Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US challenges Japan to giant robot fight

OverSword

OH HELL YEAH!!!

WASHINGTON, July 2 (UPI) -- American robot engineering collective MegaBots, Inc. has officially challenged Japan to an epic robot duel.

A

, uploaded Tuesday ,calls on Suidobashi Heavy Industry of Japan to ready its giant robot, Kuratas, for combat against the American MegaBot Mark II. No word on Suidobashi's response has been made.

more here including video

• Like 1

Is there any chance of throwing some kind of giant squid-like creature into the mix?

That would be the bee's knees.

• Like 3

I'm sorry, did I just die and go to robot war heaven? Because this is the single greatest piece of news I have encountered in months.

:)

• Like 3

The video was a bit disappointing. I didn't expect Pacific Rim robots, but at least something like in Real Steel.

Almost reads as classic David and Goliath. The technology and precise accuracy of the "slinger" was often the determining factor in the success of an army.

How long do we have to wait for a battle of giant androids?

I would LOVE to see a 50 foot tall Mecha-Donald Trump go up against Mecha-Barbra Streisand in battle. Her mechanized version first appeared in an episode of "South Park."

This is on the level yes, not some sort of viral mocked-up stunt? There's a pair of teams really going to make this happen?

If so, bloody hell, a live action and bigger scale version of Robot Wars!

However, a word of paranoid caution ought to be made. Not too long back Stephen Hawking warned us about how artificial intelligence might take over. Here we are being shown two very big robots being made to "duke things out".

How long before we get these things built and then a man made humanoid tells us in a voice soundly a bit Germanic tells us: "He'll be back..."

THIS IS SO AWESOME

Dear Santa,

For over forty years you have forgotten to send me a Christmas present. Despite this I will forgive you and never ask you to send another present as long as I live if you give me a giant robot with over-sized paint-ball guns as a present this Christmas.

Leo.

• Like 2

I love all your comments!

As I was considering my own, well, all of you covered it!

Prediction:

The Japanese one will transform a bit, be flashy, and do all these other cool, showoff things.

The American one will blow it away in one shot.

USA! USA! USA!

• Like 2

Awesome! Please let it be real!

America beat Japan in a robot off... please, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Great and all but...anyone notice how it didn't move. It was always in one spot lol. Shame.

At the risk of simultaneously sounding like a kook AND a spoil sport, this whole USA v Asia fighting huge robots is just asking for trouble... lol.

If it is like US cars, it will break apart for no apparent reason, and the Jap one, will go on forever...

• Like 1

If it is like US cars, it will break apart for no apparent reason, and the Jap one, will go on forever...

Are you kidding? That American bot looks like it will take a serious beating, the Japanese one looks like it's a bit flimsy. To be fair I don't think the Japanese knew they were going to be challenged to a fight. At any rate, if team Japan accepts the challenge both teams have a year to negotiate fire power and armor specs, agree on scoring rules and modify their bots as necessary.

If they do a pay per view event with maybe some regular battle bot preliminary bouts this could be a huge success and the begging of a brand new gladiatorial sport. One can hope.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I'm all for an American bot taking on a Japanese bot, but the Japanese have been fascinated with this a bit longer I think. I would be like pitting the Power Rangers against Super Sentai. I would still love to see this battle, it reminds me of Real Steel or Big Hero 6.

I think the Japanese bot, is a generation ahead. The US bot looks like something Japan had 5 years go that shot tennis balls.

• Like 1

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/07/tech/giant-robot-fight-challenge-accepted/index.html

Response: Challenge Accepted...

"But come on guys, make it interesting! Just building something huge and sticking guns on it... it's... super-American."

Suggests America hardens the *&^% up and bring some bare metal melee combat.