Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

How many of you do and don't believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#136    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 January 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

What you sew is what you reap.

I'm still waiting for them to reap the sorrow the sew.

Drunk with blood..
http://www.anandainfo.com/cult_leaders.html
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#137    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostHavocWing, on 23 January 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I'm still waiting for them to reap the sorrow the sew.
Yes and sometimes it seems we wait forever.  Maybe in the end there is no justice.  Still, I think the evidence says things generally and at least approximately do balance out.  People who do good turns to others get good turns done back to them.  Now this is not a reason to do good turns, just an observation.  People who commit crimes sooner or later end up arrested and imprisoned.

I know a once wealthy man who lived nearby and who made his fortune exploiting Vietnam's native trees illegally and to great harm to the environment.  I need not go into too much detail spelling out how he eventually was destroyed.

Sometimes our rewards are nothing more than self-worth and pride, sometimes our punishments are nothing more than guilt or shame or fear.  They all serve to balance the scale.

#138    ohioguy74

ohioguy74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

I believe in god.

#139    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 23 January 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

People who commit crimes sooner or later end up arrested and imprisoned.

Not always unfortunately... Not always...

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#140    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,176 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 23 January 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

With thousands of religions that we know of, I am impressed by your claim that you have studied all of them. Hard to believe though.
But I see now what you mean by the origin of religions that you talked about before is simply the innate willingness of people to accept irrational belief systems. Sure, that is part of of human psychology. I don´t think anybody argued against that.

But your claim that somehow all religions are related or even compatible is and remains pure wishful thinking. The belief systems that different people accept (or have to accept, in case of theocracies) are vastly different.
Oh yes. But tha tis not what I was talking about, at least. I was talking about the nature, form, and function of religious codification of spiritual beliefs. Like i said in an earlier post. Each book has a different content, yet all books are the same, basically,  in nature /form and function/purpose.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#141    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 14,176 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 23 January 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

Who created god. the only answer that is plasauble is man as man exsisted before a god was created.
If you speak of god as a physical being then god  certainly existed before man, because god is a more evolved and older being than man. Only as man evolved self awarenes could he recognise and categorise gods.  This is the same for all physical forms in man's environment. Eg, trees/birds existed before man but man only recognised catalogued named and gave parameters to trees/birds as we evolved the abilty to do so.

If you speak of gods constructed by humans, then humans lived first, and created those gods out of their sapient self aware thought processes. BUT there will be earlier evolved sapient beings on other planets around the galaxy who conceived the concepes of god befoe humans were evolved into their present form also And thus, even the concept of god predates humanity.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#142    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 25 January 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

Not always unfortunately... Not always...
Yes, we know this; the point is not that consequences always follow, but that they generally do.  Criminals get away with it a few times, and as a result their minds are altered into thinking they will always get away with it, but sooner or later their luck ends.

Even when they are never caught, nature still punishes them, in various ways depending on the person.  It may be fear every time they hear a siren, or guilt or shame or abandonment by friends, or just living in a brutal society that is never a source of happiness.

#143    Tor_Hershman

Tor_Hershman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• There is no God in foxholes

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

I know that there is(are) no meaningful god(s) or devil(s) as I state in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m6qC6FCiY0

#144    modas

modas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• Sorry for my poor English :-)

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I believe in is science, but the question for me is what created science? Because there has to be something what created science. as the drawing if there is sheath of paper but no artist its never going to be the work of art. but it's only my opinion.
hope this makes any sense. ^_^

#145    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,092 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

View Postmodas, on 28 January 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

I believe in is science, but the question for me is what created science? Because there has to be something what created science. as the drawing if there is sheath of paper but no artist its never going to be the work of art. but it's only my opinion.
hope this makes any sense. ^_^
Humans created science.

#146    modas

modas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Humans created science.
not the universe.

#147    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,092 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postmodas, on 28 January 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

not the universe.
You didn't say the universe, you said science.

#148    modas

modas

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 28 January 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

You didn't say the universe, you said science.
science includes everything from elements of the periodic table to nature from physics to universe and it allways was there but humans discovered it and made use out of it.
souch as use of metal, combining metal and stuff like that so i hope you get my point. :tu:

Edited by modas, 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#149    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,092 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

View Postmodas, on 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

science includes everything from elements of the periodic table to nature from physics to universe and it allways was there but humans discovered it and made use out of it.
souch as use of metal, combining metal and stuff like that so i hope you get my point. :tu:
Science is the knowledge and understanding derived from such phenomena, science comes from the latin word "scientia" which means knowledge.

#150    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 10,406 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Defining "science" is an interesting exercise in futility.  While a word generally translated "knowledge" is its origin, it does not mean "knowledge."

The best definition I have seen is, "The thing that scientists do."  That captures the essence that science is not a thing but a process.  Of course, one ends up going round the circle when one is forced to define "scientist" as, "an expert at doing science."

I think of science as common sense -- organized, institutionalized and taught in universities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users