Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did an earthquake create the Turin Shroud ?

UM-Bot

Scientists in Italy believe that the image of Christ on the shroud may have been caused by an earthquake.

For years the Turin Shroud, a length of linen cloth thought to bear the image of Christ after his crucifixion, has been at the center of controversy and debate. Some maintain that the shroud is likely to be the genuine article while others are more skeptical, believing it instead to be a medieval forgery.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262289/did-an-earthquake-create-the-turin-shroud

Um, no. It's grasping at straws. I agree a second analysis should be performed to try and confirm the original results however.

• Like 1

One question I have to Ask is, Has anyone ever Found another Cloth similar to the Shroud of Turin? If it is a Natural Process ,then Clothes with Images should have Found by now.

If it was caused by an Earthquake, then there is a Chance that other Bodies that where Buried in the area would also produce an Image on there Burial Cloth

"Now a research team from Italy has weighed in on the debate by claiming that a powerful earthquake that took place in 33 AD triggered a release of neutron particles, effectively imprinting the image of Jesus' body on the cloth like an X-ray."

this seems far less likely than that is it the shroud jesus was wrapped in.

LOL!

The lucrative Pilgrim's coin is what made the shroud.

I read many tales of magic tricks, to fake Relics to lure in the Pilgrim wanting to believe.

Today the fakers have Satelites, and Cable channels to do the same thing pretty much.

Well, considering no one can replicate the shroud, this theory is as likely as any other proposed theory.

• Like 2

The shroud has to be filled with mystery and wonder. There will never be definitive proof; there can't be as this must remain an exercise of faith.

Scientists in Italy believe that the image of Christ on the shroud may have been caused by an earthquake.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...he-turin-shroud

I'd want to know what research backs that up. Did they actually try to replicate the result using neutron irradiation? Use a modern piece of cloth, irradiate it, then see if there's an image and see what date the C14 test shows. It shouldn't be hard to come up with some tests that replicate the hypothetical process.

Doug

• Like 2

1 Corinthians 11:14-16

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a dishonor to

him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a

covering.

16 But if any man seemeth to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of

God.

http://www.biblegate...-16&version=ASV

Ancient Judeans did not have long Hair.

Comets have long Hair.

http://www.etymonlin....php?term=comet

shroud-of-turin-face.jpg

Edited by davros of skaro

I've seen many shows on the shroud and one of the most interesting things was that the image appears to be holographic in nature, that is, it is a three dimensional image, not a 2D image one gets when painting or staining. If I remember correctly they had to use computer technology to bring out the 3D quality of the image. If this is correct, then how and why would someone make, or even know how to make this type of image centuries ago. As to carbon dating of the shroud, the object itself has been through a fire, which I would guess would alter the carbon content from the smoke and it has had some cloth added to patch holes and as a boarder, and I believe the sample was taken from the boarder which was added at a later time. A better analysis would require taking material from near the image, not on added material. One investigator on the show said he believed the image was burned into the cloth by light, light of a similar quality to a LASER. In any case it's an interesting piece of history.

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a dishonor to

him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a

covering.

16 But if any man seemeth to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of

God.

ancient

Comets have long Hair.

http://www.etymonlin....php?term=comet

shroud-of-turin-face.jpg

I beg to differ, sometimes Jews took what is refer to as a Nazirite vow for purification purposes, at which time no razor was to touch their head. It could be for various periods of time and at the end of which the man making the vow would shave his head. It is possible, though not stated in Scripture that Jesus took this vow at the beginning of his ministry. The Apostle Paul took this vow for a time and of course the most famous person in Scripture to take this vow was Samson, who was a Nazirite from birth.

The difficulty with this is those under the vow were also not to drink wine or touch the dead and Jesus did both.

• Like 3

"Ancient Judeans did not have long Hair.

I would like to understand your definition of "long hair" and Paul's (the author if 1st Corinthians) definition of "long hair" and compare the two. I would suspect those opinions would differ.

• Like 2

UPDATE: In October 2009 it was announced that scientists in Italy had made a cloth bearing an image very similar to the shroud. Luigi Garlaschelli, a professor of organic chemistry at the University of Pavia, stated that, 'We have shown that it is possible to reproduce something which has the same characteristics as the Shroud'. One media article noted that, 'Garlaschelli reproduced the full-sized shroud using materials and techniques that were available in the middle ages. They placed a linen sheet flat over a volunteer and then rubbed it with a pigment containing traces of acid. A mask was used for the face. The pigment was then artificially aged by heating the cloth in an oven and washing it, a process which removed it from the surface but left a fuzzy, half-tone image similar to that on the Shroud. He believes the pigment on the original Shroud faded naturally over the centuries. They then added blood stains, burn holes, scorches and water stains to achieve the final effect.

http://www.sillybeliefs.com/shroud.html

Early Jews did not have long Hair, and an Italian Chemist reproduced the effect using what was available in the 12th century.

I beg to differ, sometimes Jews took what is refer to as a Nazirite vow for purification purposes, at which time no razor was to touch their head. It could be for various periods of time and at the end of which the man making the vow would shave his head. It is possible, though not stated in Scripture that Jesus took this vow at the beginning of his ministry. The Apostle Paul took this vow for a time and of course the most famous person in Scripture to take this vow was Samson, who was a Nazirite from birth.

The difficulty with this is those under the vow were also not to drink wine or touch the dead and Jesus did both.

Jesus as per scripture was a Nazerene, and not a Nazirite like Samson.

You never answered my question on wether you think "The Flinstones" are a loosely based historical documentation.

"Ancient Judeans did not have long Hair.

I would like to understand your definition of "long hair" and Paul's (the author if 1st Corinthians) definition of "long hair" and compare the two. I would suspect those opinions would differ.

The image in the Shroud looks like it has long hair to me, but tradition is what matters.

http://rcg.org/articles/djhlh.html

I've seen many shows on the shroud and one of the most interesting things was that the image appears to be holographic in nature, that is, it is a three dimensional image, not a 2D image one gets when painting or staining. If I remember correctly they had to use computer technology to bring out the 3D quality of the image. If this is correct, then how and why would someone make, or even know how to make this type of image centuries ago. As to carbon dating of the shroud, the object itself has been through a fire, which I would guess would alter the carbon content from the smoke and it has had some cloth added to patch holes and as a boarder, and I believe the sample was taken from the boarder which was added at a later time. A better analysis would require taking material from near the image, not on added material. One investigator on the show said he believed the image was burned into the cloth by light, light of a similar quality to a LASER. In any case it's an interesting piece of history.

Easy. Get some poor unfortunate, treat him abominably, lay a shroud over the body to take a mark on the cloth, sell the cloth to whoever offers the best price. There's no real mystery here - they used a real body. One that was still alive, judging from the clotted blood.

Doug

• Like 1

It is interesting that Pope Francis referred to the shroud as an “icon of a man scourged and crucified.” Further “This disfigured face resembles all those faces of men and women marred by a life which does not respect their dignity, by war and violence which afflict the weakest.” Brilliant! So what remains? Perhaps, those who make their reputation by proving or disproving the authenticity of the shroud. Those who are perhaps weak of faith and need proof positive. And, those who need assurance that their beliefs are indeed correct and thus need proof negative. We all garner support and disparate evidence to validate our beliefs. We are no different.

Say what?

Fred & Barney were involved with the Shroud investigation ! It was later found out that the image was nothing more than Mega Rib B.B.Q sauce that played tricks with the results ! :tu:

Easy. Get some poor unfortunate, treat him abominably, lay a shroud over the body to take a mark on the cloth, sell the cloth to whoever offers the best price. There's no real mystery here - they used a real body. One that was still alive, judging from the clotted blood.

Doug

I agree. If you assume the Shroud is a fake, this is how it was made. There are documentrys on how it could have been done this way.

Um, no. It's grasping at straws. I agree a second analysis should be performed to try and confirm the original results however.

I agree that this seems far fetched to me also. I also agree that another C14 test should be done.

From one documentary that showed how the piece used for the C14 sample that got 1300 AD was from a repaired section. They even got the pieces left over from 1978 and took a small piece apart to show that the fibers were of different ages. It seemed very logical and would seem to indicate that the C14 date was contaminated by more modern material.

I'd want to know what research backs that up. Did they actually try to replicate the result using neutron irradiation? Use a modern piece of cloth, irradiate it, then see if there's an image and see what date the C14 test shows. It shouldn't be hard to come up with some tests that replicate the hypothetical process.

Doug

I'd like to see that testing done also. I think it won't happen because I believe the tests, regardless of how many were done, would fail.

him?

covering.

God.

You know that the Corinthians were actually Greeks, right? And that the book 1st Corinthians was probably written like 30 years after Jesus died, right. You can't take a religous document written for Greeks and apply it backward to prove 1st century BC Judeans did not have long hair. The Christians were considered a Cult by the Romans and the Jews at this point, so it seems to me unless you can find something in Deuderanomy, or one of the other books about short hair, that Jesus could easily have had long hair.