Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone catch Survivorman's Top 10 show?

Rafterman

I've always been a huge fan of Les Stroud's show Survivorman. He stopped making shows for a few years, but over the past few weeks, the Discovery Channel has been airing a series of new episodes - two two parters and a "best of" episode.

In the "best of"episode that aired last Sunday, he's basically answering viewer questions and one of those was about whether or not he had ever encountered Bigfoot. I don't have a clip from the show, but he relates the same story discussed on a morning radio show earlier this year. Here is the audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y5aO5XdgT0

I find Les to be a credible guy and while he doesn't specifically say he had a Bigfoot encounter, he does talk about the experience as something unique and not replicated in all of his countless survival adventures around the world.

What do you think? What native Alaskan animal could have made such a sound as he describes it?

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to check out the new season. Love me some Survivorman!

I also agree that Les is a very credible source. It's going to take more than a credible source to prove the existence of Bigfoot, however....

• Like 1

Yeah I heard the interview, he said it sounded like a Gorilla. Proof of nothing, but interesting nonetheless coming from him.

Yeah I heard the interview, he said it sounded like a Gorilla. Proof of nothing, but interesting nonetheless coming from him.

I agree, but I am curious as to what native Alaskan animal could make such a sound.

I remember a few years back when I lived near Ithaca, NY, my wife at the time and I were awakened by what could only be described as monkey sounds coming from the trees in our backyard. When we looked out the bedroom window, there were clearly multiple creatures moving quickly through the upper branches of the trees and we heard what we both described as "monkey sounds". I grabbed the flashlight and my rifle and went to check it out and it quickly became apparent what it was - two amorous racoons getting their freak on.

• Like 1

About a month ago I took a before and after pic of my research partner behind a blind we found. When it got dark, and as we were leaving the area, I heard what sounded like monkey chatter coming from the direction of the blind, and it was loud. I had never heard anything like it before or since, I still think it was a racoon, even though when we went back to the area a couple of days later, the blind was gone. Which reminds me, I'm gonna have to dl those pics off my camera.

Edited by Stardrive

I Think that show is as fake as the day is long. I Don't take anything he says as being truthful when it comes to what he has or has not encountered during his time in the woods.

I Think that show is as fake as the day is long. I Don't take anything he says as being truthful when it comes to what he has or has not encountered during his time in the woods.

Bear Grylls mancrush noted.

• Like 3

All the survivor shows are pretty much faked because he has a camera crew with him and they aren't trying to do anything but record. They got food and they do set up stuff.

However, I have to wonder about the sound he heard because I don't recall having heard anyone claim it sounded like an ape. However, like Stardrive said, anecdotal stories are really proof of nothing. However, I'd give his story some credibility due to his knowledge of animals and the fact he hasn't come right out and screamed, "I found Bigfoot!", to the media. Sounds more like he's unsure or doesn't want to get caught up in the whole Bigfoot thing.

I would add that his experience sort of parallels my own, only all I ever experienced was a foul, musky odor, never actually saw or heard anything, and just like his experience it isn't proof of anything. In his case his experience carries a bit more weight than just the average guy, like myself, because we've seem him doing his thing on the show.

On the one hand I've heard from people whom I consider to be very credible who've seen what they believed to be a Bigfoot, and on the other hand I have to scratch my head and ask, "Where's the a body, or a skeleton, or something tangible that can be checked for DNA. Which makes me sound a little pschotic. Who typed that? You did. What?

I didn't know you had an odd experience of your own Ken. Interesting. If I didn't know any better I'd say you're seeking answers.

All the survivor shows are pretty much faked because he has a camera crew with him and they aren't trying to do anything but record. They got food and they do set up stuff.

However, I have to wonder about the sound he heard because I don't recall having heard anyone claim it sounded like an ape. However, like Stardrive said, anecdotal stories are really proof of nothing. However, I'd give his story some credibility due to his knowledge of animals and the fact he hasn't come right out and screamed, "I found Bigfoot!", to the media. Sounds more like he's unsure or doesn't want to get caught up in the whole Bigfoot thing.

Les does not have a camera crew with him at all. He takes the cameras himself. He also places cameras and walks up a mountain to be filmed for the show, just to walk back down and get the camera and climb it again.

As for the " other guy ", yes, they have been " caught " sleeping in motels, and having food, and they do have a crew....Les is alone.

To comment on Les's audio...Not sure what to say, I wish there was more...Hell, maybe 5 minutes later he says " to my amazement, it was a ".

I didn't know you had an odd experience of your own Ken. Interesting. If I didn't know any better I'd say you're seeking answers.

Thing is it was just a funky smell, for all I know it was a group of smelly Frenchmen taking a hike nearby, however I've smelled all sorts of creatures in my years of hiking, hunting and camping. However this was like nothing I'd ever smelled before and as I said, it was just a smell. It wasn't until later that I heard the stories of two guys I felt I could take at their word who claimed to actually have a close encounter with Bigfoot. In the end, it really comes down to the credibility of the person telling the his story, since that's really all it is, a story.

Aren't we all seeking answers?

Edit to add:

The smell was rather strong and very pungent, whatever it came from had to have been fairly close by, but as I said previously I didn't see of hear anything and because of it I was really looking about trying to see what or where it was coming. I was deer hunting at the time, all cammo'ed up and using fox pee to cover my own scent, but this didn't smell like fox pee at all.

Edited by keninsc

Yes we all seek answers. I have a decent theory, but that's it, no corpse. The more I think about it though, it may be best to just post links that state fact and let the reader decide. I'm about burned out on circular arguments. I'll use your comment as an example.

Thing is it was just a funky smell, for all I know it was a group of smelly Frenchmen taking a hike nearby, however I've smelled all sorts of creatures in my years of hiking, hunting and camping. However this was like nothing I'd ever smelled before and as I said, it was just a smell.

The silverback releases chemicals called pheromones from glands in his armpits, which have a strong odour. This is known as the ‘fear smell’ as it can warn other gorilla of impending danger and is a signal of excitement and aggression.

Source

I don't have any issues discussing our own beliefs, theories, drunken observations. I have mine, you have yours, someone else has theirs. I try not to beat up anyone for having a theory or a different belief, but at the same time I can't bring myself to endorse something I find to be so far out in left field that I have to be high in order for it to make sense.

I will say that if I ever smell the smell again I will drop whatever I'm doing and pursue it to the best of my ability.

I don't have any issues discussing our own beliefs, theories, drunken observations. I have mine, you have yours, someone else has theirs. I try not to beat up anyone for having a theory or a different belief, but at the same time I can't bring myself to endorse something I find to be so far out in left field that I have to be high in order for it to make sense.

I will say that if I ever smell the smell again I will drop whatever I'm doing and pursue it to the best of my ability.

I was actually kind of hoping a search engine savvy member would find an alternative explanation for what you experienced. I'll check back.

I was actually kind of hoping a search engine savvy member would find an alternative explanation for what you experienced. I'll check back.

There are explanations, but without the witness seeing said explanations at the time, there is no " proof ".

There could be any number of explanations to account for the seriously funky smell I smelled, none of them necessarily having anything to do with a Bigfoot. In fact, at the time I really didn't think of anything like that, my only conscious thought at the time was, "What the **** is that stinking like Lucifer's a-hole?". It was so strong I couldn't smell the scent of the fox urine I was using as a cover scent. Now yes, I did recall reading later that Bigfoots are supposed to have a foul odor and it was shortly after that that my first friend shared his story with me and that got me to wondering if maybe it had been, but it's only conjecture on my part and not proof of anything. Other than I smelled a funky smell in the woods one day twenty years ago in Floyd County, Ga.

Now I did look around carefully, I was deer hunting and had to be careful about my movements, but saw nothing and heard nothing. It was early December and most anything not on a well worn trail was going to make noise from the leaves crunching underfoot. Like I said, it wasn't until after my first friend shared his encounter that I wondered if maybe it had been one.

I am very familiar with animal smells even under different weather conditions, for instance a wet dog has a very different smell than a dry one. Just to cite one instance. This didn't smell like anything I've ever smelled before or since and my best description of it is a combination of extreme body odor, old wet gym socks, musk from a rutting buck and a little bit of skunk spray maybe. Honestly, I thought it was going to singe the hairs in my nose.

Edited by keninsc

Oh, and to add on the subject of Bear Grylls, I think he's pretty cool. He's done more stuff than most of us will ever dream of doing. Yes, he did spend nights in hotels and eat fast food on the road while he was shooting his show. However, had any of you bothered to read his disclaimer, it says some scenes are staged to depict real events. He doesn't need to break his leg, set the bone, make a splint out of a piece of old barbed wire and a couple of sticks in order to get the point across. He also drank water squeezed from elephant poops once......nice fresh elephant poop. Weren't no stand ins or trick photography on that and he didn't order it from room service.

Bear is alright in my book.

I'd say that Bear and Les are shooting for totally different outcomes. Bear's show is geared more for the entertainment aspect, while Les's show is educational first while being interesting second.

Bear does amazing feats of strength, agility, brazenness, and stomach churning consumption. These all make for good TV. While Les's show teaches you how to stay alive and uninjured long enough to survive and either make it out or get found. Les has to be smart in his show, showing viewers how to stay safe above all else - why? Because thats what he has to do - its just him and the cameras he lugs around. He isn't going to jump across a ravine, or go climbing some rock face because he knows he doesn't have the luxury of a camera crew and medical team waiting in the wings in case the next rock-with-his-c ock-out move gets him injured seriously.

If you are going to learn true to form real life survival skills - watch Les. If you want to watch a survival-themed entertainment-fest, watch Bear. Different shows for different purposes.

• Like 2

I'd say that Bear and Les are shooting for totally different outcomes. Bear's show is geared more for the entertainment aspect, while Les's show is educational first while being interesting second.

Bear does amazing feats of strength, agility, brazenness, and stomach churning consumption. These all make for good TV. While Les's show teaches you how to stay alive and uninjured long enough to survive and either make it out or get found. Les has to be smart in his show, showing viewers how to stay safe above all else - why? Because thats what he has to do - its just him and the cameras he lugs around. He isn't going to jump across a ravine, or go climbing some rock face because he knows he doesn't have the luxury of a camera crew and medical team waiting in the wings in case the next rock-with-his-c ock-out move gets him injured seriously.

If you are going to learn true to form real life survival skills - watch Les. If you want to watch a survival-themed entertainment-fest, watch Bear. Different shows for different purposes.

Les makes a couple of digs at Bear in this latest season saying things like "this isn't you versus mother nature, it's you surviving mother nature".