Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Siberian mystery creature

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#46    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostMacroramphosis, on 23 September 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Sorry, been away for a few days.

I see people are doubting the lake exists.  Here's a screenshot from Google Earth showing the lake, its name and the co-ordinates where you can find it. I should have posted this the other night, my apologies. I used Google Earth's own measuring tool to see how far it was from the nearest surfaced road. I have struggled to find a decent populated town within 100 miles or so, so would love to hear from anyone who can. I still do not think it is a "reservoir".

Posted Image

And here are some pictures taken by (I assume) Russians, showing the lake and its environs. You can see the pictures on Google Earth itself when you zoom in with the correct settings checked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If Google Earth can no longer be trusted, much as Wikipedia is reputed to be, then further apologies in advance  -  I had no idea it was full of false information. But the Russian titles in the Panaramio photos do say "Lake Labyngkyr", so that's a good start, anyway.

My apologies if I've ruffled your feathers, Sakari. I should have made better use of smilies, I guess. By the way, I wasn't referring to the "monster" pictures in your pdf, more the shot of the lake that is similiar to the one above. As I said, quite how you didn't reconcile the difference between that picture and the one of the large pond you posted is beyond me - unless you did it deliberately to misled people ? :innocent:

And again, I am also not supporting the "monster" theory, just defending a poor old lake whose existence is being abused.

I must admit though, I don't see many t-shirts being sold in any of those photos........

Thanks for the info - I'd not thought of using google earth.

#47    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostSakari, on 23 September 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

The stories all say " Moscow State University ", and give description.....Her name can not be found there.

Check the building pictured at the top of the linked page: that's Moscow State University. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you'd find her name there if you had her name in Cyrillic and used a Cyrillic search engine; Russian names don't always transliterate well.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock, 23 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#48    Macroramphosis

Macroramphosis

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• "The clever men at Oxford
    Know all that there is to be knowed.
    But they none of them know one half as much
    As intelligent Mr. Toad!"

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostThegreatsilence, on 23 September 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Just an assumption from an amateur. I don't consider horse-headed lake monsters as fleshy creatures, they are seen in every corners of the globe and sometimes exactly at  the same place where they were spotted a century earlier, which is suspiscious to me.

Ah, although if you believe in spatial dimensions rotating through time and space then just as planets align occasionally, so do the glimpses through the veil, as it were.

Supposedly. :santa:

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

#49    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I must admit though, I don't see many t-shirts being sold in any of those photos........

What? :blink:  Who said that?

#50    Thegreatsilence

Thegreatsilence

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Well maybe there is somekind of gas at some precise area  around a lake which affect people's perception, making them to see a creature instead of another one.

Edited by Thegreatsilence, 23 September 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#51    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Attached File  imagesCANHAZZP.jpg   8.56K   12 downloads

#52    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostThegreatsilence, on 23 September 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Well maybe there is somekind of gas at some precise area  around a lake which affect people's perception, making them to see a creature instead of another one.

This is the most valid explanation thus far.  Good job Thegreatsilence. :tu:

#53    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,544 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to know when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

"Weird" is an understatement.

Perhaps, one may think, that geothermal activity beneath the lake prevents the water from freezing but if so, there would certainly be an abundance of plant life in that lake, yet there is not.

If there is a heavy mineral content in the water, would fish liv ein it?

again, "weird" is not strong enough a term.

"If you want to apologize to Jews for WWII, give them some of your land, not some of ours"

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

"It is easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them they've been fooled"   ~Mark Twain~

#54    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 23 September 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

"Weird" is an understatement.

Perhaps, one may think, that geothermal activity beneath the lake prevents the water from freezing but if so, there would certainly be an abundance of plant life in that lake, yet there is not.

If there is a heavy mineral content in the water, would fish liv ein it?

again, "weird" is not strong enough a term.

I believe that Macromorphosis found out above that it does freeze over, but just not as quickly as the other lakes in the region.  Geothermal would be my guess still - and where there is geothermal activity, there are also heightened levels of various minerals, depending on what region the lake is.

A lot of the hot springs and such in Yellowstone Nat. Park here in the US come to mind.  They don't freeze over and many are either too mineral laden to support life or too hot.

It'd be cool if there was some kind of lake monster - but there seems to be a general dearth of information in general about the place, up to and including a lack of evidence that there is any kind of monster, save for a few odd photographs, which are wierd but hardly conclusive.  Of course there are the ubiquitous eyewitness stories and legends, but I'd say that they are even less irrefutable than the photographs that have surfaced.

Like almost all Lake monsters, it seems that this one is heavy on the anecdotal evidence and very slim on anything that would confirm the monster's existence.  I vote highly unlikely on this one.

#55    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,966 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:07 AM

Sorry, been away for a few days.

I see people are doubting the lake exists.  Here's a screenshot from Google Earth showing the lake, its name and the co-ordinates where you can find it. I should have posted this the other night, my apologies. I used Google Earth's own measuring tool to see how far it was from the nearest surfaced road. I have struggled to find a decent populated town within 100 miles or so, so would love to hear from anyone who can. I still do not think it is a "reservoir".

Posted Image

And here are some pictures taken by (I assume) Russians, showing the lake and its environs. You can see the pictures on Google Earth itself when you zoom in with the correct settings checked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If Google Earth can no longer be trusted, much as Wikipedia is reputed to be, then further apologies in advance  -  I had no idea it was full of false information. But the Russian titles in the Panaramio photos do say "Lake Labyngkyr", so that's a good start, anyway.

My apologies if I've ruffled your feathers, Sakari. I should have made better use of smilies, I guess. By the way, I wasn't referring to the "monster" pictures in your pdf, more the shot of the lake that is similiar to the one above. As I said, quite how you didn't reconcile the difference between that picture and the one of the large pond you posted is beyond me - unless you did it deliberately to misled people ? :innocent:

And again, I am also not supporting the "monster" theory, just defending a poor old lake whose existence is being abused.

Thank you....You did not ruffle my feathers :)

I spent about 10, 15 minutes trying to find anything on this lake.As mentioned, not much to be found other then the creature stories. It is usually not hard to find lakes or rivers, but this one likes to be in hiding I guess.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#56    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

• "Everything is relative" - Elbert Einstein

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 20 September 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

I'd say that the whole "not freezing over" might be connected to some sort of geothermal activity.

Or maybe it's brackish water.

Posted Image

#57    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 20 September 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

The picture looks like a person standing chest high in the water.

That's what I thought too!

Posted Image

#58    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostMacroramphosis, on 22 September 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Rafterman, I am sure you can find precedents for all sorts of things. Stillwater might well have a reason for being, just THERE. The town of Gypsum with 3500 people is 27 miles way, as is US-70. Labyngkyr is 70 miles from a surfaced road and lies in the middle of a landscape reminiscent of the Canadian northern territories. I just think in this instance the word reservoir was misused by a translator.

Anyway, we're splitting hairs. I just wanted to point out that the lake reputed to hold a "monster", was exceedingly large enough to do so.

A reservoir can be man made or natural

Posted Image

#59    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Too far away to  tell what it is.

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#60    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

As much as I begin to smile (inside) whenever I read a 'mystery creature' has been sighted, that picture is simply too far away, it could be anything, which brings me to my next point...the zoom function...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users