Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Where do athiests think we came from?


  • Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#76    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 29 November 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

I wouldn't call it that. Were you high?
I am laughing so hard.


#77    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 29 November 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

That's because there isn't an answer. Just educated guesses based on decades of observation, experimentation and maths.

Yes and none of those observations, experiments or maths have proven there is no god either. Where as some of those have shown signs ther eis an unexplainable link between everything.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#78    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 7,490 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostSetton, on 28 November 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Certainly, definitely, in your opinion? Please tell me that was meant to be a joke :P
It  was my opinion based on what I personally "believe".
Joke? please tell me why you would think that? You give me some concrete proof that god is around us as opposed to the forces of nature which has been proven.
I give fill up this whole forum on what is natural around us and what effect nature has on our lives and life itself. nature is not a god, it is a creative force within the  elements of the Universe. :P

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#79    Idano

Idano

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined:24 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Illinois, USA

  • If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

We're stardust...really

What could possibly go wrong?

#80    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Yes and none of those observations, experiments or maths have proven there is no god either.
We don't have observations, experiments or maths to disprove leprechauns, faeries, pixies, gnomes, elves, or dragons either.


#81    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 4,830 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostCoffey, on 29 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Yes and none of those observations, experiments or maths have proven there is no god either. Where as some of those have shown signs ther eis an unexplainable link between everything.

So an as of yet unexplained mechanism in quantum physics means god? Please. Talk about reaching.
I don't fully understand fluid dynamics. Must be god, right?

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#82    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,208 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 29 November 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

So an as of yet unexplained mechanism in quantum physics means god? Please. Talk about reaching.
I don't fully understand fluid dynamics. Must be god, right?

Eh, I don't understand how my car engine works...god???


Like I taught my kids - saying I don't know is ok.  There is no need to fill any knowledge gap with magic.  It's NEVER the answer.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#83    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 4,830 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 29 November 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Eh, I don't understand how my car engine works...god???


Like I taught my kids - saying I don't know is ok.  There is no need to fill any knowledge gap with magic.  It's NEVER the answer.

Nibs

I know how most of my engine works. The cooling system is the realm of god, however.

View PostIdano, on 29 November 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

We're stardust...really

Probably the most accurate thing stated in this thread.

View PostAlienated Being, on 29 November 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

We don't have observations, experiments or maths to disprove leprechauns, faeries, pixies, gnomes, elves, or dragons either.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, that means that they are real.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 29 November 2012 - 11:22 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#84    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 29 November 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:


Well, OBVIOUSLY, that means that they are real.
Oh, how I love argumentum ad ignorantiam.


#85    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 4,830 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 29 November 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

Oh, how I love argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Seems to be the most common approach on here. I've not heard one logical argument for the existence of a god. Ever.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#86    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 29 November 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

Seems to be the most common approach on here. I've not heard one logical argument for the existence of a god. Ever.
While there have been some impressive arguments on here, I have yet to find one that convinces me of god's existence as being "irrefutable". Most of those who favour god (and I know you know EXACTLY who I am speaking of) tend to concoct their own theories based on pseudo-scientific claptrap. It is hard to take them seriously.


#87    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

It  was my opinion based on what I personally "believe".
Joke? please tell me why you would think that? You give me some concrete proof that god is around us as opposed to the forces of nature which has been proven.
I give fill up this whole forum on what is natural around us and what effect nature has on our lives and life itself. nature is not a god, it is a creative force within the  elements of the Universe. :P

[Finished banging head on wall]

You cannot say that something is certainly, definitely the case and that it is just your opinion in the same sentence. They contradict each other.

As has been said by others, when you can disprove something, you can say it doesn't exist. Until then your just filling the gaps. Just as bad as filling them with leprechauns. When you have conclusive proof that gods cannot exist, give me a shout :sleepy:

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#88    freetoroam

freetoroam

    Honourary member of the UM asylum

  • Member
  • 7,490 posts
  • Joined:11 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:rivers and canals of England and Wales.

  • If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostSetton, on 29 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

[Finished banging head on wall]

You cannot say that something is certainly, definitely the case and that it is just your opinion in the same sentence. They contradict each other.

As has been said by others, when you can disprove something, you can say it doesn't exist. Until then your just filling the gaps. Just as bad as filling them with leprechauns. When you have conclusive proof that gods cannot exist, give me a shout :sleepy:
You see, this is what confuses me among the happy clappy lot. There is no proof at all that god exists, but you still insist on it. Fine, i respect that, but please do not tell me he does when you can not show conclusive proof that he does.
I have the conclusive proof he does not exist: there is absolutely no evidence found throughout history to back you up,  all you have to back up your theory is what is in your head and what is written in a novel...and that just aint good enough for me.

You can not spin this one round when you have NO proof.

you can not ask someone to prove something is, when there is nothing to prove in the first place and nothing to prove it with!

Edited by freetoroam, 30 November 2012 - 12:07 AM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#89    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 4,830 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 29 November 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

While there have been some impressive arguments on here, I have yet to find one that convinces me of god's existence as being "irrefutable". Most of those who favour god (and I know you know EXACTLY who I am speaking of) tend to concoct their own theories based on pseudo-scientific claptrap. It is hard to take them seriously.

I've seen some of the strangest arguments for god(s) on these forums. And you're right, it's almost always based on malarkey and flimflammery. Or it's just "I know."

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#90    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

    Government Agent

  • Banned
  • 4,163 posts
  • Joined:03 Sep 2006

  • "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

    "Record

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 30 November 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

I've seen some of the strangest arguments for god(s) on these forums. And you're right, it's almost always based on malarkey and flimflammery. Or it's just "I know."
"God is real to me because he revealed himself to me in an experience. To reinforce my belief, I... (insert pseudo scientific bull****)."

Edited by Alienated Being, 30 November 2012 - 12:26 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users