Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Eridanus Void: Is It a Monster Black Hole

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

www.dailygalaxy.com said:

The apparent development of a large void of some billion light-years in diameter in the Constellation Eridanus appears to be improbable given current cosmological models. A radical and controversial theory proposes that it is a "universe-in-mass black hole" rather than hypothetical dark matter responsible for the phenomenon described as the expanding-accelerating universe. This radical theory of cosmology suggests that stars at the edge of the Hubble length universe are being consumed by a universe-in-mass black hole.

In August of 2007, astronomers at the University of Minnesota located a gigantic hole in the universe.

Posted Image Read more...
A radical and controversial theory indeed,

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,804 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

Wow, cool find, TFF. Looks like something out of Star Trek.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 25 May 2010 - 03:23 PM, said:

Wow, cool find, TFF. Looks like something out of Star Trek.

What makes me wonder about is if this theory turns out to be a fact then what is feeding a black hole one billion LY accross? I mean a billion light years is a mind blowing estimate so that leads me to wonder what this monster could it be possibly eating.

IDK But it is an interesting theory and its also very controversial,

Just imagine what man will see once the WEBB telescope is sent up to replace hubble,

#4    Torgo

Torgo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

• I aM tOrGo... I tAkE cArE oF tHe PlAcE wHiLe ThE mAsTeR iS aWaY...

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Wouldn't that be far more obvious?  As in, galaxies within a few schwartzchild radii of such an object would be moving at appreciable fractions of lightspeed, either inwards from gravity or sideways to avoid being eaten.  Not to mention the gravitational lensing it would cause... Not buying it, at least not in the form the popular article states.  Especially considering the incredibly inaccurate assesment of VIRGOHI21 in the article as having "created the virgo cluster".

* EDIT *  Having now looked at the article at the Journal of Cosmology, I would not trust that source very much at all.  They seem to suffer from several gross misapprehensions about the big bang theory and the observations that support an accelerating universe...

Edited by Torgo, 25 May 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#5    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

I agree with Torgo.

Also, note how none of the real scientists say it is a ``black hole''.

Lawrence Rudnick's 2007 paper on the subject (published in ApJ 671 40, preprint available from arXiv) never once mentions the possibility of the observed void being a black hole.

I think the author of the article in The Daily Galaxy is either ignorantly or willfully misinterpreting the word `void' as `black hole' to spin his own pet theories.

#6    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

View PostTorgo, on 25 May 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

Wouldn't that be far more obvious?  As in, galaxies within a few schwartzchild radii of such an object would be moving at appreciable fractions of lightspeed, either inwards from gravity or sideways to avoid being eaten.  Not to mention the gravitational lensing it would cause... Not buying it, at least not in the form the popular article states.  Especially considering the incredibly inaccurate assesment of VIRGOHI21 in the article as having "created the virgo cluster".

* EDIT *  Having now looked at the article at the Journal of Cosmology, I would not trust that source very much at all.  They seem to suffer from several gross misapprehensions about the big bang theory and the observations that support an accelerating universe...

sepulchrave
I agree with Torgo.

Also, note how none of the real scientists say it is a ``black hole''.

Lawrence Rudnick's 2007 paper on the subject (published in ApJ 671 40, preprint available from arXiv) never once mentions the possibility of the observed void being a black hole.

I think the author of the article in The Daily Galaxy is either ignorantly or willfully misinterpreting the word `void' as `black hole' to spin his own pet theories.

Yes, can not argue that point guys, Totally agree with you both, Seems the daily galaxy is an on the fringe news site to me,

#7    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,763 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

This concept makes Unicron devouring planets a joke.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#8    kobolds

kobolds

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

not possible with such size if we calculate the amount of energy that it required. but then who know?

#9    Davedini

Davedini

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

• The Kepler Telescope is my new hero!

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

I like how they explained Dark Energy very interesting but i agree with what was said above

The world is about to change...

#10    Soupy

Soupy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:24 AM

i find this theory absolutely terrifying

#11    Astute One

Astute One

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:25 AM

It's God's house. The place where He keeps the holographic projector.  I hope He doesn't trip over the cord and pull the plug.

#12    pixiii

pixiii

Psychic Spy

• 2,039 posts

• Patefacio vestri mens quod praesumo somnio...
    Open your mind and dare to dream...

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:12 AM

A bit scary indeed. :unsure2:

#13    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:28 AM

View Postpixiii, on 27 May 2010 - 04:12 AM, said:

A bit scary indeed. :unsure2:
Not really. If there were a black hole a billion light years across (there isn't, see above) you probably wouldn't notice if the Solar system fell into it.

The event horizon of very very large black holes is simply a point of no return; you can't get back out of it but the space-time curvature is too gradual to tear you to pieces.

If you fell across the horizon of a black hole a billion light years across it would take millions (if not billions) of years until you were crushed.

#14    Drj312

Drj312

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:33 AM

View Postsepulchrave, on 27 May 2010 - 04:28 AM, said:

Not really. If there were a black hole a billion light years across (there isn't, see above) you probably wouldn't notice if the Solar system fell into it.

The event horizon of very very large black holes is simply a point of no return; you can't get back out of it but the space-time curvature is too gradual to tear you to pieces.

If you fell across the horizon of a black hole a billion light years across it would take millions (if not billions) of years until you were crushed.
have you read The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind? I recommend to anyone here who is interested in black holes. He talks about what you said in your post, for example

#15    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

View PostDrj312, on 27 May 2010 - 04:33 AM, said:

have you read The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind?

No, I haven't. I'll have to check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users