Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Titanosaur has neck bones full of Air

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:07 PM

Newly Discovered Dinosaur Had Giant Neck, Air-Filled Bones
James Owen
for National Geographic News

March 21, 2006
Scientists say they have found the fossil of a new species of ungainly dinosaur that had special air sacs in some of its bones to help support its massively long neck.

Living more than 100 million years ago in what is now Mongolia (map), the dinosaur belonged to a group of gentle, plant-munching giants called sauropods, the biggest animals ever to have walked the Earth.

Experts say what's most impressive about the dinosaur isn't its huge bulk but its 24-foot-long (7.5-meter-long) neck.

Paleontologists Daniel T. Ksepka and Mark A. Norell of the American Museum of Natural History in New York discovered the fossil in Mongolia's Gobi desert in 2002.

The partial fossil skeleton includes a single neck vertebra that measures nearly 2 feet (0.6 meters) in length.

This is bigger than the same vertebra found in fossils of Diplodocus—another, much larger four-legged sauropod that measured up to 90 feet (27 meters) in length.

The researchers conclude that the smaller dinosaur was oddly proportioned even for a sauropod.

Their analysis of the find is detailed in last week's issue of the museum's journal, Novitates.

God of Might

The newly described species is named Erketu ellisoni. Erketu, the god of might, was one of 99 deities from pre-Buddhist Mongolian tradition.

Erketu ellisoni's neck bones suggest that an interesting evolutionary strategy allowed the animal to support its long neck, the researchers say.

Computed tomography (CT) scans show that the dinosaur's vertebrae are filled with spaces that probably held small air sacs.

"This was definitely helping to reduce the overall weight of the animal, particularly the neck," he said.

"You don't want a lot of weight up front—that would off-balance the animal."

"This honeycomb structure is an advanced feature which you see pretty high up in the sauropod evolutionary tree," Ksepka added.

The researchers also report that the tops of these neck bones were split into two parallel tracks, likely allowing room for a ligament that helped the dinosaur lift its neck.

Titanosaurs

"Research that's been done lately indicates that other, similar sauropods probably held their necks parallel to the ground," Ksepka said.

"We think this animal had a similar posture," he added.

"It may have had this long neck to easily graze over a large area rather than to reach to the very tip of a tree. Their teeth were well suited for stripping vegetation."

The dinosaur's fossil remains—a chest plate, two lower leg bones, and an ankle bone—link it to an advanced group of sauropods called titanosaurs.

Titanosaurs are thought to have been a highly successful dinosaur group, because their fossils have been found throughout the world.

Despite this, the rich fossil beds of Mongolia have yielded very few sauropod remains.

"They're rare in general in the Gobi desert, so this fossil is helping us see what kind of sauropods were around in an area which has yielded all these other different kinds of dinosaurs," Ksepka said.

Link

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#2    JeremyGTS

JeremyGTS

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

is there any pics of what it may have looked like? .... i guess i could look for myself  tongue.gif

You ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

#3    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

Clcik on the link for a drawing...It is just a titanosaur.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#4    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

very odd looking dinosaur huh.gif  its almost looks like i just wouldn't work

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#5    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:34 PM

How is it odd? It is a titanosaur!

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#6    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

How is it odd? It is a titanosaur!

well its neck is stretch out to far in front and its tale is not that big so it looks like it would just fall forward on its face. hmm.gif  but like your post said it evolved ways to prevent that thumbsup.gif

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#7    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

well its neck is stretch out to far in front and its tale is not that big so it looks like it would just fall forward on its face.  but like your post said it evolved ways to prevent that

yes.gif

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#8    Jack_of_Blades

Jack_of_Blades

Psychic Spy

• 1,896 posts

• "There's no earthly way of knowing. Which direction they are going! There's no knowing where they're rowing, Or which way they river's flowing!."

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:50 AM

This makes sense i mean isnt that what girafes,
use plus isnt a titanosaurs the theropod on the
left of your signature, frogfish?

"Stone people should not live in glass houses"
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
"Don't forget that your beliefs are meaningless unless your the one screaming loudest."
"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they are all useful but selfserving."

#9    Jack_of_Blades

Jack_of_Blades

Psychic Spy

• 1,896 posts

• "There's no earthly way of knowing. Which direction they are going! There's no knowing where they're rowing, Or which way they river's flowing!."

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:53 AM

I mean sauropod on the right. forgot my
directions and dinosaurs

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
"Don't forget that your beliefs are meaningless unless your the one screaming loudest."
"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and they are all useful but selfserving."

#10    Pilgrim_Shadow

Pilgrim_Shadow

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

• The color of infinity
    Inside
    An empty glass

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:14 AM

I mean sauropod on the right. forgot my
directions and dinosaurs

From the prominant spines along the neck and back and the reletively small size I would guess it to be Amargasaurus.

-Pilgrim

"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be,
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
Of the moon,
Down the valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride!"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

#11    Jack_of_Blades

Jack_of_Blades

Psychic Spy

• 1,896 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:29 AM

...well i have a least i have my directions right

#12    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

Amargasaurus.

Correct...

Amaragasaurus is not a "titanosaur"...Parlititan, Sauroposeidon, Seismosaurus, Argentinosaurus...

I don't think girraffes have hollow neck bones...

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#13    Master Sage

Master Sage

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

• DRAGONZ!!!!

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

They don't. Darn, it works but it shouldent.  no.gif  yes.gif

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

giraffes dont have hollow neck bones and heres an intresting fact they have the same number of neck bones as u do 7!! can u imagin only 7 bones in that long neck of theres

giraffes dont have hollow neck bones and heres an intresting fact they have the same number of neck bones as u do 7!! can u imagin only 7 bones in that long neck of theres

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users