Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's fake a Bigfoot

Didya See That

After finding UM because of true crime threads, this has to be my favorite section now. Interesting to see what people post from both sides of the debate. After reading these threads for a while and pure curiosity, I wonder if the other members (both sides) that follow these threads are willing to have a little fun.

Using materials that existed in the mid 1960s (Have to assume it took some time to make the suit). How could we make the Patterson suit?

My thoughts would start with bear skin, because it is bigger and requires less animals to make a suit of that size. I have seen bears skins in person and they look a little more bristly then what I can make out from the Patterson Bigfoot. Still, might work if we used some old fashioned hair stuff like Brylcreem. But the fur on the Patterson Bigfoot doesn't really look like it had the greasy look of those products.

So, what to use, goat hair looks right, with some brown hair dye to even out the color and the will to skin several goats you can get enough to make the suit.

Now, we need a big man, willing to dress in Bigfoot drag that can be trusted and willing to be on hand to get a custom suit fitted to him. Personally I would want a chunky big man for this job, less padding needed, adding the needed quilted stuffing to the front of the suit and use some glue or contact cement to form fit the fur to the man's back on filming day.

Arms and legs I would use metal snaps, small enough to hide under the fur but secure enough to have a nice tight seem and allow movement.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Snap_fastener

Making the bigfoot a female is almost a no brainer, local XXX stores are not handy to get reasonable looking Man Parts to dangle at the time.

"It's Booty time!" Since primates booty seems a little lower, going to have to pad one up that hangs down a little lower than our human guy in the suit, since chubby men usually do not have much booty, the man's booty will actually look like lower back muscles when the glue grabs. The booty looking dumpy and lumpy is ok because that how Patterson's Bigfoots looks so, basically make a little pillow tightly stuffed and use contact cement to attach it to the inside of the fur and hope for the best.

BOOBIES!, Patterson's look a little low on the chest compared to most humans and gorillas to me. So, how do I make those, from what it looks like on his, I would take wet leather and mold it into cone shapes and let it dry, add stuffing and cut holes in the goat skin and sew them in. The nipples, not real sure about this, since it is a one time use, and I would probably burn the suit if I did not want to be caught with it later I would probably use wax to make them and glue them on...And hope a real male Bigfoot did happen by while shooting the film to give them a pinch.

The arms look a little long to be human to me in all the pictures, but the Patterson Bigfoot stays bent forward at all times. To be safe I would stuff a pair of leather gloves with a little fur contact cemented to them, and leave room for the man to put his fingers in about palm deep to give it wrist action while filming. Sew them to the end of the suit sleeves that snap to the shirt section.

The head section, and nose, To make it look like Patterson's I would make a padded cone head hood with fur that would blend into the shirt section of the suit and use snaps to attach it at the neckline. The Nose and face, looks like he used some form of modeling clay to make the nose look bigger, so we use a little glue to make sure the nose stays in place and the strip of fur to connect both sides of the opening for the face. Have to glue the fur directly to the mans skin from the mouth down to the neck to make it look decent.

With a few fittings of the hood and shirt and I would make sure the pants section pulled tight to the upper body (Shirt section) with snaps. The feet, they look so odd in the still pictures, Very flat and inflexible and oddly lighter colored that I would imagine...So, most outdoorsmen of that day and age carried a pocket knife and whittled or knew a little wood carving, Patterson's are not that impressive so lets make some wooden sandals. and carve the foot features on the bottom. Now use small upholstery nails to attach them to the fur pants section, making sure the fur covers right down to the edge of the foot. Add any stuffing needed to make them fill out past the man's natural foot size and keep his feet from sliding forward when he walked.

It's filming day, our chubby man is changing his pants behind the bush and now needs some glue/cement on his back, after the glue is applied he slides the shirt section on and we have to press the back to mold to his features. Snap everything around leg and waste sections securely. Now he puts on the hood section and we make sure the snaps are all tight and glue the lower face and neck sections as needed.

ACTION! Make sure the camera jiggles around some and always slightly out of focus or just plain blurry.

What would any of you use differently? It's all for fun, please don't take this very seriously.

Edited by iWitness
  • Like 1

I'd like a little more muscle definition. Some pads for biceps and quadriceps would look good. Tape them on only one side so they'll move freely inside the costume while the actor moves.

You have to duplicate Patty's drooping gait. Yes, it makes no sense that an animal would walk like that but everyone knows that's how Bigfoot walks. If you have the actor walk like a human, people will realize it's a human.

It would be nice to have Bigfoot react to the people. Patty just twisted her body back to look at them and kept on stomping. C'mon, you're the most elusive creature in the animal kingdom... pick up the pace if you're being observed!

Also, for friggin' sake, make sure the bottoms of the feet aren't white. Make sure they're black so no details of the feet can be seen, i.e. "Where are the toes?"

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with all that.

Adobe AfterEffects baby.. :clap:

• Like 1

Could use old hot water bottles, the rubber kind, contact cemented to the inside goat skin filled enough to look like muscles bulging on the back of the legs...to transfer the man's leg muscle movements to the suit, then just use cotton stuffing above and below to even up the look, keep the skin tight and hide the top of the water bottle..

Edited by iWitness

I wouldn't bother with all that.

Adobe AfterEffects baby.. :clap:

I haven't seen a CGI Bigfoot that didn't look like it came out of a video game.

Could use old hot water bottles, the rubber kind contact cemented to the inside goat skin filled enough to look like muscles bulging on the back of the legs...to transfer the man's leg muscle movements to the suit, then just use cotton stuffing above and below to even up the look and keep the skin tight and hide the top of the water bottle..

I don't think that would look right. As the actor's muscle contracts, the water would slosh to the sides leaving bulges. It would end up looking more like fat than muscle.

It would be cool to have something elastic which would form to the actor's muscles and contract with them. Maybe thin rubber over cotton?

• Like 1

With the fur over it and no longer than the film is, distance and the poor focus. Not sure if my ideas would look good or not. Since people are talking about the suit so much I was having fun with the idea of what members here might use if we was to hoax Patterson's Bigfoot as a team effort.

Have fun with the ideas for a change.

Edited by iWitness

I am not that good at arts and craft, but I have got a an old camera which takes blurry pictures which all bigfoot entrepreneurs would die for.

So you give me the nod and I will shoot.

• Like 1

Don't take blurry footage! That would put it in the same category as every other crappy Bigfoot video. The world doesn't need another one of those.

If you must hide details, put a fog filter on the lens and shoot it in the morning and claim it was still cold and misty. When hoaxing, start with the video, study it carefully, and then form an airtight story around it.

Aim higher, folks. You want to make the best Bigfoot suit and take the most convincing footage since the Patterson footage, which would make it the most convincing footage ever.

• Like 2

Why fake a Bigfoot? Everyone is doing that these days. It's become fairly cliché now.

• Like 3

Why fake a Bigfoot? Everyone is doing that these days. It's become fairly cliché now.

To fake the best Bigfoot, of course! I'm getting tired of that lousy Patterson footage decade after decade. Someone needs to top it with something more convincing.

• Like 2

As a fat and hairy 'merican I am forever getting shot with tranquilizing darts by over anxious Bigfoot hunters.

• Like 3

They should be better at making teepees. No dead and rotting wood though. They should use only live, fresh oak which they obviously snapped off trees with their powerful hands.

• Like 4

As a fat and hairy 'merican I am forever getting shot with tranquilizing darts by over anxious Bigfoot hunters.

Wear a Hawaiian shirt. Bigfoot never wears Hawaiian shirts.

• Like 3

Now Bigfeet will always wear Hawaiian shirts.

• Like 2

Now Bigfeet will always wear Hawaiian shirts.

Bigfoot never listens to me. I've gone on hundreds of camping trips and the guy has never shown up.

• Like 2

The funny thing is, as a part of my midlife crisis plan, I decided to wear Hawaiian shirts.

• Like 2

Thanks all, this thread is funnier than I expected.

• Like 1

Big feet, big hands?

Uh oh. Better stop before it becomes R-rated.

• Like 1

We should organize a UM Forum Bigfoot faking contest! :D Winner gets to be named the Major Bigfootologist of UM.

• Like 1

Don't take blurry footage! That would put it in the same category as every other crappy Bigfoot video. The world doesn't need another one of those.

If you must hide details, put a fog filter on the lens and shoot it in the morning and claim it was still cold and misty. When hoaxing, start with the video, study it carefully, and then form an airtight story around it.

Aim higher, folks. You want to make the best Bigfoot suit and take the most convincing footage since the Patterson footage, which would make it the most convincing footage ever.

Yeah, make it so realistic, nobody will believe it. Sounds illogical, but that's how it would work out. Too good to be true.
  • Like 1

I'll need to consult with a Greek friend who can give us an appropriate scientific-sounding name for Bigfoot. But not at nearly 2AM. LOL.

PS: Never mind, we have Google translate: "Megalopodi" That just doesn't have a certain ring to it.

Another PS: Latin might give us "Magnapede"! I say that's better! :)

Edited by SaraT

Yeah, make it so realistic, nobody will believe it. Sounds illogical, but that's how it would work out. Too good to be true.

At worst some would call it the best Bigfoot hoax ever. I would love to earn that title considering that Bigfoot fans are still clutching every frame of the Patterson footage from 45 years ago.

• Like 1