Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Traces of another world found on the Moon

Waspie_Dwarf

Traces of another world found on the Moon

Researchers have found evidence of the world that crashed into the Earth billions of years ago to form the Moon.

Analysis of lunar rock brought back by Apollo astronauts shows traces of the "planet" called Theia.

The researchers claim that their discovery confirms the theory that the Moon was created by just such a cataclysmic collision.

The study has been published in the journal Science.

The accepted theory since the 1980s is that the Moon arose as a result of a collision between the Earth and Theia 4.5bn years ago.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 6

It's at least nice to know the name of the planet which struck us. :/

• Like 2

Will Theia come back again?

It never left !

Theia and the Earth melted together on the impact, and the debris left over became the Moon.

So you might say Theia is part of us all. :tu:

• Like 4

Interplanetary billiards. One little tryst between planets and out pops a baby moon.

• Like 2

What a site these collisions in the early solar system must have been.

Another article on this discovery http://www.extremete...opment-lives-on

Yes, imagine what a beautiful and awesome sight it would have been.

I know that we came eons and eons of time and space later....but we are still all apart of the magnificence. :-*

• Like 2

My word the Earth has had a rough trot, makes you wonder how we managed to survive this long given the cosmic warfare going on around throughout the eons....

My word the Earth has had a rough trot, makes you wonder how we managed to survive this long given the cosmic warfare going on around throughout the eons....

Humanity has had a few close calls...

• Like 2

Yes, imagine what a beautiful and awesome sight it would have been.

I know that we came eons and eons of time and space later....but we are still all apart of the magnificence. :-*

Absolutely! One theory goes that the blast of a Supernova is what would start the accretion of the dust clouds into larger and larger bodies while simultaneously seeding the cloud with the heavy elements necessary for life and planet formation, so as the saying goes, we are all stardust.

Without the gas giants playing goalkeeper for us I'd guess we'd have been getting smashed quite a bit more often and we probably woudn't be here! The Permian extinction, 256 million years ago, was the most destructive extinction in earth's history with 96% of all marine species dying off and nearly as many land animals, including insects also going extinct.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

Humanity has had a few close calls...

If there was any life on the earth then it was obliterated and had to start over.

Neither Mars nor Venus have at this time much of a magnetic field, and ours has been present steadily ever since the collision that resulted in the moon and probably as a result of the extra heat the earth got in the event.

One wonders if being such an "almost double planet" originating in such a collision is part of the conditions necessary for billions of years of evolution, both the magnetic field and plate tectonics (although that would also require a source of hydration that as I understand it has not been fully worked out). If so, life or at least advanced multi-cellular life may well turn out to be extremely rare even if the galaxy is populated by millions of earth size planets circling sun like stars in the Goldilocks zone. In short we have poor values for many of the elements in the Drake equation, and there may be other variables he didn't think of.

This theory sure beats the one that was thrown around a few months ago that our Moon was stolen from Venus. One thing that always puzzled me is how did all the planets form so roundish as they did. If everything was colliding in various directions, I would have expected a few capsule shapes or box-like shapes.

"The difference is too small," he said. "We don't know how the Moon was formed. What we need are manned missions to the Moon and a search for rocks deeper under the lunar surface, that have not been polluted by meteorite impacts and the solar wind."

Yep - let's send some bull dozers and excavation to the Moon to evaluate the rocks. Solar powered of course.

Edited by paperdyer

This theory sure beats the one that was thrown around a few months ago that our Moon was stolen from Venus. One thing that always puzzled me is how did all the planets form so roundish as they did. If everything was colliding in various directions, I would have expected a few capsule shapes or box-like shapes.

It is basically because gravity will naturally tend to form a star, planet or moon into a sphere. All planets and moons above 1.500 kilometers in diameter are spheroid.

(Technically the Earth isn't round, it's an oblate spheroid :innocent: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_equilibrium#Astrophysics

• Like 1

Samples from the moon. It's taken them this long to work it out.!

Analytical techniques are fare better than they were in the sixties and seventies when the rocks were brought to Earth. It's not really surprising that new discoveries are still being made.

If there was any life on the earth then it was obliterated and had to start over.

Neither Mars nor Venus have at this time much of a magnetic field, and ours has been present steadily ever since the collision that resulted in the moon and probably as a result of the extra heat the earth got in the event.

The extra heat and the extra iron - the cores combined while the lighter material returned to space, coalesced, and formed the Moon.

One wonders if being such an "almost double planet" originating in such a collision is part of the conditions necessary for billions of years of evolution, both the magnetic field and plate tectonics (although that would also require a source of hydration that as I understand it has not been fully worked out). If so, life or at least advanced multi-cellular life may well turn out to be extremely rare even if the galaxy is populated by millions of earth size planets circling sun like stars in the Goldilocks zone. In short we have poor values for many of the elements in the Drake equation, and there may be other variables he didn't think of.

The Moon itself has made it much easier for life to evolve on the Earth. The Moon prevents the Earth from tumbling in its orbit - causing dramatic climate changes (for example, if the North pole constantly faced the sun, the southern hemisphere would be frozen over.)

The Moon keeps the Earth's "wobbles" within a certain limit of degrees due to it's gravitational force on the Earth.

Harte

this could be from a comet or asstroid hitting the moon from this planet that there speaking about. its not nessary the moon was part of earth or the earth was bigger and the moon broke off its all opinions.

Edited by coolguy

There might have been a few at least 3 other human societies before that went extinct when major apocalyptic events have taken place. These events are well imprinted in geological substrates. In the same time earth is extremely old, with complex life form flourishing hundred of millions year ago. Humanity is being said has been only 100.000 years ago. There is a huge gab between. There were other generations ahead of us for sure.

There might have been a few at least 3 other human societies before that went extinct when major apocalyptic events have taken place. These events are well imprinted in geological substrates. In the same time earth is extremely old, with complex life form flourishing hundred of millions year ago. Humanity is being said has been only 100.000 years ago. There is a huge gab between. There were other generations ahead of us for sure.

What might have been and what was are two different things. Speculation without evidence. There are evidences of catastrophes, but nothing that would have eliminated signs of civilization.

Earth and her moon are actually extremely young on the galactic calendar but please, provide your proof so we can discuss.

• Like 1

How can they tell the difference between material left by an asteroid that hit the moon and material left by a planet?

Seems to me the make up could be identical.

Edited by Socio

How can they tell the difference between material left by an asteroid that hit the moon and material left by a planet?

Seems to me the make up could be identical.

Pressures under the crust create different minerals than would be found on an asteroid.

Like olivine, for example (IIRC), though I doubt that's what was found.

Harte

I'm struggling to make any sense of that.

There's no "gap" to explain. Anatomically modern humans arose about 200,000 - 100,000 years ago. Before that there's a fossil record of various other hominid species going back several million years ago that are generally more ape like as they go back so there's no reason to speculate that modern humanity arose any earlier than it did as the evidence is pretty clear on that matter. Human civilisation as in agriculture and large scale settlements are known to have first arisen c. 10,000 years ago. There is no record of civilisation before that and I don't know what "apocalyptic events" you're referring to that have happened since the dawn of modern humans that could possibly have wiped out previous civilisations without leaving a trace. There's no "for sure" about it. It's just idle speculation on your part.

Your post is so vague I'm not even sure if that's what you were getting at. Can you put it into specific claims with the evidence for what you're claiming?

• Like 3

I'm struggling to make any sense of that.

I'm still puzzled as to how it is, in any way, on topic.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 3

I'm still puzzled as to how it is, in any way, on topic.

There's that too.
  • Like 1