Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emoticons

_hAiLO_

How often do you use this:user posted image

It creates an expression of....utter 'shock'.

I miss the old ones....

Saruman, the old ones were just as good laugh.gif .

who else agrees?

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _hAiLO_

• Saru

• AliceCoopersGirl

• Snowbaby

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been trying to move us away from the older emoticons and aiming to have them all of the "Invision Board" style, you can still use old smilies if you host them yourself, but unfortunately they won't be available in the smilies list any more.

I love the new ones...I use a lot of my own as well. thumbsup.gif

Smiley Heaven!!! The new smileys are great, and as Saru says, u can add ur own within posts... I should know, I'm a smiley-addict!! w00t.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I rarely use Emoticons cause i think there stupid

AlisClan and Morpheas those are awesome emotions.. yes.gif

Smilies are awsome! These are my favorites

sleepy.gifbounce.gifwavey.gifwhistling2.gifcat.gifclap.gifnotworthy.gif

heh I love the smilies grin2.gif they put more feeling into what you type.

we need:

STAR WARS smilies!!!

or maybe the ghostbusters logo, that would be neato!

user posted image

Make some! I made the above one from the UM smilies, sorry SaRu, hope its not copyright grin2.gif

Man i need to find more smileys that look cool! Where can i find some cool smileys cAN yah plz give me a website for it plz wink2.gif

Man i need to find more smileys that look cool! Where can i find some cool smileys cAN yah plz give me a website for it plz wink2.gif

536128[/snapback]

Sometimes you have to buy them disgust.gif

In case anyone does it, can I ask that everyone please upload smilies to their own web space before hotlinking to them, don't hotlink to smilies on other people's web sites, as that consitutes bandwidth theft.

Thanks.

For thicko's like me, can u explain what u mean by that please Saru?

Ok, when you use a smilie which is not from UM's own smiley list, you have to use IMG tags to add that smilie to your post.

If the smilie is located on someone's web site, for example lets say abcd.com, and you use IMG tags to add that smilie to a post on UM :

[IMG=http://www.abcd.com/asmilie.gif]

Every time someone views that smilie on UM, the image is retrieved from abcd.com, and uses up some of that site's bandwidth. The same applies when images are posted using IMG tags from other sites, every view steals some of that site's bandwidth. It's known as 'bandwidth theft', it happens here too, there are site's stealing UM's bandwidth in a similar manner.

To avoid this, you can upload the smilies to your own web space, or free hosted web space that allows hotlinking, so that you don't steal someone else's bandwidth. Same goes for any images displayed through IMG tags.

Fortunately UM has it's own server and bandwidth theft isn't much of a problem, but on some smaller sites with limited bandwidth allocation, it can be a considerable annoyance.

thumbsup.gif

Oh i see now, thankies for that original.gif

Try this site hun...there are loads there and its easy to use...hope that helps.. wink2.gif

Just to add to what I said before, sites like the one linked to by Alice above don't apply to what I was saying about bandwidth theft, because they actually encourage hotlinking to their smilies. thumbsup.gif