Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Explained Mysteries

the Shadamaun

This thread was inspired by a fruitless debate I had with someone in another topic, but the idea had promising applications.

If you had to explain any "supernatural" or "unexplained" phenomena using real world science, how would you do it? What ideas might you have concerning a possible practical explaination for the seemingly "unexplainable?

This is by NO MEANS a thread intended to dismiss, discredit or debunk any commonly held beliefs about various topics like: Alien abduction or missing time, biblical miracles, cryptozoology (demystifying "mystical" creatures), ghosts, psychic abilities, etc... Rather, this is an open forum, for believers and skeptics alike, who may have various ideas as to how to explain the "supernatural" using "natural" terms and concepts.

If you are easily offended by the idea that someone may be able to come up with a real world explaination for your favorite "Unexplained Mystery", this thread may not be for you.

If you are just looking to debunk or flame someones favorite "Unexplained Mystery", this thread is DEFFINATELY not for you.

If you have an open mind, and are willing to discuss, and hear others theories, as to how the supernatural MAY have natural origins or explainations, then step this way for:

EXPLAINED MYSTERIES

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RollingThunder06

• the Shadamaun

• oh_spun_1

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

Although new to this group I am thrilled to offer up my humble opinions in a environment in which it will not immediately be considered ’crazy’ or an exercise in complete lunacy. With that stated, I am also thrilled to discuss this topic openly as it has been on my mind for the past two days and I wish to thank ’the Shadamaum’ for starting this thread. To me personally when dealing with unexplainable phenomena I use this matrix of thought when considering the data presented:

1.Does the claimant or witnesses making the claim stand to profit from it (money, fame, etc.)

2.Is the claimant or witness emotionally stable and/or made other such claims in the past.(such as attention seeking behaviors)

3.Is there a recorded history (oral or written) about the phenomena.

4.Has there been other reports on the phenomena by reliable sources. (a personal experience is, in my opinion, a reliable source)

5.Is there trace evidence.

6.Was it collected properly with little or no contamination/cross-contamination.

7.Has the phenomena been properly documented (this includes personal experiences)

These are my 7 steps to the paranormal. I do believe in phenomena and get upset at people who complain about cover-ups or no one believing them. Its this line of thought that allows critical trace evidence and accurate documentation to go uncollected. This data is needed to determine if the experience was in fact a phenomena and people who do nothing about their experience cause us to be denied the raw data needed.

I also personally discredit anyone who claims to be a expert on any subject or theory unless they hold a doctrine degree on the subject. I will (and tend to) believe people who are reporting personal experiences and state ‘I know this sounds crazy but…’ or ‘I have no idea what it was but…’. These are the ‘bread and butter’ of these phenomena and the keys to discovering the truth about them (phenomena).

Great post oh. I am not a scientific person buy will give this a shot.

UFO's/abduction/missing time~ our own government caring out experiments that they know would be considered inhuman if the public found out about it. The space craft they use, even though they are the best we have, are keep secret and use for these missions. The experiments they are performing are that important.

Ghosts/audio/moving things/apparitions~mind control. People can make themselves see things and hear things. If wanted bad enough these sights and sounds can be projected on to film and tape. Those who aren't looking for these and yet it happens, someone else is projecting thoughts into the house or where ever so the innocent person eventually comes subject to seeing and hearing them. It is the same thing with objects moving.

Bibical Events~don't think there is much mystery here. Say for example if the Bible states that God said within 7 days a certain town will be destroyed. In 7 days an earthquake comes and it is gone. People are quick to jump looking for a natural reason for the town to be destroyed. If it is an earthquake, fine with me, God had the last say.

Physic abilities/telekinesis~human brain waves. Every brain uses electronic impulses to rely messages to the body. Radio stations use waves to send music until it reaches a radio with the same frequency. It then converts it back in a form we can understand. If a person produces a loud enough signal, even if they don't mean to, someone else acts as a tower and receives these signals. A physic dealing with a crime scene can pick up on the criminals signals which is probably always on his mind. They can then place the pieces together.

Mystical creatures~some from legends because people need to explain things. Other from deformities that naturally happened in the reproducing chain. Some may have been from defect in DNA and some from environment changes. Eventually they die off not be seen again unless it happens again. Todays findings of two headed fish and frogs are an example. When this happens in a larger animal such as a dog, for a short period this two headed dog is seen roaming villages and countrysides then dies. Now it is a legend.

Ok, that is my two cents. Any change back? :lol: I know there are a lot of holes in these ideas but I found it fun to think it out.

Shadamaun- good luck with this thread...until the web trolls descend like the harpies they are. :)

My whole reason for even perusing this site was orginially the thought that there were like-minded people here willing to echange theories, concepts and ideas. Unfortunately and puzzling all the same, it is loaded with persons who only want to attempt to prove, not that they are right but that you are wrong....about everthing you say.

My personal point of view on most topics here is that it is all relative to open interpretation by each individual. Unlike the web trolls I believe there are many possibilities. Everything cannot be dismissed as hoaxes or misinterpretations of normal events or objects.

The problem is here is that no matter what confirming data you supply several trolls dismiss it so there is little point in bothering actually. :( Even when you discuss the find of a manufactured metallic object found in geographic strata 2 million years old and there is no explanation left other than somehow someone was around so that the object found its way to be encased as rock formed around it over the ages.

We'll see how long before they start poking fun you guys. :)

Ive been kicking around this theory about OBEs (out of body experiences) for a while now, and it popped into my head again after I had another experience similar to one a couple of days ago.

I was extremely exhausted, so I decided to take a nap. At some point, I think my mind tried to wake up before my body was ready to follow suit. It was a very surreal experience. I tried to sit up, but it felt like the back of my head was encased in cement and attached to the couch. I wasnt even sure I WAS awake, but I seem to remember looking around the room, and hearing things that were going on. At one point, I thought I was looking down at myself. My surroundings were very familiar (as I was in my living room), but something had an "other worldly" feel about the whole scene.

Because I had to go back to work soon, I was conscious of the fact that I was sleeping, and I guess I was keeeping myself from falling too deeply asleep.

My theory on OBEs is that perhaps you can reach a certain state of unconsciousness where you arent quite asleep, but arent quite awake. The things you hear around you, the memory of the room you fell asleep in, and even perhaps unknowingly opening your eyes and looking around may combine with that hazy, "pre-dream" mental state to give the impression that you arent attached to your mortal coil, as it were. Certainly weve all had the experience of falling asleep and not realizing it (up late at night watching tv then, hours later, you sit up and not even remember dozing off); if this happened, it could be extremely disconcerting.

Just my 2/3 nickle. :yes:

Shadamaun- good luck with this thread...until the web trolls descend like the harpies they are. :)

My whole reason for even perusing this site was orginially the thought that there were like-minded people here willing to echange theories, concepts and ideas. Unfortunately and puzzling all the same, it is loaded with persons who only want to attempt to prove, not that they are right but that you are wrong....about everthing you say.

My personal point of view on most topics here is that it is all relative to open interpretation by each individual. Unlike the web trolls I believe there are many possibilities. Everything cannot be dismissed as hoaxes or misinterpretations of normal events or objects.

The problem is here is that no matter what confirming data you supply several trolls dismiss it so there is little point in bothering actually. :( Even when you discuss the find of a manufactured metallic object found in geographic strata 2 million years old and there is no explanation left other than somehow someone was around so that the object found its way to be encased as rock formed around it over the ages.

We'll see how long before they start poking fun you guys. :)

Not true. Us trolls simply ask for some proof. We don't live in a fantasy world. With that said most of us hope for the day when it will be proven real.

Not true. Us trolls simply ask for some proof. We don't live in a fantasy world. With that said most of us hope for the day when it will be proven real.

Thats almost irrelevant to this thread, though. I'm not out to prove something BELIEVABLE, only to make something UNDERSTANDABLE.

I dont ask for any proof one way or the other on this thread, only that you try to back up your hypothesis using real world rules and explanations.

EDIT:

THAT, Rollingthunder, was the first sign that the WebTrolls have caught the scent... :unsure2:

Edited by the Shadamaun

the minds a crazy powerful thing and i sure that can happen i did it once to. it was sweet

Shadamaun,

When you speak of science keep it scientific ,verifiable data :after all ; :blink: what we call science is still in its infancy stage :blink: I believe mankind is still living in the dark ages and I don't see any proof that we have really left it. Too make my point--Statistics will bare out these facts . What the chance of some one for example giving a tarot card reading and it coming true or tells about the persons living condition at all . A Billion to one : psychics can often tell events ,give people names ; documented by police in murder investigation when they have no leads, one Billion to one. A psycho -therapist definitely believes in the unknown he interpret dreams doesn't he, and has training and accuracy like surgeon analysing dreams sometimes telling the patient future as did Karl Jung.

Well if you don't believe the mind exist and that psychology and psychiatry is full of it with their dream interpreting :D you have just proved my point we are living in the dark ages :)

I enjoyed it. Allowed me a little insight to see how other ideas come into play. :tu:

Shadamaun, this is a great thead, for those who do have theories

Rolling thunder, I had the same idea about alien abductions as you did, I belive that there is more to our governments than we know. there would be reasoning behind it, in that we may never know.

I have posted a good thread on star children, I think you may find that interesting. It sort of connects a bit with your theory.

I also think that it has alot to do with our consciousness of the brain. whether or not we are in tune enough with the power of our minds to see things or the ability to do things. Most of the time it our way as humans to just dismiss anything out of the ordinary, because it is our nature to do so, if not we are called :wacko: our minds are an amazing thing for example. can any of you read this........

Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

who is too say that some people may have the ability to understand what thier mind can do or can't do, or that some can see things that maybe just maybe others can't, in actual reality, many people who believe they saw things or can do things will forever be seen as :wacko: becuase it isn't the way of rational thought but what really is in society. This is just to make ya think, that's all

I can't really explain anything but I have noticed alot of common things when someone tells me a story about a mysterious creature...(like bigfoot, chupacabra, jersey devil..etc)

I find in almost all cases there is 3 ways the story is told,

Either they see the creature/creatures at night(usually when alone)

Alot of the stories are told by children or young adults.

Or in a farmers field.

(almost every story told of the chupacabra is in a farmers field)

It seems all the stories I have encountered have one of these attributes. I don't know if this means anything but it is something I have noticed.

The problem with the theory that all bigfoot, lake monsters, etc are mis-identification of very real and identifiable life forms is that there are documented cases in law enforcement reports made by law enforcement personnel and Federal Agents in the National Park Service and the Department of Fish and Wildlife having personally seen them. These are trained observers not given to active imaginations or jumping to conclusions while performing their official duties.