Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

the perfect prison

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: the perfect prison (20 member(s) have cast votes)

what should prisons be like IN UK?

1. they should be harsh without being cruel (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. they are just misunderstood. So they should make prisons more luxurious for criminals (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. not bothered either way (0 votes [0.00%])

4. they are just right. (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

5. they should let them fend for themselves. (1 votes [5.00%])

6. they should treat different criminals differently. the s.erious offenders should be treated harsher than the non violent offenders (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

7. Prisons shouldn't exist. (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

8. they should be cruel (0 votes [0.00%])

9. they should help rehabilitate everyone however evil (1 votes [5.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

What do you believe the perfect prison? I think they should be harsh with criminals without being cruel. I also think they should get rid of playstations, TVs, and any other luxuries. They should in my opinion, have simple food, but not starve the prisoners. They should be made to work in the prison, doing manual work, cleaning and making food. A bit like the Gordon Ramsey show he did about prisoners. The jail terms should be longer for serious offenders such as armed robbers, killers, rapists etc. They should make prisons harsh and unpleasant without being cruel and barbaric. They should drum into the prisoner's heads what they've done is wrong. They should try and rehabilitate those who are worthy of it. And not waste time on those who couldn't care less.

What are other's views?
How should prisons be?

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,341 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

I agree with a lot of what you wrote and I also feel they should monitor prisoners much more closely and segregate those who look to be teaching their bad habits, skills, hatreds etc to others...

Gangs should not be allowed to exist in prison - all too often they spill back out into the streets with the connections made in prison...

I do believe that many prisoners could be rehabilitated and could reenter society in a good way and those need to be treated differently - but I also beleve that many will NEVER be rehabilitated, will never want to be rehabilitated, and with those it is a case of protecting society, not correcting the individual...

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostTaun, on 01 March 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

I agree with a lot of what you wrote and I also feel they should monitor prisoners much more closely and segregate those who look to be teaching their bad habits, skills, hatreds etc to others...

Gangs should not be allowed to exist in prison - all too often they spill back out into the streets with the connections made in prison...

I do believe that many prisoners could be rehabilitated and could reenter society in a good way and those need to be treated differently - but I also beleve that many will NEVER be rehabilitated, will never want to be rehabilitated, and with those it is a case of protecting society, not correcting the individual...
How would you take gangs out of the situation? I mean prison is like any other invironment  where people look to who they would better get along with.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

As a long-serving member of our pub's Flog 'em & Hang 'em Committee, I believe that prison menus should read....'Bread, Water....Cheese on Sundays (if deserved)', and 'rehabilitation' should consist of making big rocks into little rocks!

A prison should be a place that, once released after serving a complete sentence, a criminal would never want to return to!

If you can't do the time - don't do the crime!

Edited by ealdwita, 01 March 2013 - 04:01 PM.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,219 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Breaking rocks or sewing mail bags and the rest of the time spent alone, watching reruns of The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

#6    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

View Postali smack, on 01 March 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

What do you believe the perfect prison? I think they should be harsh with criminals without being cruel. I also think they should get rid of playstations, TVs, and any other luxuries. They should in my opinion, have simple food, but not starve the prisoners. They should be made to work in the prison, doing manual work, cleaning and making food. A bit like the Gordon Ramsey show he did about prisoners. The jail terms should be longer for serious offenders such as armed robbers, killers, rapists etc. They should make prisons harsh and unpleasant without being cruel and barbaric. They should drum into the prisoner's heads what they've done is wrong. They should try and rehabilitate those who are worthy of it. And not waste time on those who couldn't care less.

What are other's views?
How should prisons be?

I voted for prisons shoulnt exist.

Execute them all!

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,951 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postali smack, on 01 March 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

What are other's views?
How should prisons be?
Like this one (first one)

Edited by Rlyeh, 01 March 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,297 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

While I think prisoners shouldn't have it easy I don't think the government should get free slave labor.  Kind of gives you a motive to put more people in prison, especially the non violent and the private prisons will make out like a bandit.

#9    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,766 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostEldorado, on 01 March 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Breaking rocks or sewing mail bags and the rest of the time spent alone, watching reruns of The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

And for really heinous crimes, (instead of the death penalty), endless repeats of 'Loose Women'!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,219 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

View Postealdwita, on 01 March 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

And for really heinous crimes, (instead of the death penalty), endless repeats of 'Loose Women'!

No need for cruelty, Eald.

#11    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,386 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

There are worse places than Prisons.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#12    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 01 March 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

I voted for prisons shoulnt exist.

Execute them all!
Yes. But isn't that a tad extreme? What about non violent offenders like vandals, shop lifters, joy riders, people who haven't payed there tv licence etc.
Surely they shouldn't be executed.
As much as i'm no fan of criminals. I don't want them all executed. Especially if there not a danger to the public

#13    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Gangs? Don't let them interact. Too harsh?

I don't think prisoners should be treated cruelly, but some of the things they currently get using the 'human rights' excuse is pathetic. Prison is supposed to be a punishment.

Posted Image

#14    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

I think prisons shouldn't exist at all and the figuring out if a crime was something that will be repeated or not. So instead of prisons really really good psych wards and death for the people who are habitually violent towards others, and mental help for people who are habitually violent towards themselves.

Edited by Jinxdom, 02 March 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#15    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

Iso Cubes :)

any fan of the judge dredd comic will know what I am talking about..

basically.. isolation for each person.. be it a month in jail or life.. total isolation :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users