Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Too Much TV May Lower Sperm Count

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Too Much TV May Lower Sperm Count

Guys may now have another reason to get off the couch: Watching TV has been linked to lower sperm counts, a new study suggests.
During the study, which involved 189 healthy 18- to 22-year-olds, men who watched the most TV (20 or more hours a week) had sperm counts that were 44 percent lower than men who did not watch television.
The findings held after the researchers took into account factors that could affect sperm count, such as smoking, body mass index (BMI) and calorie intake. Men who watch a lot of TV may have a more sedentary lifestyle, which in turn may affect sperm count, the researchers said. Indeed, the men in the study who exercised the most — doing 15 or more hours a week of moderate to vigorous physical activity — had sperm counts that were higher than those of guys who exercised less than 5 hours a week.
However, the new study only found an association, and cannot prove that a sedentary lifestyle lowers sperm count. The researchers also don't know if the lower sperm counts seen in the study would have an effect on the men's fertility.

Source: http://www.livescien...erm-counts.html

Edit: Seems less 'TV' doing it and more 'being a lazy fatty' doing it.

Edited by Hasina, 05 February 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#2    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

That is way I work out while watching TV. Love my exerice bike.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,122 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I guess it also depends on what you are watching... :whistle:

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,506 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

If they pass their time in front of the TV I tend to doubt that they should have children to start with. As we see, evolution has an answer for everything.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,672 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Too many humans anyway.

#6    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

:clap:  This is  funny thread

#7    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

]Too Much TV May Lower Sperm Count[/u]

Rubbish.  It hasn't affected me.  It's yet another omne of the those silly, scaremongering health stories.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 06 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#8    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 06 February 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Rubbish.  It hasn't affected me.  It's yet another omne of the those silly, scaremongering health stories.
You're right. It's not TV.

'Men who watch a lot of TV may have a more sedentary lifestyle, which in turn may affect sperm count, the researchers said.
Indeed, the men in the study who exercised the most doing 15 or more hours a week of moderate to vigorous physical activity had sperm counts that were higher than those of guys who exercised less than 5 hours a week.'

It's being lazy, Lazy.

This is just one of those eye catching article titles that's supposed to draw you in to read the details. What do people primarily do when being lazy? Watch TV. So it's a loose connection meant to grab attention but point us at the data.

Then there's this for the lazy guys out there:

'However, the new study only found an association, and cannot prove that a sedentary lifestyle lowers sperm count. The researchers also don't know if the lower sperm counts seen in the study would have an effect on the men's fertility.'

Edited by Hasina, 06 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostHasina, on 06 February 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

You're right. It's not TV.

'Men who watch a lot of TV may have a more sedentary lifestyle, which in turn may affect sperm count, the researchers said.
Indeed, the men in the study who exercised the most — doing 15 or more hours a week of moderate to vigorous physical activity — had sperm counts that were higher than those of guys who exercised less than 5 hours a week.'

It's being lazy, Lazy.

As I've said, it's a load of nonsense.  It's the typical health scare stories that appear all over the newspapers nowadays, and they usually end up contradicting themselves.

Next week there'll be a story somewhere in a newspaper which claims that watching television BOOSTS sperm count.

#10    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 06 February 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

As I've said, it's a load of nonsense.  It's the typical health scare stories that appear all over the newspapers nowadays, and they usually end up contradicting themselves.

Next week there'll be a story somewhere in a newspaper which claims that watching television BOOSTS sperm count.
Once again, TV has nothing to do with it, it's just an activity that we do while being lazy. Yeah, it's sensational news titling, but the data and association between the lifestyle and the count are shown.

I edited my post while you were replying so I may have touched on a few things that eluded you when you first quoted me.

Edited by Hasina, 06 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostHasina, on 06 February 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

but the data and association between the lifestyle and the count are shown.

And yet, as I've said, there'll probably be a contradicting newspaper story very soon which says that "being lazy" BOOSTS sperm count.

That's usually how these things work.

It's a load of tosh and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 06 February 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#12    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 06 February 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

And yet, as I've said, there'll probably be a contradicting newspaper story very soon which says that "being lazy" BOOSTS sperm count.

That's usually how these things work.

It's a load of tosh and should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Seems to me that you're just arguing against the study for the sake of arguing.

The data and correlation between sedentary lifestyle and sperm count:
'During the study, which involved 189 healthy 18- to 22-year-olds, men who watched the most TV (20 or more hours a week) had sperm counts that were 44 percent lower than men who did not watch television.

The findings held after the researchers took into account factors that could affect sperm count, such as smoking, body mass index (BMI) and calorie intake.

Men who watch a lot of TV may have a more sedentary lifestyle, which in turn may affect sperm count, the researchers said. Indeed, the men in the study who exercised the most doing 15 or more hours a week of moderate to vigorous physical activity had sperm counts that were higher than those of guys who exercised less than 5 hours a week.

Previous studies have found that being obese and eating a high-fat die are risk factors for lower sperm counts.

However, the new study only found an association, and cannot prove that a sedentary lifestyle lowers sperm count. The researchers also don't know if the lower sperm counts seen in the study would have an effect on the men's fertility.'

Will you link the study (when it comes out, of course, since you're so sure this is hogwash and they'll just say differently in a week) that says laziness boosts sperm count or doesn't affect it?

Argue the correlating data, or find another study that says different. Instead you went from 'it's not TV' which is stated in the article (it's sedentary lifestyles) to 'it's a load of nonsense' when that was pointed out. And anywho, the article itself just says it's an association, not a causation. There still needs to be more study.

Edited by Hasina, 06 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Maybe the sperm are evolved enough to know hmmmm my host is lazy and fat he wont be getting any,any time soon haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#14    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Maybe the sperm are evolved enough to know hmmmm my host is lazy and fat he wont be getting any,any time soon haha
I was gonna say something like that, lol. What if men with low sperm count are just naturally lazy? Like their bodies know 'well shizz, I don't have many bullets, no point in trying.'

Posted Image

~MEH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users