Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Analytic Thinking Can Undermine Belief

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Analytical thinking is only antithetical to intutiive thinkers if their is enough established information to begin making comparisons between the different modes while also narrowing down the focus to one single concept such as religion.

A person who had more analytical thinking skills than all of us here but who lived thousands of years ago in a small village devoted to a goddess might just grow up to be the high priest.

Also as intuitive thinking is more researched it will also show how valuable it is in other arenas outside of religion, because it is.

A comparison would be to claim analytical thinking destroys romance. Those who never were fond of romance would cheer. Although for those in the middle of the road, who value both analytical thinking, but also, if they were single, want to meet someone, would it not make sense to use both?

I am also certain some of the best executives, like Steve Jobs, made use of both analytical thinking and intuition. DaVinci made use of both. Instead of favoring one over the other I ask the gods to bless me with both in spades!

Edited by Unseelie, 30 April 2012 - 07:25 AM.

#17    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Intuitive thinking is the ability to connect the dots to form a picture.
Analytical thinking examines the pictures that already exist.

When there is too much constant use of one process it impairs the ability of the other.
Too much analytical thinking would decreases perception which relies on intuitive thinking.

There is a black indistinct silhouette.

Someone with too much intuitive thinking creates an entire and compete image in their mind as to what it must be.
Someone with too much analytical thinking cannot even make a guess as to what it could possibly be.
Someone with balanced intuitive and analytical thinking links possibilities in their might as to what it might be.

Posted Image

#18    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Timonthy, on 29 April 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Logical isn't it? Obviously correlates with the studies that people who are religious are generally not as smart as those who aren't.

What would be the preferred method for measuring smartness?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#19    Bella-Angelique

Bella-Angelique

Caprica Six Cylon

• 7,174 posts

• There is more to learn

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

J. K., on 30 April 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

What would be the preferred method for measuring smartness?

Measuring both abilities to think.
Even then different occupations would regard different levels of ability as being of greater value to them.

All occupations would require some solid demonstrations of both to show the ability to produce for the field.
At the extremes of the thinking process spectrum they could end up with individuals that do nothing more than regurgitate memorized facts and can only reproduce the same results that have always been produced before, or they could end up with individuals that spend most of their time dreaming up one wild new idea after another without ever following through to see plans completed.

Edited by Bella-Angelique, 30 April 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Posted Image

#20    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Zaphod222, on 30 April 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

And what do you base that "experience" on? It seems to be "believing" in irrational and bizarre claims simply means that you suspend logical thinking... meaning that you suspend your intelligence.

You don´t really need to "experience" any believers to say that, it is simply in the definition.

I think to believe that the universe created itself out of nothing is irrational in the extreme and bizzare.. There are logical reasons for believing in God.  If you were as rational and intelligent as you say your are, then you would not need to be reminded of that fact.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#21    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bella-Angelique, on 30 April 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

When there is too much constant use of one process it impairs the ability of the other.
Too much analytical thinking would decreases perception which relies on intuitive thinking.

Someone with too much intuitive thinking creates an entire and compete image in their mind as to what it must be.
Someone with too much analytical thinking cannot even make a guess as to what it could possibly be.
Someone with balanced intuitive and analytical thinking links possibilities in their might as to what it might be.

:nw: :nw: :tsu: :clap: :nw:  well said.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#22    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,545 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Bella-Angelique, on 30 April 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

It's like the difference between "book smarts" and "street smarts". I don't care how much you think you know, if you don't have the presence of mind to be able maneuver in the real world you aren't going to last long. :tu:

#23    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,273 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Michelle, on 30 April 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

It's like the difference between "book smarts" and "street smarts". I don't care how much you think you know, if you don't have the presence of mind to be able maneuver in the real world you aren't going to last long. :tu:

I would take this one step further and suggest that 'book smarts" (education) can and do cultivate viable "street smarts" (common sense.)

I see them as working in tandem, for "a" best case scenario. Just my two cents.

#24    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,545 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Sherapy, on 02 May 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

I would take this one step further and suggest that 'book smarts" (education) can and do cultivate viable "street smarts" (common sense.)

I see them as working in tandem, for "a" best case scenario. Just my two cents.

It can, but not usually. Someone that has no experience with social dichotomies, and have only read it in books, become fodder.

I was raised in a bar and my parents took me around the world. That education doesn't even compare to the many books that I read.

Edited by Michelle, 02 May 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#25    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,273 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

Michelle, on 02 May 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

It can, but not usually. Someone that has no experience with social dichotomies, and have only read it in books, become fodder.

I was raised in a bar and my parents took me around the world. That education doesn't even compare to the many books that I read.

That is a very good point. I do agree if exposed to diversity, it would help a lot in adding to the depth of ones education.

Age appropriate of course and within reason.

Edited by Sherapy, 02 May 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#26    ToyToyZA

ToyToyZA

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• Live life without fear!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Analytical reasoning may have destroyed our perception of the universe.

If we adopt the “Holographic Universe” approach, there is no place for atheists.

“God” is the master programmer of our virtual universe.

Matter is an illusion...

#27    Erudite Celt

Erudite Celt

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Intuitive thinking is a great gift to those that really posses it. Most great discoveries made by garden shed boffin's and "fringe" engineers and scientists are driven by strong intuition.

#28    Sensible Logic

Sensible Logic

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

• If I alter the reality to fit the fantasy I can prove anything.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Analytical thinking may undermine belief but it can keep you from buying the Brooklyn Bridge from the smooth talking salesman at your door.

The sheer odds of a civilization advancing, developing space travel, deciding to search our little corner of the galaxy, arriving at just the right time and actually helping us is so huge, you would have a greater chance of winning several lotteries in a single year. - SensibleLogic

#29    Blue Star

Blue Star

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,808 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

'Analytic Thinking Can Undermine Belief'........

Surely this would depend on the belief?

#30    Opinionist

Opinionist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "Man invented everything, except invention itself."

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hello!

Edited by Opinionist, 06 September 2012 - 03:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users