Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evangelicals deny children education

Guest Br Cornelius

Guest Br Cornelius
Waiting for the Rapture: Christian homeschoolers in Texas refuse to educate their nine children because they believe the Rapture is at hand.

Last year the Texas Eighth District Court of Appeals ruled that Christian homeschooling parents Laura and Michael McIntyre were not exempt from state education regulations after they refused to educate their nine children because they believed they would soon be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2015/11/christian-homeschoolers-refuse-to-educate-children-because-rapture-is-imminent/#sthash.BlTTvKpH.dpuf

These people are not dangerous ??

Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

No. I agree they are irresponsible. Your rhetoric is a little shrill. Are YOU dangerous? They have no right to fail to educate responsibly but they do have the right to educate at home - IF they do so in accordance with the legal standards. You seem to assume that the very fact that they believe in a snatching away of the church by Christ makes them scary or dangerous. There are millions of human beings who devoutly believe in the blessed hope. Why does it affect you so urgently?
  • Like 5

Br Cornelius

Dangerous to themselves maybe, but not really for others. Denying children the right to education is irresponsible and deplorable. Otherwise, come talk to me when they start stoning their daughters or throwing homosexuals off roofs.

• Like 5

Dangerous to themselves maybe, but not really for others. Denying children the right to education is irresponsible and deplorable. Otherwise, come talk to me when they start stoning their daughters or throwing homosexuals off roofs.

Well, it's dangererous for the children who are going to be brainwashed by religious nuts, rather than having a proper education.

No. I agree they are irresponsible. Your rhetoric is a little shrill. Are YOU dangerous? They have no right to fail to educate responsibly but they do have the right to educate at home - IF they do so in accordance with the legal standards. You seem to assume that the very fact that they believe in a snatching away of the church by Christ makes them scary or dangerous. There are millions of human beings who devoutly believe in the blessed hope. Why does it affect you so urgently?

From the article, these parents simply refused any education to their kids because of a belief that end-times is near.

There is no mention of home schooling in this case. Even so, there needs to be strict guidelines as to what home schooling actually implies.

Edited by Sam.
  • Like 2

Well, it's dangererous for the children, who are going to be brainwashed by religious nuts, rather than having a proper education.

From the article, these parents simply refused any education to their kids because of a belief that end-time is near. There is no mention of home schooling.

When you've been here a little while you'll be able to understand Brutha's intent on most such threads. You are correct in that those children have a right for better - everything. But he's talking about "danger" to the world at large. If he isn't it'd be a first ;)
  • Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

This sort of thing is indicative of how whole states are allowing whacko ideas to corrupt the process of children receiving an education. There are plenty of schools which would like ideas as outrageous as the rapture to become the mainstream educational fodder. That is dangerous to society as a whole and will certainly drag America into the gutter of backwardness.

Br Cornelius

It is a burden for the rest of us who have to support these people and try to bring them up to speed once they are able to leave legally.

They can become a danger if they have no idea on how to behave in regular society and have to be educated on how to get by in this world while they wait for their "rapture" to not occur..repeatedly. (all the while being told, each and every time, that they are being 'tested' by their god)

• Like 3

When you've been here a little while you'll be able to understand Brutha's intent on most such threads. You are correct in that those children have a right for better - everything. But he's talking about "danger" to the world at large. If he isn't it'd be a first ;)

I am a Theist (but non-religious) and I have no problem with the God Theory being presented in a rational manner to children but in no way should a parent's beliefs, whatever they are - stand in the way of a proper schooling. Education is a right and no one should be denied that right because of some crazy folks.

Edited by Sam.
  • Like 3

This sort of thing is indicative of how whole states are allowing whacko ideas to corrupt the process of children receiving an education. There are plenty of schools which would like ideas as outrageous as the rapture to become the mainstream educational fodder. That is dangerous to society as a whole and will certainly drag America into the gutter of backwardness.

Br Cornelius

If we are dragged there it will be by those of your destructive, hateful mindset. For someone who considers himself so very erudite, you are a master at painting with the broadest brush possible - and with the least proof. One hick family suddenly means the downfall of America. Wish fulfillment? Dream on simian ;)
  • Like 3

How were these people smart enough to get sperm into the right hole................NINE TIMES?

Trial and error

• Like 4

Guest Br Cornelius

If we are dragged there it will be by those of your destructive, hateful mindset. For someone who considers himself so very erudite, you are a master at painting with the broadest brush possible - and with the least proof. One hick family suddenly means the downfall of America. Wish fulfillment? Dream on simian ;)

There is ample evidence of fundamentalist religion corruption state level education. I have very good reason for concern. And yes I do hate people like you who support it happening.

Br Cornelius

There is ample evidence of fundamentalist religion corruption state level education. I have very good reason for concern. And yes I do hate people like you who support it happening.

Br Cornelius

lol

Guest Br Cornelius

Abusive atheists endanger children, too. There's bad apples in every barrel. http://www.nobeliefs.../comments13.htm

How is this in any way relevant to a discussion about education standards ? It look like an attempt to even some scores with irrelevant information.

As if it comes as any surprise that any person can commit child sexual abuse.

Br Cornelius

lol

is that a nervous tick you've got going on ?

Br Cornelius

How is this in any way relevant to a discussion about education standards ? It look like an attempt to even some scores with irrelevant information.

As if it comes as any surprise that any person can commit child sexual abuse.

Br Cornelius

is that a nervous tick you've got going on ?

Br Cornelius

Oh, piffle, Cornelius. You're just bored and and trying to start one of your usual kerfuffles so you can bash religion and show your backside. :-*
  • Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

Oh, piffle, Cornelius. You're just bored and and trying to start one of your usual kerfuffles so you can bash religion and show your backside. :-*

I ask again why did you bring that irrelevant information to this discussion ??

Br Cornelius

I ask again why did you bring that irrelevant information to this discussion ??

Br Cornelius

Is that twitch I'm detecting? Why? To show how easy it is to start pointless threads by cherry picking a few outrageous examples of a group and then pontificating about them as you are fond of doing. Are you going to take on the Amish, next? :innocent:
  • Like 3

I sometimes wonder what if someone had a really bad, horrific experience by some religious organization and that's where their hate comes from , only they won't tell of it .

Or professing concern for someone denied the educational experience he's profited little from?
  • Like 1

Or professing concern for someone denied the educational experience he's profited little from?

lol

I guess we'll never know?

I find it abusive to the children, that they are being told they are going to die soon. I have nothing against home schooling. Atheists home school too. And there should be a national curriculum and someone home schoolers reports to so the kids are getting the education needed to function.

This is outright irresponsible for the parents to do this to the kids, they need their education. Are the parents at work, or they stopped that too?

Granted, they crazies and good responsible people in all belief and non-belief systems. So, basing a set of parents does not label the religion. Frankly, and this might sound a bit much for me to say, but I think all parents need to be watched, so all children are raised healthy, happy, and well adjusted.

But, yes, these parents doing this to their kids, are p***ing me off. For crying out loud, a kid ran away from home to go to school!!

• Like 3