Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 5 votes

Lycans

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
412 replies to this topic

#61    Falian

Falian

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:47 PM

I think I understand what you are saying:  You are saying that lycanthropy being used soley as another term for werewolf came from underworld, correct?  If that is what you are saying, then I will agree with you completely, seeing as lycanthropy typically refers to a condition in which a person transforms from human to an animalistic form, which can be wolf, tiger, bear, rat, etc.  If this is not what you are saying, please enlighten me so I can understand what you do mean.  Thank you for responding so quickly by the way!  grin2.gif

#62    fluw

fluw

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

Falian, I think they mean the word "Lycan" came from the movie Underworld, but you said it was in D&D. Then paranormal guy tried to explain something hard to understand..but I think he still believe the term Lycan was popularized by Underworld...I think.
Because anyway, Lycanthropy comes from the old greek, and was used at the time...

#63    paranormalguy

paranormalguy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:48 AM

I guess I'm being a 'bit confusing, here it is simplified

Past Uses (before Underworld) - Lycanthropy  - Since Ancient times - Meaning "Wolf-Man-case"
----------------------------------------- Lycanthrope  - Very Recent times   - Medical term - delusions involving confusion of species

Post Underworld ------------------ Lycan ----------- Since release          - A person who changes into wolf/human hybrid
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Said creature has no basis in facts and is a product of authors imagination

Since Underworld there has been an explosion in the use of the term Lycan, which as shown in my other posts is not only incorrect in grammar and language but in several other factors. It is misused and overused, thanks to this piece of fiction there is a massive "epidemic" on the internet concerning these Lycans. For those that are simply "Role players" then have fun....to the others, quit being ignorant and grow up. Some people could maybe get away with vampirism but maybe pick something that can't be traced back only a few years. A werewolf would be much more convenient than a "Lycan". My studies and writing have debunked...if i may say....this rediculous subject. People make threads like "Lycans aren't Werewolves" and stuff, well it's pure crap. They aren't even in the same category. Werewolves were around long before they were written about, granted it could be the creation of man or some other case but thats like putting "Elves are not Humans". It's rediculous, I know lycans don't exist, and werewolves could very well not either but the difference is the way each "creature" came about. One is clearly and obviously fiction(lycan) and the other may have some basis in legend or even reality(werewolf)

Edited by paranormalguy, 16 October 2008 - 05:51 AM.

#64    The Last Black Angel

The Last Black Angel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

View PostDarcy Blake, on 30 August 2008 - 10:16 PM, said:

The term "Lycan" doesn't come from the film Underworld. The term had been used centuries before the release of the film.

deadtotheworld, I applaud you for telling it like it is. Although, must inform you that there are lycanthropes that can actually transform; in fact, I have seen a friend of mine transform once. . .

IS there any way you could help me get in contact with this friend? I need to learn how to do it myself, snip

Edited by Superman, 29 November 2009 - 11:59 PM.
removed personal information

#65    jay123

jay123

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:47 PM

I think A mod should probs delete the above post. Or better yet mate, edit that out and send a personal message. Don't want to be giving out details like that on the interwebs.

Edited by jay123, 29 November 2009 - 11:48 PM.

It's like the elders told me, no one person can do everything, but everyone can do something.~ Immortal technique & Akir.

#66    wondering6

wondering6

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

View PostCaitSith, on 04 October 2008 - 06:19 AM, said:

It seems kids like this are ruining the werewolf subject overall. Is there anyone out there who would like a thread on real werewolves, as in the spiritual path of shapeshifting through shamanic or pagan ritual. I have tons of historic info on this common worldwide occult phenomenon, that has very firm roots as a real and present practice, but have yet to find a thread that isn't. . well. . . this.
This isn't the underworld its the real world, lets discuss things that relate to that fact.
That said, if anyone would like I may post a real werewolf thread based in fact and historic evidence of spiritual shapeshifting from prehistoric time through the middle ages and into modern times. A place to discuss cultural legends and references, the relation of werewolf beliefs to witchcraft, shamanism, and skinwalkers.
I just don't want it to turn into this, or for people to jump to the conclusion that its going to be like this and come along and start badgering me about starting it in the first place due to this sort of thing.
If people are interested in such a thread let me know, and be assured that I am a reasonably sound minded member of society who practices spiritual shapeshifting as part of my shamanic path, who happens to have a small library on this subject and related material.
I have been researching the subject of werewolves for nearly ten years, and collecting the information that I find, lets say, more firmly grounded in the real world. Let me tell you, UM isn't the only place where this stuff goes on, riddling my research with false information, based in fantasy and fiction.
If anyone else is interested (as I hope they will be,) on getting down to the true nature of the beast, just let me know.

Yes i would love some info!!! idc what the non believers who just want to post how much they hate it and how its all lies,(blah blah blah) say. I'd really appreciate an info you have. Thx!

#67    wondering6

wondering6

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:31 AM

View PostDarcy Blake, on 30 August 2008 - 10:16 PM, said:

The term "Lycan" doesn't come from the film Underworld. The term had been used centuries before the release of the film.

deadtotheworld, I applaud you for telling it like it is. Although, must inform you that there are lycanthropes that can actually transform; in fact, I have seen a friend of mine transform once. . .

I find this veryyyyy interesting. im glad you got to experience it... i wish i could... any way you could make that possible??? I've really been into the whole spirituial/physical wolf thing as well as vampires. im dying to find the exact truth for myself. any help is greatly appreciated.

#68    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

I think just closing this topic would be a good idea, before we hit an all time low in the lycan/werewolf topics...

#69    Harakuro

Harakuro

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

• The unknown is to be known, and what is to be known will be known to me.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:39 AM

I guess this would also go with my theory of the Vampire Effect. Where some people have characteristic features as mythical creatures. Of course Vampire Effect is my own term that i have invented myself, if there is a proper word for the effect, i am not aware of it.

Like Werewolf and going through certain change in behavior through full moon.

Vampire effects occurs when a person becomes more stronger, faster, cardio, at sun set. And through out the night. They also enjoy the taste of Blood.  But unable to to much physically wise when the sun is out.

So I guess if those things are possible to happen to humans, your Lycan theory is very probable. Yet the whole transforming into a wolf, is hardly convincing. If it were true, we would have heard more about sightings of strange creatures in the would, such as big foot and what not.

What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

#70    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Werewolves don't change during the full moon, they change during a state of rage. A change during such a time is an excellent explanation (and excuse) for killing someone important to you.

Vampires are not immensely strong, superhuman creatures. They are incredibly weak. Because they're dead... They don't enjoy the taste of blood, they don't even drink blood. They consume entire portions of their victim's bodies.

#71    Harakuro

Harakuro

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

View PostEbonykrow, on 30 November 2009 - 02:01 PM, said:

Werewolves don't change during the full moon, they change during a state of rage. A change during such a time is an excellent explanation (and excuse) for killing someone important to you.

Vampires are not immensely strong, superhuman creatures. They are incredibly weak. Because they're dead... They don't enjoy the taste of blood, they don't even drink blood. They consume entire portions of their victim's bodies.
Yes but i never said that Vampires exist. I state the effect some humans have at sun set. This is my own Pet theory, because that is what happens to me. At sun set, i have a lot more energy, i do Karate that time, because i am stronger, faster and my cardio is a lot higher.

What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

#72    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

View PostSolidSnake, on 30 November 2009 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yes but i never said that Vampires exist. I state the effect some humans have at sun set. This is my own Pet theory, because that is what happens to me. At sun set, i have a lot more energy, i do Karate that time, because i am stronger, faster and my cardio is a lot higher.

I didn't say they're real either, I'm simply stating what the vampire is and what it isn't.

Sure, it's completely natural for people to be more active during the evening. I don't know many that aren't.

#73    Harakuro

Harakuro

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

View PostEbonykrow, on 30 November 2009 - 02:22 PM, said:

I didn't say they're real either, I'm simply stating what the vampire is and what it isn't.

Sure, it's completely natural for people to be more active during the evening. I don't know many that aren't.
Is it normal for them to have a significant change physically when the sun goes down? I'm not talking about simply being more active, I'm talking about a significant change. Where normally at day you could sprint for 30 seconds without tiring, but at night sprint for 5 minutes and still be able to go no problem.

Most people i know, will not change, they might be able to do a lot more activity at night, only because we work and go to school at day, and at night is they only time we actually have a life.

But for people to just change physically in their stats, i believe theres something much more than natural.

That being said is, what could back up this main Lycan theory.

"Vampire Effect" is again my theory, only because the way i change at night is kinda like i draw power of the night, and vampires walk the night and what not. Just added them together, still looking if there is actually a real Term for it.

Edited by SolidSnake, 30 November 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#74    Blooded_Butterfly

Blooded_Butterfly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

"Schnaffler:The term "Lycan" comes from the film Underworld"
Vampire Clan (2002) used the term "Lycan" as well.

"NosmoKing: So do Lycans want people to know they exist or not?"

AP Lycans perhaps don't mind the common view to know, as well as mental ones. As to the other form of certain Wolf like cretures, I assume most would like to keep such a thing private. As to pride who does not like to tell how delighted they are of there heritage?Mundane fool's best only knowing information best served for fools. Closed minded best to serve them tiny boxes, with only as much as they can handle.

"Schnaffle: Can you show me where, because the only use of the word I can find is in reference to the film and a Jedi from the Star Wars expanded universe?

Deadtotheworld: I am aware of the origins of "Lycan" from Lycanthropy thanks."
D

#75    Blooded_Butterfly

Blooded_Butterfly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:16 AM

I dint finish what I was typing...my computer had a fit with me.
The last quotation, I was typing was not D but was "Does no one Google anymore".
If one truly wishes to know something, do research. -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users