Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New voter I.D. laws

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostWickian, on 25 September 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

you pretty much have to have an I.D. of some kind),

NO. No you don't.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#17    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

View Postninjadude, on 26 September 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

NO. No you don't.
Correct - you don't.  UNLESS:
You want to drive
You want to rent a video
You want to check out a book from a library
You want to cash a check
You want to avoid breaking the law when being asked for ID in some States

In other words - you don't have to have an ID to breathe but to interact within our society on any level other than the poorest...you NEED some form of ID.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#18    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

If these people care so little about voting that the can't get a freaking ID to prove they are who they say they are maybe they shouldn't vote. If someone told me I had to buy a football helmet to wear when I went to vote I sure as hell would because I care about my right to vote. Like these people can't find some bleeding-heart liberal social worker to take them somewhere to get a ID? Heck they'll probably pay at least half the cost if they promise to vote for the current spender-in-chief. I can't believe anyone who votes would be against this because any act of voter fraud disenfrancises the system.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#19    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

Again, some people have never had a birth certificate (born in rural areas and/or thousands of miles away from where they are now), some people cannot physically go there, making one pay for a voter ID is a poll tax which is illegal. In the US, you are NOT required to produce papers (ID) like the Nazi's required.

Except, you need to be a US citizen to vote? no? I have no problem whatsoever with someone needing to show ID to prove who they are before they vote. In fact, frankly, it would be stupid not to have to show ID.

#20    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 26 September 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

Except, you need to be a US citizen to vote? no? I have no problem whatsoever with someone needing to show ID to prove who they are before they vote. In fact, frankly, it would be stupid not to have to show ID.

Which is normal in any country I know except some states in the US of A. But if the government wants you to have an ID with the exclusive use to vote the government should pay for it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#21    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

I still cant understand the problem the people from the USA have with national IDs. Here you have your ID (the ones you get when you are a child is free, later you have to pay for the one when you are of legal age and if you lost yours), and you use it to prove your identity, and to vote, to show to the police or any other civil authority, to make shopping with a credit card, etc.

Im an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostMekorig, on 26 September 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

I still cant understand the problem the people from the USA have with national IDs. Here you have your ID (the ones you get when you are a child is free, later you have to pay for the one when you are of legal age and if you lost yours), and you use it to prove your identity, and to vote, to show to the police or any other civil authority, to make shopping with a credit card, etc.

But see, that puts you under government control...like the mark of the beast! :devil:

That is because they are afraid that the government could trace them, being totally unaware of the fact that they all have a unique identification number already by which they can be found, it is called the Social Security Number.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

The Democrats are afriad they are going to lose a few votes because they say people can't always get them. The states that have gone to photo voter ID have been providing them for free and even giving them free transportation to get them. *shrugs*

#24    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 September 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

The Democrats are afriad they are going to lose a few votes because they say people can't always get them. The states that have gone to photo voter ID have been providing them for free and even giving them free transportation to get them. *shrugs*

Which negates every arguement gainst id's. You say it's free, they say what about a ride? You say they got a ride, they say you're a nazi. You say no I'm not, they scream it's not fair like a five year old. It's very simple. You must have an id and every accomodation will be made for you to get one free of all charges except a little bit of your time. Why is that still a problem? The libs want to bend the constitution in every way possible in order to "keep up with the times" except this issue and this isn't even screwing with the constitution so long as it's all free. So in this case I agree that we should keep up with the times.

Posted Image

#25    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'd hate to see anyone not allowed to vote who was eligible.

But, ultimately, the individual has to accept some form of responsibility.  If they feel 'the man' is trying to cause them not to vote, then they need to demand the right, and figure out how to get it done.

If 10,000,000 latinos are being disenfranchised, it's thier own fault.    Granted, they shouldn't have to do this, but the alternative is to just roll over and cry about it...

If the laws suck, then be resourceful, and get them changed.   But, until then, pull up the britches and make sure you are allowed to give your voice.

#26    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

View Postand then, on 26 September 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

Correct - you don't.  UNLESS:
You want to drive
You want to rent a video
You want to check out a book from a library
You want to cash a check
You want to avoid breaking the law when being asked for ID in some States

In other words - you don't have to have an ID to breathe but to interact within our society on any level other than the poorest...you NEED some form of ID.

all true. Libraries are dying. Checks? when was the last time you actually wrote a check! Some states are just wrong. It will get changed someday. Rent a video? Not needed for Netflix, cable on-demand, hulu and a bunch of other online rentals. Rent video. Blockbuster went under. You probably still have a "vcr". Lastly, many people don't drive. That doesn't mean that don't "interact" with society. They use public transportation or don't feel the need to travel.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#27    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 26 September 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

If these people care so little about voting that the can't get a freaking ID to prove they are who they say they are maybe they shouldn't vote.

No the fact is we do care. Very much about our freedoms. And one of them is that you don't need that.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#28    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,047 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Because here you don't have to prove your identity. We don't have to carry papers.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#29    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

View Postjugoso, on 25 September 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Totally disagree. If the person has served their sentence they should not lose their right to vote for the rest of their life IMO.

Voting is both a fundamental right and a civic duty. However there remains one significant blanket barrier to the franchise: 5.85 million American citizens are not allowed to vote because of a criminal conviction. As many as 4.4 million of these people live, work, and raise families in our communities, but because of a conviction in their past they are still denied the right to vote.
Felony disenfranchisement laws in the United States are deeply rooted in the troubled history of American race relations, and the disproportionate racial impact of these laws continues to this day. Nationwide, 13% of African-American men have lost the right to vote, a rate that is seven times the national average. Given current rates of incarceration, three in ten of the next generation of African-American men across the country can expect to lose the right to vote at some point in their lifetime.
http://www.brennance...inal_conviction
I was away from the thread awhile but want to answer this.  I ALSO think that when a person has been tried and convicted or admits guilt and serves the penalty then their right to vote should be restored unless the felony was vote fraud.

View Postninjadude, on 27 September 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Because here you don't have to prove your identity. We don't have to carry papers.
Yet.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#30    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

View Postninjadude, on 27 September 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

No the fact is we do care. Very much about our freedoms. And one of them is that you don't need that.

Voting is not a freedom it's a Right  just like driving, legally owning a fire arm, buying a house, opening a bank account, cashing your goverment assistance check(but since we see who complains when you bring this up maybe not), and any thing else you have to do with an ID.

though I view voting more as a duty just like owning and knowing how to use a firearm.

Edited by MiskatonicGrad, 27 September 2012 - 01:27 AM.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users