Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

E-cigarette adverts banned by watchdog

Still Waters

Three adverts for e-cigarettes have been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), in the first such action to be taken against the tobacco alternative products.

A television and a radio advert for E-Lites and a television advert for Sky Cigs were banned. ASA said that the adverts did not make it clear that the products contained nicotine.

http://www.independe...og-8837484.html

E-cigs are now being looked at by many state officials--how do they go about taxing it is probably the real question here. Many smokers are turning to these E-cigs as an alternative for helping oneself to quit those cancer sticks permanently. As a former smoker and someone whose used the "volcano" e-cig for about a month and a half, I had finally found a product that helped me to overcome my very bad habit. The nicotine flavor is what helped with myself slowly weening off the real stuff. Whenever I got the urge, I'd pick the e-cig up, inhaled and blew out some vapor mist. No smell, tasted the nicotine, placed it between my lips, watched the smoke (vapor mist) come out and was actually satisfied with all the action. The main thing is I "stopped" for good--one of the happiest moments for me in my life and a real blessing in disguise.

As of now, I believe those tobacco corporations are trying real hard to "lobby" for regulations concerning these e-cigs because they are definitely cutting into their profits. Then, like always, you'll have a few complaining about those who are "smoking" these e-cigs in public and the health hazards it may cause. Cmon, some of these people need to get a grip on reality...it's vapor, much similar to when one jumps in the shower with closed doors, water running hot, the elusive white mist forming in your shower stall etc. Pharmaceuticals are also upset because buying has eased up on those nicotine patches that are supposed to have helped smokers, etc., and this all started because someone in China invented the e-cig...

Edited by NiteMarcher
  • Like 1

The government don't like it because people are using e-cigs instead of smoking and they haven't found a way of taxing it yet!

• Like 1

Most recently, the Attorney General back here in my hometown was more concerned about regulating E-Cigs than having to regulate the labeling of GMOs and the runoff of pesticides into our clear blue ocean and the contamination of our beautiful lands soil. It goes to show what corporate money and lobbying can do as in the case of GMOs vs. what a little guy can do in trying to promote an invention that could help many to try and quit smoking.

Edited by NiteMarcher

I've been an ecig user for 2 years after quitting a 30 year two pack a day cigarette habit.

Just so you understand, nicotine has no flavor. The liquids have added food flavorings... some taste vaguely like tobacco (although if you ask me, they taste like unburned tobacco smells... the tobacco flavored ones have almost have more of an herbal or tea-like flavor)

I'd like all these "watchdog" groups to produce studies that show just how addictive nicotine really is when it's delivered via vapor vs smoke. After successfully quitting a couple of years ago, I'm kind of convinced that it wasn't the nicotine I was particularly addicted to... it was everything else that was toxic in cigarettes that I was addicted to. When I switched to 0 nicotine liquids, I didn't even notice that I had swiched, for almost a week! If it was really that addictive, I would have noticed SOMETHING. But I didn't. I'm not hte only person I've heard this from... most I know who have gone from the standard 18 or 12 milligram nicotine in their ecigs switched to 0 without even noticing or feeling any side effects.

The reality is that it's well known that nicotine isn't well absorbed in a vapor form. When it's inhaled into the lungs it's mostly water... when you inhale smoke, it's particulate. The particles in smoke adhear to the fine hairs in the lungs and hang on to deliver the nicotine and all those other toxins. When vapor is inhaled, there's nothing to adhear to those hairs (cilla) so it just kind of dissapates. Ecig users find that any nicotine they get into their system is absorbed through the mucal membranes in the mouth... which isn't nearly as efficient or effective in delivering nicotine.

Most studies that have been done in regards to the "addictiveness" of nicotine have been in regard to particulate smoke being the delivery, without any consideration into what happens when you remove the tar, ash, carbon monoxide, strichnyne, etc and whatever 3000 other chemicals are in cigarettes... the addictiveness properties of nicotine seem to diminish exponentially with vapor. So is it really the nicotine that is addictive?? Or something else? Based on my personal experience, I'm going with the something else.

Oh, my oncologist is a big fan of ecigs and he actively recommends that all of his smoking patients make the switch.

Edited by MissMelsWell
  • Like 1