Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have Cryptozoology ever done anything useful?

Vidgange

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are cryptozoologists relevent?

• Yes, very much so!
    • Naaaw, they ain't done sh!t
    • Without them we'd forget all those cryptids out there!
    • A crypto-who??

It's been a long time since I made a thread in these forums, but I thought it was about time I became more active here again.

So, lately I've been watching documentaries (or rather, mockumentaries in certain cases) about cryptids. I've been watching stuff about Bigfoot, Loch Ness, Orang Pandek and the likes, and it suddenly struck me; what have cryptozoologists contributed with to science? There's always a self proclaimed cryptozoologist going after Mokele Mbembe or the Ropen in these expeditions, but they never find anything - do they? Meanwhile "real" scientists and zoologists travel across the world and discovering new species all the time.

So now I'm wondering what use crypto-hunters really are for. I'd like to hear what y'all think about this. Do we need cryptozoologists? Are they contributing in any way?

I'm not bashing on cryptozoologists, mind you. I'm just curious as to what use they are. The one thing that springs to my mind is that they help certain cryptids from falling out of peoples memories - but I don't know whether or not that's an entirely good thing...

Nothing I've heard of.

The Cryptozoology episode of Penn & Tellers: Bullsh!t sums the whole thing up. Good episode.

Small clip from the episode:

Full episode:

http://youtu.be/Qo10o2GPV6Q

They also make their own dodgy bigfoot video in the episode and upload it to the internet. Fools a lot of people, many 'experts' contact them back saying "It's amazing footage!" lol

• Like 2

I think that anyone out looking for something has a shot at contributing to science in some way or another. So maybe you don't find the cryptid in question, but you may come across a new animal, plant, ancient ruin, shipwreck, etc. And you may inspire others to become scientists of some sort or another. It's all good in my book.

I kind of agree with jackball74, however most of the guy out there are just looking to score big bucks. You saw that Penn and Teller got all sorts of responses and a couple of them were offering to help them make some money. Now, if you stop and take a good look at the footage they shot then you'll recognize that it looks like a whole lot of footage on the web. Now just a couple that look sort of the same but look almost exactly like it. None of this is proof of anything other than I got a picture of something, that's it you got a picture, nothing more, nothing less.

I recall a number of years ago a couple of my friends and I were talking and we wondered about doing the same thing, obviously we never followed through, but we thought about it.

Giant squid use to be sort of in that group as an unknown, but there has always been real evidence of them. It wasn't until a few years back that some Japanese scientist actually got footage of one in the wild that and some fishermen caught one that put it over the top.

Edited by keninsc

The silverbacked gorilla was a cryptid at one time. After rumors of it's existence there were multiple searches funded by the british governement and it took 50 years to verify it's existence so absolutely crypto zoology is legitimate.

• Like 5

The silverbacked gorilla was a cryptid at one time. After rumors of it's existence there were multiple searches funded by the british governement and it took 50 years to verify it's existence so absolutely crypto zoology is legitimate.

Agreed. And Giant Panda's :tsu:

• Like 2

Cryptozoologists may not have had much success in classifying the unproven beasts they are in search of but they have achieved a lot. The Crytpo industry must create thousands of jobs across the Globe, in Media and Tourism and generate a lot in merchandise. This must keep a good few families above the breadline...

So there you have it, they have not found Squatch or Nessie, but they have helped out the economy in some areas...

• Like 1

I think are are a joke. No real proof has been found. The real joke is Chris Moneymaker. Look at the last name moneymaker that i what he is all about. None of the shows have ever showen a cypto. Just so called signs and some sounds.

I think are are a joke. No real proof has been found. The real joke is Chris Moneymaker. Look at the last name moneymaker that i what he is all about. None of the shows have ever showen a cypto. Just so called signs and some sounds.

I think you are confusing a Squatch Seeker with a Poker Player....

Matt Moneymaker is the man you are after. :)

I think they are related though and Moneymaker is actually their real surname.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

if it wasn't for Cryptozoology we'd not have gotten stuff like Hellboy, Fringe, Sanctuary.... so I'd say yes it's contributed something - fodder for excellent TV shows.

• Like 3

These guys dont actually get paid to do this or do they??

Yeah, have a read of this thread..

http://www.yowiehunt...php?f=45&t=3586

we had a couple of sightings to report, so submitted one up to see how it was managed. It was never made public. In fact, we could only find a handful for our entire state area over a number of years. Where were all the other reported sightings? Yet when we questioned it, I was just hammered to supply the other siting we hadn't posted yet.

I realised their site wasn't about sharing all sightings openly,it was about using the public as spotters for them to keep the information just for themselves.

At the end of the thread the self styled cryptozoologist made the most condescending and arrogant dump on us, closed the thread, and locked and terminated our account for daring to question them. Certainly put us of pursuing any involvement with them.

So sad to hear that

we had a couple of sightings to report, so submitted one up to see how it was managed. It was never made public. In fact, we could only find a handful for our entire state area over a number of years. Where were all the other reported sightings? Yet when we questioned it, I was just hammered to supply the other siting we hadn't posted yet.

I realised their site wasn't about sharing all sightings openly,it was about using the public as spotters for them to keep the information just for themselves.

At the end of the thread the self styled cryptozoologist made the most condescending and arrogant dump on us, closed the thread, and locked and terminated our account for daring to question them. Certainly put us of pursuing any involvement with them.

So sad to hear that

So now I'm wondering what use crypto-hunters really are for. I'd like to hear what y'all think about this. Do we need cryptozoologists? Are they contributing in any way?

Their pretty much useless.

Not one self proclaimed "cryptozoologist has ever discovered anything...not even a real animal.

edit to say; I guess they do have some limited entertainment value, but not much.

Edited by evancj
  • Like 2

I think that anyone out looking for something has a shot at contributing to science in some way or another. So maybe you don't find the cryptid in question, but you may come across a new animal, plant, ancient ruin, shipwreck, etc. And you may inspire others to become scientists of some sort or another. It's all good in my book.

I love this post. In essence Cryptozoologists contribute to science only by pure accident.....when they discover the remains of things that actually exist. Sounds about right. :lol:

I think that I agree that the major contribution of cryptozoology is entertainment. Possibly some minor economic benefits, and some minor scientific benefits. Probably hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars are spent each year for certain cryptids by tourism each year. Nessie and others are big draws. :innocent: There is also publishing... lots of stupid books have been made, employing authors and book printers. :yes:

Today's cryptid may be tomorrow's legitimate species. Think about it - if alligators had never been discovered and one day someone got a picture of one in some remote area, we would be referring to it as a dragon.

Today's cryptid may be tomorrow's legitimate species. Think about it - if alligators had never been discovered and one day someone got a picture of one in some remote area, we would be referring to it as a dragon.

I dont think we would be calling it a dragon in this day and age, maybe a couple of centuries in the past they may refer to it as a dragon but these days they would try and study it and learn all about it.

Do you want to simply report your sightings or would you like them to also be investigated?

Why not start a new thread here and post your reports? Otherwise, feel free to contact me by PM or email via my website (http://home.yowieocalypse.com/)...

I doubt it. What makes you think we would go all medieval all of the sudden? I think we would be referring to it as a some sort of crocodilian.

Hmm...I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Scientifically? That's up for debate and I don't really know the answer myself.

Entertainment? Definitely. All those TV shows and movies and whatnot.

Hmm...I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Scientifically? That's up for debate and I don't really know the answer myself.

Entertainment? Definitely. All those TV shows and movies and whatnot.

I agree

I love this post. In essence Cryptozoologists contribute to science only by pure accident.....when they discover the remains of things that actually exist. Sounds about right. :lol:

I thought it was funny too. But it is not accurate. I can not find record of a cryptozoologist ever discovering anything...on purpose or by accident. I guess that's why they just make crap up as they go along, if they didn't no one would ever pay attention to them.

• Like 1

I thought it was funny too. But it is not accurate. I can not find record of a cryptozoologist ever discovering anything...on purpose or by accident. I guess that's why they just make crap up as they go along, if they didn't no one would ever pay attention to them.

Lol that's kinda harsh

So you've never heard of the silver backed gorilla? Hmmmmm. To be fair when that was discovered there was probably no such word as cryprozoology, but in effect since the scientists who verified thier existence was searching for an animal that was not only just a rumor but had scientists scoff at the mention (800 pound ape??? ridiculous) they did serve the function, so you are demonstrably incorrect in your assumption that they've never discovered anything.