Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists discover second, secret DNA code

Still Waters

Scientists have long believed that DNA tells the cells how to make proteins. But the discovery of a new, second DNA code Thursday suggests the body speaks two different languages.

The findings in the journal Science may have big implications for how medical experts use the genomes of patients to interpret and diagnose diseases, researchers said.

http://uk.news.yahoo...67.html#3EPwQy2

• Like 3

Uhmmm ... someone please inform the Fairplay for Extra Terrestrials League ...

• Like 1

Scientists have long believed that DNA tells the cells how to make proteins. But the discovery of a new, second DNA code Thursday suggests the body speaks two different languages.

The findings in the journal Science may have big implications for how medical experts use the genomes of patients to interpret and diagnose diseases, researchers said.

Thank you for the post Still Waters :)

Its discovery means DNA changes, or mutations that come with age or in response to viruses, may be doing more than what scientists previously thought, he said.

"For over 40 years we have assumed that DNA changes affecting the genetic code solely impact how proteins are made," said lead author John Stamatoyannopoulos, University of Washington associate professor of genome sciences and of medicine.

"Now we know that this basic assumption about reading the human genome missed half of the picture," he said.

"Many DNA changes that appear to alter protein sequences may actually cause disease by disrupting gene control programs or even both mechanisms simultaneously."

I suspect they are missing MORE than half and are on the right track. I say this because some genetic "defective" people that also had an unrelated virus involvement early in life do not develop the full blown genetic disease as expected. So some of the influence of certain viruses or even bacteria can actually trigger a beneficial protective mechanism in a genetic anomoly. How could that be explained unless a anopther type of code in the DNA is triggered and activated? IMO I don't think that all that "junk" DNA is junk it just hasn't been activated by an enviromental exposure. Whether it has a good or bad result genetically is an individual genetic response. Facinating area of research :)

• Like 3

Damn, didn't see this comming,...

or did i? O.o

Dang , there we go an article for all of you attributing too much credibility to science. Imagine that this fact is only being discovered now. Wondering how much time they will still need until discovering God's secret ingredients within our bodies. Probably never! The wonders of science are moving with Snail steps.

Dang , there we go an article for all of you attributing too much credibility to science. Imagine that this fact is only being discovered now. Wondering how much time they will still need until discovering God's secret ingredients within our bodies. Probably never! The wonders of science are moving with Snail steps.

Last I checked, modern science has lead to low infant death rates, travel to the moon and peering into the deep cosmos and into the origins of our planet and the human species.

Not to mention the science that went into developing the computer and internet and electricity you are using. Most of which has developed over the last hundred years.

Edit: And don't require any particular religious belief to accept, save extreme fanaticism.

Edited by ShadowSot
  • Like 4

The discovery showed how frugal nature sometimes is, using the same code for two different purposes. The idea is to pack as much info into as small a space as possible I guess.

I'm kinda curious what "God's secret ingredients" might look like and what function they might serve. Maybe genetic code for the soul? I'm sorry but that sort of statement is very hard to refrain from ridiculing.

• Like 1

I'm kinda curious what "God's secret ingredients" might look like and what function they might serve. Maybe genetic code for the soul? I'm sorry but that sort of statement is very hard to refrain from ridiculing.

Presumably it's hidden in the slight differences between human, bonobo, and chimpanzee genomes.

• Like 1

ondering how much time they will still need until discovering God's secret ingredients within our bodies.

I thought that WAS DNA...?

Last I checked, modern science has lead to low infant death rates, travel to the moon and peering into the deep cosmos and into the origins of our planet and the human species.

Not to mention the science that went into developing the computer and internet and electricity you are using. Most of which has developed over the last hundred years.

Edit: And don't require any particular religious belief to accept, save extreme fanaticism.

And at cost i might ask ?

In the same time to what good? Convenience?

And at cost i might ask ?

Mostly time and effort and money. The medical do require testing. The proudest moments have been when those subjects were volunteers, the darkest were when they were forced.

In the same time to what good? Convenience?

Yes. The conveniences of parents being able to watch their children grow to be adults.

The internet has facilitated communication across nations and encouraging the free exchange of ideas, something that leads to general improvement and progress for the societies that partake in it, something we can see throughout history, take the Library in Alexandria for example.

I live in the United States of America, the country that stands out from the rest of the developed nations for both it's religiosity and it's violence. One cannot help but notice that those countries which are most religious, are also violent.

Have you noticed that there is no explanation on what was discovered? Nothing scientific in this article. When I searched for it, I couldn't find out just what that code was and how they found it. It is all so vague. While I do believe that it may well be true, there is no science whatsoever given for it. I maintain that the environment the cell is in heavily influences gene expression.

Edited by regeneratia

Interesting.

But WHAT is interesting? What it is? I need to know more.

But WHAT is interesting? What it is? I need to know more.

The second DNA code is interesting.

The second DNA code is interesting.

Yes, but what is it? I am still looking. "John Stamatoyannopoulos" what a name!

This is a better explanation:

"

The genetic code is similar for all organisms and is stored in one of the two DNA strands as non-overlapping, linear sequence of nitrogenous bases Adenine (A), Guanine (G), Cytosine © and Thymine (T). These four letters are the 'alphabet' of the genetic code and are used to writeicon1.png code wordsicon1.png.

The code consists of three-letter words (also called triplets or codons). There are a total of 64 codons.

Now, researchers have found that the codons, which they refer to as duons, can be used for gene control. The team says that about 15 percent of codons could act as duons and that these bilingual genetic codes have shaped protein evolution."

http://www.naturewor...researchers.htm

So some codons have different functions, the ones that control gene expression. They now call those codons with different functions, duons. Interesting. You can be assured I will watch this play out. It is still pretty vague.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 1