Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#166    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,985 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

learn this before teaching that .... or anything else

and what we're advocating here is such ...

Posted Image

how is this bullying , I wonder ?

Edited by third_eye, 27 May 2013 - 02:26 PM.

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#167    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

My only gripe was about this:  Does anyone remember the urban legend about Tommy Hilfiger saying on the Oprah Show that his clothes was never intended for minorities to wear?  Does anybody see this as hurtful?  Discriminatory?  Even though it was proven as an urban legend, the Tommy Hilfiger brand suffered some backlash for this as word went around.  How is what the CEO of A&F said any different than what the urban legend about Tommy Hilfiger said?  I even remember getting this email way back in the mid-90's, in fact...

http://urbanlegends....my_hilfiger.htm

#168    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

What CEO Jeffries has stated from his own mouth, is that he is not simply selling clothes of a specific type/size. He is actively seeking to exclude specific groups from his products. And THAT is what is wrong with him.

Edited by DieChecker, 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#169    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,513 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

What CEO Jeffries has stated from his own mouth, is that he is not simply selling clothes of a specific type/size. He is actively seeking to exclude specific groups from his products. And THAT is what is wrong with him.

he made of said it wrong, but they are not in business to exclude certain groups, they are trying to market to certain groups.    Nothing wrong with the business strategy.   It's wrong that he said it like he did.

#170    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

A teen group in Chicago cancelled their protest of A&F after Jeffries apologize but are still deciding to rally for new issues, against bullying and for self-acceptance. They will also meet with A&F officials and try to get them on board. Good luck to them!!! Sounds like a good idea.

Last week, Jeffries issued a statement that while his 2006 comments were “taken out of context, I sincerely regret that my choice of words was interpreted in a manner that has caused offense.” He went on to defend his company’s policy of marketing to a particular segment of customers — calling A&F an “aspirational brand” — but added that the retailer is dedicated to “diversity and inclusion.”

In response, Linstrom and her fellow organizers canceled protests scheduled for Wednesday in Columbus. Instead, she said that she and other protesters were scheduled to meet with A&F executives there that same day.

Linstrom said, “We want to set up an anti-bullying campaign, and I could possibly be a spokesperson, and go around to high schools and middle schools and maybe even elementary schools and preach self-acceptance and self-love.

We’ve had assemblies about anti-bullying and treating people the way you want to be treated, but the core root of bullying is someone feeling bad about themselves and having to put someone else down to make themselves feel better,” she said.

Linstrom said she hopes A&F will support a campaign like this.

Fitch, Please! Teen Reporters Sound Off On Abercrombie & Fitch Controversy

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 28 May 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#171    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

✻ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Eʟsᴀ

• 8,396 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Posted Image

#172    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostPrincess Serenity, on 30 May 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

:w00t:  That's funny...

#173    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

✻ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Eʟsᴀ

• 8,396 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostKowalski, on 30 May 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

That's funny...

It is and yet so perfect. I posted it on my tumblr blog. I had to share it here.

#174    sparkarov

sparkarov

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

I've never liked A&F's clothes. I'm not "fat". They're just douchey looking! There was a phase when my friends only shopped religiously at Hollister and A&F. I never got the appeal, plus it was a little to expensive for me as a kid. I love clothes, but their clothes were all the same and I still don't like them. But it's clear when you walk in there that that's who they're marketing. Their clothes are tiny.

I can also smell those damn stores from a mile away--and it makes me want to run, not enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users