Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Open Water

Talon

Review: Open Water

By Patricia Scanlon

Experienced scuba diver

user posted image

Open Water, a film about a couple who go scuba diving only to be left alone in shark-infested waters, is very disturbing, because it's all within the realm of possibility.

The movie will be scary to non-divers, because they're not familiar with the things that divers encounter.

But it will be particularly frightening for divers because they understand just how realistic it could be.

'Demonised' sharks

In this film, the cameramen and the actors were in the sea with real sharks, and I think that translated wonderfully.

It didn't have that computer-generated effect look to it and was much more scary as a result.

It's a very scary movie, but it's not a horror movie. It's more a psychological thriller.

It progressed from seeing the divers when they first surface, joking about being abandoned and gently chiding each other about being lost.

They see other boats and they think their boat is with them. But as reality sets in they go through an entire range of emotions. They're kidding, and then they're uncomfortable, and then they start bickering - it's a tremendous psychological progression.

One of the things that crossed my mind whilst watching the movie was that it'll be bad for scuba diving, because people will be afraid.

But also, once again sharks will be demonised - as they were after Stephen Spielberg's 1975 film Jaws nearly 30 years ago.

You can't imagine how beautiful sharks really are. They glide. It's easy to understand that they have cartilage, not bone. You will never see anything move with such grace.

They are not monsters. Jaws had the whole thing about the shark taking it personally and coming back to get them. That is not it.

No control

It is like if you throw someone in a pit with crocodiles. Crocodiles don't hate humans - they just eat things.

So if you are bobbing around in the ocean, and there are a large number of sharks, the chances are that they're going to develop at the very least a strong interest in you, and at the worst, they will probably attack and bite.

I have spent time in the water with sharks. Actually when you're scuba diving, sharks don't bother you too much.

What I thought was very impressive was that even though there are only two possible endings - they either get rescued or they are killed - the conclusion is still surprising.

I never would have expected it.

But the film works so well because of the fear of being left.

I think that's a very human fear.

You get the idea that the two, if not control freaks, are certainly in positions in their life where they control things.

This is such an incredible departure for them, because rather than being the movers and shakers controlling their lives around them, they are left in a situation where they have just about no control.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3561564.stm

Sounds good, I'm gonna go see it thumbsup.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Talon

• Shakezulah

• chico del nacho

• AtticusBlueprint

i havent seen it yet, but i really really want to. looks intensly scary. ive heard a lot of good things about it too.

Yeah I've wanted to go see this, it reminds me of Phonebooth which I thought was good

yeah Phonebooth was really good, altho it was very short. but i like movies that take place in one little area.

i havent seen it yet, but i really really want to. looks intensly scary. ive heard a lot of good things about it too.

All of the reviews I've read say its sacry grin2.gif

i'd like to see this, but i don't think it's worth seeing at the theatre. i'll wait until it's out for rent.

It does look good but as chico said, I`ll wait untill i can rent it or get it off a friend!

I heard this was a true story.

A couple went scuba diving, and when they surfaced their boat was gone. They never found the bodies, and the movie is supposed to be about what they must have gone through alone in the water.

Sounds terrifying, but I'm really interested in seeing it.

How come a lot of people don't want to see it in cinema's? Last time I checked they made the movies better. tongue.gif

How come a lot of people don't want to see it in cinema's? Last time I checked they made the movies better. tongue.gif

262213[/snapback]

Because going to the cinema is expensive. I usually only go if it's a movie that would make the movie better, like Spiderman or Resident Evil.

Wow, it's a lot more expensive here.

Actually, it's not that bad now that they've lowered the price of movie tickets by $3. Used to be 13 bucks to go see a movie! Renting a new release DVD costs maybe $6.

Here an ticket costs around £2.50-3.60

A rented DVD costs around the same... as does does somethink like a train ticket.

Open Water dives in at number one

Real-life thriller Open Water has gone straight to the top of the UK box office in its opening week, taking just over £1.9m.

The film is based on the true story of two scuba divers accidentally stranded in shark-infested waters after their tour boat left them behind.

Steven Spielberg's The Terminal, starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta Jones, dropped to number two.

Anchorman and Wicker Park were the other new entries in the top 10.

Retro comedy Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, went in at number five, taking £0.5m.

Romantic thriller Wicker Park, starring Josh Harnett, entered the chart at number eight, with takings of £0.3m.

Super Size Me, which follows a film-maker as he eats only McDonald's fast food for an entire month, just missed out on a top 10 place in its opening week.

The film is at number 12 but only opened at 82 cinemas - most "big" films appear on between 250 and 450 screens across the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3655506.stm

• 2 weeks later...