Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I.D. scores victory over evolution

__Kratos__

TOPEKA, Kansas (AP) -- At the risk of re-igniting the same heated nationwide debate it sparked six years ago, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public school science standards Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.

The 6-4 vote was a victory for "intelligent design" advocates who helped draft the standards. Intelligent design holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Critics of the language charged that it was an attempt to inject God and creationism into public schools in violation of the separation of church and state.

All six of those who voted for the standards were Republicans. Two Republicans and two Democrats voted against them.

"This is a sad day. We're becoming a laughingstock of not only the nation, but of the world, and I hate that," said board member Janet Waugh, a Kansas City Democrat.

Supporters of the standards said they will promote academic freedom. "It gets rid of a lot of dogma that's being taught in the classroom today," said board member John Bacon, an Olathe Republican.

The standards state that high school students must understand major evolutionary concepts. But they also declare that some concepts have been challenged in recent years by fossil evidence and molecular biology.

The challenged concepts cited include the basic Darwinian theory that all life had a common origin and the theory that natural chemical processes created the building blocks of life.

In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.

The standards will be used to develop student tests measuring how well schools teach science. Decisions about what is taught in classrooms will remain with 300 local school boards, but some educators fear pressure will increase in some communities to teach less about evolution or more about intelligent design. (Read how Kansas came to this point)

The vote marked the third time in six years that the Kansas board has rewritten standards with evolution as the central issue.

In 1999, the board eliminated most references to evolution, a move Harvard paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould said was akin to teaching "American history without Lincoln."

Two years later, after voters replaced three members, the board reverted to evolution-friendly standards. Elections in 2002 and 2004 changed the board's composition again, making it more conservative.

Many scientists and other critics contend creationists repackaged old ideas in scientific-sounding language to get around a U.S. Supreme Court decision in 1987 that banned teaching the biblical story of creation in public schools.

The Kansas board's action is part of a national debate. In Pennsylvania, a judge is expected to rule soon in a lawsuit against the Dover school board's policy of requiring high school students to learn about intelligent design in biology class. (Read about the Dover debate)

In August, President Bush endorsed teaching intelligent design alongside evolution.

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is just bull. :no:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• SilverCougar

• Celumnaz

• Hehe

well....Christianity did play a big part in the founding of this country....

I have to say I'm neutral

:o This is the lowest point in human intelligence in the 21st century.

I guess we must quarantine Kansas. I wonder if their going to teach that the world is 10,000 years old. I bet their going to say its the christian god who is the intelligent designer and other crap like that.

Edited by Super Pancake

*groans* And they even reworded science so that creationalism can fall within the deffinition.

So much for complete seperation of church and state... and I know they won't teach all types of creation stories.. >.<

*sighs* Personally I don't think religions should have any say in government. This is bullcrap and I'd like to beat the intelligent design theory with a big stainless steal titanium coated stick!

"This is a sad day. We're becoming a laughingstock of not only the nation, but of the world, and I hate that," said board member Janet Waugh, a Kansas City Democrat.

They're certainly not wrong there :P

They're certainly not wrong there :P

*hangs head in shame* :P

This is just horrible. Sounds to me someone needs a good slap in the back of the head to wake them back up to reality. <_<

This is just a really big step backwards...seriously...and I can only hope it doesn't catch on. I'm glad that the vatican denounced this as complete tripe...it's the one time I've actually had respect for the catholic church.

It's a sad example of religion clinging on for dear life, trying to hold back the overwhelming avalanche of evidence for evolution and the like by simply pretending it doesn't exist :P Why be right, when you can be rigid? :P

Deffinatly time to move out of this country...

Don't they already teach these theorys in Sunday School?

Yes, they do :P Which is why I propose that a similar law be passed, where scientists are allowed to go into sunday schools and churches, interupt the lessons, and teach people about evolution :P Only then will things be fair.

I say, we start accusing people of being witches and burn them at the stake, or throw them off cliffs, and they die, well then Gods done his work

Anywho i think that if a story should be tought during Science, i think that Fact should be tought in Story School (Church)

~Thanato

I say, we start accusing people of being witches and burn them at the stake, or throw them off cliffs, and they die, well then Gods done his work

Anywho i think that if a story should be tought during Science, i think that Fact should be tought in Story School (Church)

~Thanato

cruel yet effective :ph34r:

well....Christianity did play a big part in the founding of this country....

The Bible is not law in America. It is a secular country that lives in freedom under the rule of law.

Sunday school is held in church, where they can teach creationism. A person who goes to public schools can not be taught religion, because the schools are kept secular.

Edited by coldwhitelight

Great! :) I wonder if I can use this as a precedent to get the Kansas school board to accept my own controversial theory that Newton's Laws of Gravity are unconstitutional and that the REAL reason free-floating bodies move towards one another is because they're lonely and they want to hang out. :D:lol::rofl::lol:

Edited by Elfstone810

It is very important not to confuse creationism with intelligent design.

Its the same thing, only renamed and repackaged to get past the issue of church in eductation.

"This is a sad day. We're becoming a laughingstock of... the world

Yeah, the number of people outside the US who I ask about this and the common response is 'God, America is backwards', which is rather unfair given there are so many of you against it, but thats the image America has right now.

Edited by Talon

Intelligent design is not creationism, it's science

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck... it's a duck.

The creationalists started with wanting to teach the biblical creation story in public school. The courts said "Mmmmno..." So they then slapped the buzz word "Intelligent Design" to make it sound scientific.

And the gullible courts fell for it.

I'm sorry b ut ID is creationalism... that's the basis of creationalism.. that the univers and everything was made by an intelligent something. They just dropped "God" to make it fit in the scientific terms. Which still FAILS because it's still a faith.

Great! :) I wonder if I can use this as a precedent to get the Kansas school board to accept my own controversial theory that Newton's Laws of Gravity are unconstitutional and that the REAL reason free-floating bodies move towards one another is because they're lonely and they want to hang out. :D:lol::rofl::lol:

Hehe, acording to coldwhitelight, your theory has the same support than I.D. .

We must accept it, I.D. its just religion trying to get an explanation to the science i can conprenhed.

Yes, they do :P Which is why I propose that a similar law be passed, where scientists are allowed to go into sunday schools and churches, interupt the lessons, and teach people about evolution :P Only then will things be fair.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that nothing anywhere will ever be fair *cries, wait just kidding, I will deal with it*.

cwl, guess what, I know where Sunday school happens to be held and what they teach there. :rolleyes:

It is very important not to confuse creationism with intelligent design. Creationism is based on religion, such as Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. Intelligent design is based on science.

Intelligent design is not creationism, it's science

O.K. then like SC pointed out they changed the guidelines of the scientific methods to make ID fall within science. Why did they have to do that, what wrong with the current guidelines of the scientific method, is ii because ID is easily scrutinized by the scientific method?

How is it science when the rules need to be bend to make it science?

Edited by Super Pancake

If the board had to change the very meaning of the word science in order to get I.D. into the school in the first place, it shows that it is in fact not science. If I.D should be taught in schools it should be under Philosophy not Science.

The creationists' fondness for "gaps" in the fossil record is a metaphor for their love of gaps in knowledge generally. Gaps, by default, are filled by God. You don't know how the nerve impulse works? Good! You don't understand how memories are laid down in the brain? Excellent! Is photosynthesis a bafflingly complex process? Wonderful! Please don't go to work on the problem, just give up, and appeal to God. Dear scientist, don't work on your mysteries. Bring us your mysteries for we can use them. Don't squander precious ignorance by researching it away. Ignorance is God's gift to Kansas.

--Richard Dawkins, FRS. Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science, at Oxford University. Taken from his essay Creationism: God's gift to the ignorant

I wonder when they will try to usurp the "theory" of Gravity with Intelligent Falling.

:no:

The creationists' fondness for "gaps" in the fossil record is a metaphor for their love of gaps in knowledge generally. Gaps, by default, are filled by God. You don't know how the nerve impulse works? Good! You don't understand how memories are laid down in the brain? Excellent! Is photosynthesis a bafflingly complex process? Wonderful! Please don't go to work on the problem, just give up, and appeal to God. Dear scientist, don't work on your mysteries. Bring us your mysteries for we can use them. Don't squander precious ignorance by researching it away. Ignorance is God's gift to Kansas.

--Richard Dawkins, FRS. Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science, at Oxford University. Taken from his essay Creationism: God's gift to the ignorant

I wonder when they will try to usurp the "theory" of Gravity with Intelligent Falling.

:no:

LOL... and they claim Creationists are ignorant! wow, I keep saying this lately, with enemies like this, who needs friends!?