Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ohio School Janitors To Carry Handguns

Beckys_Mom

A rural Ohio school district will arm its janitors with handguns to protect students in the wake of last month's shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

The school board has voted unanimously to have the four custodians at the district's nursery and main school begin carrying handguns, the Toledo Blade reports.

In a message to parents on the district's website, Superintendent Jamison Grime said the school board decided to arm staff in order to "substantially enhance and strengthen our security efforts."

The janitors - all men - will buy their own guns. Teachers and others with direct supervision of students will not be armed.

School board president Larry Martin said the district began looking into arming employees six months ago.

Read More - http://news.sky.com/...-carry-handguns

I wonder if more schools will do the same ?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

And the interesting question is: Who tells them that the janitor will not develop the "disgruntled postman syndrome"?

• Like 5

And the interesting question is: Who tells them that the janitor will not develop the "disgruntled postman syndrome"?

Yea true enough, because the second they get guns, it turns them into wannabe killers with mental disorders...They could easily go on a rampage if someone spills their juice on the play ground

What where they thinking eh?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but going by your logic, does that mean every single person who owns a gun, will develop some sort of mental / anger disorder and go nuts killing people?

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

well, yea, in reality, it is not every single person who owns a gun, it is every single person. period.

Edited by aztek

A rural Ohio school district will arm its janitors with handguns to protect students in the wake of last month's shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

The school board has voted unanimously to have the four custodians at the district's nursery and main school begin carrying handguns, the Toledo Blade reports.

In a message to parents on the district's website, Superintendent Jamison Grime said the school board decided to arm staff in order to "substantially enhance and strengthen our security efforts."

The janitors - all men - will buy their own guns. Teachers and others with direct supervision of students will not be armed.

School board president Larry Martin said the district began looking into arming employees six months ago.

Read More - http://news.sky.com/...-carry-handguns

I wonder if more schools will do the same ?

Gah, hopefully there will be extensive (in every aspect) checks before handing anyone in charge of a bunch of kids a gun.

Nibs

• Like 4

Yea true enough, because the second they get guns, it turns them into wannabe killers with mental disorders...They could easily go on a rampage if someone spills their juice on the play ground

What where they thinking eh?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but going by your logic, does that mean every single person who owns a gun, will develop some sort of mental / anger disorder and go nuts killing people?

I am not saying that, but unless I am mistaken the janitorial system in most states draws from the same pool as the US Postal Service, mostly veterans get a several point preference (making most of the jobs only available to veterans during bad economic times). And before the big school shootings it was going postal.

It may not happen but the risk factor is there.

Not a good idea to adopt this blanketly, though with an evaluation a case to case situation could be favorable.

I find it interesting that they are willing to arm janitors, but not teachers or others with direct supervision. This my be old fashioned of me, but when I was a kid, janitors were just as much out in the student population as the other staff. And yeah, if you were making a mess in the cafeteria or there was a flooded bathroom, the janitors sure did have interactions with kids. So I'm not sure what the difference is of having armed staff that has indirect action with the kids, but not allowing arming of direct staff. It's still staff carrying guns around students.

Yes, because the person we want armed on school grounds is the person who has (literally) the s**t job, the one who is working from the moment they arrive on campus to the moment they leave, the ones who are paid a pittance.

• Like 1

Yes, because the person we want armed on school grounds is the person who has (literally) the s**t job, the one who is working from the moment they arrive on campus to the moment they leave, the ones who are paid a pittance.

Well, after the "good" experience made by paying the cops a Sh@t during the 1920s it may be just as successful, who knows...

I am not saying that, but unless I am mistaken the janitorial system in most states draws from the same pool as the US Postal Service, mostly veterans get a several point preference (making most of the jobs only available to veterans during bad economic times). And before the big school shootings it was going postal.

It may not happen but the risk factor is there.

Not a good idea to adopt this blanketly, though with an evaluation a case to case situation could be favorable.

Wouldn't veterans be a much better idea, as they would likely be already trained on how to handle weapons? ( How to react, handle dire situations and so forth )

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

Wouldn't veterans be a much better idea, as they would likely be already trained on how to handle weapons? ( How to react, handle dire situations and so forth )

It would, would it not be that at the lower level positions only those veterans find employment that are deemed not suitable for other positions in local and federal government, either for health or education reasons.

But one thing is for sure: They know how to handle a gun, mostly.

I find it interesting that they are willing to arm janitors, but not teachers or others with direct supervision. This my be old fashioned of me, but when I was a kid, janitors were just as much out in the student population as the other staff. And yeah, if you were making a mess in the cafeteria or there was a flooded bathroom, the janitors sure did have interactions with kids. So I'm not sure what the difference is of having armed staff that has indirect action with the kids, but not allowing arming of direct staff. It's still staff carrying guns around students.

The article reads - The Buckeye Firearms Association said more than 1,000 educators across Ohio have applied for its armed teacher training programme, but it is unclear whether any other school districts have approved similar programmes.

Eh, wouldn't really matter if its a vet or a janitor IMO. As long as it is a mentally stable and capable person.

In the US we have a HUGE (and horribly sad) issue with vets who are suicidal or just sadly broken.

IMO Training is the answer.

(Side note - Columbine had an armed deputy on sight.)

Nibs

This just strikes me as a horrifically terrible idea.

Lets just pay janitors to do janitorial stuff.

If security is that necessary, then pay for a security guard, or a policeman. Someone with more than 'two days' of book learnin'.

I don't think anyone wants to see our country turn back into the wild west.

• Like 3

This just strikes me as a horrifically terrible idea.

Lets just pay janitors to do janitorial stuff.

If security is that necessary, then pay for a security guard, or a policeman. Someone with more than 'two days' of book learnin'.

I don't think anyone wants to see our country turn back into the wild west.

Yeh, but nobody is willing to pay the costs for a qualified guard either....

i argee, not only you got to wipe crap after them, be treated like crap, now they have to risk their life to protect them, yea right, i'm sure every janitor dreams of it, lol, NOT.

Eh, wouldn't really matter if its a vet or a janitor IMO. As long as it is a mentally stable and capable person.

In the US we have a HUGE (and horribly sad) issue with vets who are suicidal or just sadly broken.

IMO Training is the answer.

Nibs

I figured they would need more than just two days safety training? Then again, I know sweet fanny all about guns

(Side note - Columbine had an armed deputy on sight.)

At an army barracks in N.Ireland, ( County Antrim ) the second an IRA gunman opened fire on two soldiers, who thought they were on their way to collect their pizza ..The armed guards hid away

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I figured they would need more than just two days safety training? Then again, I know sweet fanny all about guns

At an army barracks in N.Ireland, ( County Antrim ) the second an IRA gunman opened fire on two soldiers, who thought they were on their way to collect their pizza ..The armed guards hid away

Yeah, I hope they get far more than two days training and that they also get mental evaluations periodically.

*sigh*

I wish there was a good answer. :(

Nibs

I fail to see how a janitor, getting an average of 21K a year , would be more willing to risk his behind.

i argee, not only you got to wipe crap after them, be treated like crap, now they have to risk their life to protect them, yea right, i'm sure every janitor dreams of it, lol, NOT.

The janitors are buying the guns themselves.. They obviously wanted to do this

Yeah, I hope they get far more than two days training and that they also get mental evaluations periodically.

*sigh*

Nibs

I too don't think there really is a good answer.. But I think people are fed up to the back teeth with these shootings

What I didn't get was, how the parents didn't have a say ? Then again, I don't know the full story...

*sigh*

Nibs

The good answer is: get reliable and stable security personnel. But reliable and stable security personnel costs more money that the tax payer is willing to allow.... in fact lately they are not even willing to allow for new books in the library in many districts.

And one armed guard to supervise a school of 1700 pupils (like Columbine) is but a band aid. You might not have any.

I fail to see how a janitor, getting an average of 21K a year, would be more willing to risk his behind.

They agreed to go off and buy their own guns.. Whether that means they like their job and want to protect the kids or not? is something I cannot call...

• Like 1