Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Unbelief, the world’s third-largest religion

unbelief atheists agnostics

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#16    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 27 December 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

That's a whopper of a strawman you've built yourself there.

Posted Image

If god is at the centre if religious people lives then logically it follows that unbelief replaces him with one self, it's not gonna be another deity is it? It's yourself who is god and becomes central in the universe. Ie individualism, atomism abd atheism!

#17    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

If god is at the centre if religious people lives then logically it follows that unbelief replaces him with one self, it's not gonna be another deity is it? It's yourself who is god and becomes central in the universe. Ie individualism, atomism abd atheism!

Why does one have to believe only in one thing???  Has humanity become so narrow minded that the only way to be accepted is just to choose one thing and side against everything else???

I believe in balance, that I am equal to everyone else and they are equal to me.  I try not to place myself at the center no more than I would anyone else.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#18    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 27 December 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Why does one have to believe only in one thing???  Has humanity become so narrow minded that the only way to be accepted is just to choose one thing and side against everything else???

You reach a fork in the road, one path leads east, the other leads west. How then is it possible for you to take both paths simultaneously?

At some point, someone has to chose.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#19    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,017 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 27 December 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

You reach a fork in the road, one path leads east, the other leads west. How then is it possible for you to take both paths simultaneously?

At some point, someone has to chose.

I choose freedom.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,032 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

WOO HOO! We're #3!! We're #3!! :)

I'll sit down and shut up now.

#21    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 27 December 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Sorry Lion6969, it's not as black and white as you make it to be.

It's as black and White as I said.

It's said on this thread that religious people have god at the centre of their universe, so logically it follows that irreligious folk replace that with something else, now if your atheist then lean towards it's doctrine and philosophy unless your a band wagon atheist and it's easier to jump on band wagons. You lean towards atomism, individualism, etc etc, these are the philosophical foundations of atheism, these philosophies centred around the self, the self is god. So the irreligious replace god with themselves.

#22    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

It does not logically follow. For an atheist, God is a man made phenomenon. It needs replacing with nothing. Maybe you should read about atheists and how they actually see the world rather than just making something up (or simply repeating what someone else made up).

#23    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

It's as black and White as I said.

It's said on this thread that religious people have god at the centre of their universe, so logically it follows that irreligious folk replace that with something else, now if your atheist then lean towards it's doctrine and philosophy unless your a band wagon atheist and it's easier to jump on band wagons. You lean towards atomism, individualism, etc etc, these are the philosophical foundations of atheism, these philosophies centred around the self, the self is god. So the irreligious replace god with themselves.

I mostly agree. Although as many people probably do view themselves as God or a god, I'm sure most of them don't. They have however replaced what would be the position of God in their lives, with themselves. Just wanted to clarify that a little.

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#24    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,792 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

Those who claim their unbelief is not a religion, they are kidding themselves because their unbelief is also built on the foundations of faith, ie they have faith in the belief that there is no god, because it cannot be proven definitively, their whole belief of unbelief is faith based just like a believers. Lol, the irony is sweet!
You're not too bright. Just because you believe in a god doesn't mean it has any relevance to a non-believer.

#25    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,017 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 27 December 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

It does not logically follow. For an atheist, God is a man made phenomenon. It needs replacing with nothing. Maybe you should read about atheists and how they actually see the world rather than just making something up (or simply repeating what someone else made up).

You're wasting you're time, he seems like one of those christians who think they are going to heaven to watch down on those who aren't one of them burning in agony in the lake of fire with a great big grin on his face.

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#26    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 27 December 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

It does not logically follow. For an atheist, God is a man made phenomenon. It needs replacing with nothing.

I understand that, however in religion, God is the center of everything they do. They do what is according to God. In aitheism, they make decisions in life entirely by themselves, and don't follow anyone or anything. Therefore their "God" is themselves because they only follow their own decisions. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

Posted Image

#27    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 27 December 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

You believe that there is no god, that's a belief based on faith, so the question you ask applies to you too. However I never said you have to believe anything but you still will believe in things regardless, like you believe there is no god when it is not a substantiated certainty.

I believe in balance, that I am equal to everyone else and they are equal to me.  I try not to place myself at the center no more than I would anyone else.

Sure that's sounds empathetic and sweet on paper, but if you adhere to atheistic philosophy then the individual takes priority, ie the self. Existence serves the self? No? Yes? Ofcourse it is in your philosophy, cause the devout religious person serves god, and still see everyone as his equal etc but he serves one greater than him and everything. Diametrical opposition to this is logically self worship (not ritualistic) but serving the self over and above everything, you claim otherwise but you really know it's true! I was atheist remember and I was atheist cause I knew and adhered to it's philosophy. When you serve god, the existence us temporal and therefore a means to an end, when you serve yourself, then existence is everything, and everything within it (ie materialism) is the route to success. Thus the self becomes of upmost importance over anything.

#28    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,032 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

So the irreligious replace god with themselves.

I see your point, but as an agnostic, I have to disagree.

#29    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

In other words, when you follow no one, you follow yourself. From a religious person's view, you're replacing what would be God's position (in their eyes) with yourself. The vise-versa can be said from the eyes of an aitheist. He could see a religious person replacing themselves with what they believe to be an imaginary figurehead called God.

At least I think that's what Lion6969 is saying...

Posted Image

#30    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 27 December 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

I mostly agree. Although as many people probably do view themselves as God or a god, I'm sure most of them don't. They have however replaced what would be the position of God in their lives, with themselves. Just wanted to clarify that a little.

You see my friend the ones that claim they have not replaced god with themselves ate generally band wagon atheists, they don't actually fully understand it's premises, implications, and philosophical foundations. I was atheist cause I knew and strongly believed in those foundations. Most of them don't realise it, it does not take deep critical thinking and pondering to come to the realisation that removing god from the centre you logically replace him with yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users