Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

How many of you do and don't believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#61    Diablo Blanco

Diablo Blanco

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

• People will invent all kinds of solutions to what is not explained.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 15 January 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Believing in something is healthy.
Heaven's Gate Cult

I see my savior every morning, in my mirror. My mind is my Temple.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullsh!t. ~ Richard Pryor

#62    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostHazrus, on 16 January 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

Heaven's Gate Cult

Don't forget about Jones Town and Waco..

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#63    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,107 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

If this thread is a census or poll of some sort, the Theists came on strong at first and the Atheists came on strong later.

The 'I don't know and I don't care, and I have my own ideas crowd' was strong throughout.

#64    Wildchild41

Wildchild41

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Personally I'm a Christian who went to a baptist school, yet chose to be presbyterian. I don't like the shouting preachers lol... Plus I rarely go to church.

I also believe that the entire bible is correct, yet due to certain facts that they had back then, and it being passed generation from generation, some information  is off. (The earth being created in 7 days and people living for 300 years is due to the calender they used at the time)

Posted Image

#65    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,329 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

I agree, I am grateful for the Bible there are some very useful teachings on the human condition in there and it does provide a moral compass to many - rightly or wrongly is another debate.

As to Jesus, we couldn't ask for a better Teacher.

Who and what Jesus and God are may not be the same as what people have understood them to be and in this I remain open to new insights spiritually.  I also don't think God belongs to just the Bible or just to Christians or the religious there have been attempts to comprehend this being that is God in many civilisations and all across the world in various beliefs, I do not discount wisdom when I hear it just because it didn't come from the usual sources.

Amen preacha!

Yes I believe in God 100% ;)

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#66    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,329 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

View Postshadowhive, on 15 January 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

I think if a god exists it isn't anything like the one held by most religions. Why He comes of as being too petty, too much like a child and, above all, too small. An all powerful god decides to come down on one planet, a planet out of billions? No. A lot of religions seem far more concerned with grandising the human race which seems seems rather silly. We know that there's this giant universe out there yet god seems only interested in us? It sounds absurd when looked at with any degree of thought.

Personally? No I don't think there is a god. And eveen if there is, I don't see why such an entity would have even the slightest interest in our race.

Or how about a god who only cares about one particular nation? As we evolve our minds and spirits evolve. Compared to a nation we are small, compared to the planet even smaller, compared to a universe? But we, with our little minds still contemplate "him"... he hasnt changed but we are constantly changing. If we say "I believe" what are we striving for? What is the significance of knowing god???

Shadowhive these questions arent for you I was just inspired by your post... although I have to say I dont agree that god is not interested in our race... I think he's interested in our race as a whole and each of us individually as well.

Edited by SpiritWriter, 17 January 2013 - 06:19 AM.

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#67    Theater of Dreams

Theater of Dreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• 'Open your eyes, Victoria!'

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

I believe in a god. Just not a god any religion I know of tells of. I think there has to be an origin to the all-encompassing matter we see everywhere. Maybe it came from this "God" people keep squabbling about? I'm not even sure that the God I believe in would be a living entity. I'm confused.

Dream Theater

#68    V0ID

V0ID

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

I acknowledge the existence of the one Designer & Creator of all that exist & non-exist.

#69    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

#70    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,719 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

As I always say. The only way I've even heard of God is from others. That alone is simply not enough. If I were to "believe", I'd be lying to myself. I think a lot of people are in that certain predicament when they go through this. They say they believe but don't truly believe it.

If anything, God is the universe, we are the universe, we are God essentially. We find our own way and solve our own inner problems. People just create the concept of God to deal with such. Im learning to accept that this whole thing we are living in is more complex than we can imagine. The different dimensions and everything of the like, it just feels to lazy to say, oh God did it.

Our brain is extremely complicated, I feel there is so much more we don't know about it and the answers they could provide would solve a lot of problems and reveal so much more about ourselves than we even know and capable of.

#71    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 17 January 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Or how about a god who only cares about one particular nation? As we evolve our minds and spirits evolve. Compared to a nation we are small, compared to the planet even smaller, compared to a universe? But we, with our little minds still contemplate "him"... he hasnt changed but we are constantly changing. If we say "I believe" what are we striving for? What is the significance of knowing god???

Shadowhive these questions arent for you I was just inspired by your post... although I have to say I dont agree that god is not interested in our race... I think he's interested in our race as a whole and each of us individually as well.

You must not be talking about the biblical god.

http://bible.cc/isaiah/40-17.htm

Before him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as worthless and less than nothing.

http://bible.cc/daniel/4-35.htm

All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?"

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#72    Glenville86

Glenville86

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes.

#73    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,139 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I believe in no god(s).

Wait... is bacon a god? No?

Then no gods.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#74    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,329 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 17 January 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

You must not be talking about the biblical god.

http://bible.cc/isaiah/40-17.htm

Before him all the nations are as nothing; they are regarded by him as worthless and less than nothing.

http://bible.cc/daniel/4-35.htm

All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: "What have you done?"

These scriptures are comparing the size and power of god to the nations... not his compassion. I am talking about the god of all creation. I dont know if you are being sarcastic but people who find god in the scriptures generally regard him as such so I would have to say yes... I am talking about the god of the bible. :D

Edited by SpiritWriter, 17 January 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#75    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,495 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I do not accept any made up deity. (of course none exist anyways)
I do not adhere to the concept of personifying and anthropomorphizing nature and the cosmos.

Who are "we" to try to understand a supposed omnipotent being? Humans with minds of their own who should be thinking for themselves rather than having others dictate to them what to believe just because others say so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users