Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gray Man Of Ben MacDhui

Loonboy

I read a story a few years ago and wondered if anyone has any more information on it.

In 1890 Professor Norman Collie climbed Ben MacDhui and visited the cairn on the plateau there. As he returned there was a heavy mist and he heard movements behind him, sort of a crunching in the gravel as if someone was walking to catch up with him. The odd thing was that the steps taken seemed to be three or four times the length of his.

He was terrified and fled in a panic down to Rothiermurchus Forest.

Another story links up with that one: A Dr A M Kellas and his brother Henry Kellas were chipping among the rocks on Ben MacDhui and they saw a giant figure approaching them. As it passed out of sight in a large dip, they fled. They told people they were convinced they were being chased by a giant.

There are other assorted stories relating to the mountain in which a 'singing' was heard and other people experienced 'deep depressions' while at certain locations there.

Any clues people?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• odinsupreme

• Althalus

• Kira

• 2 weeks later...

:)

I've read that the mountain has had a weird effect on certain people in specific locations: they feel overwhelmed by negative emotions (sadness, horror, depression) in a particular place, but when they move a few feet, they return to their equilibrium.

As far as other sightings of figures go, no I don't believe there have been sightings. Just more reports of being chased by things unseen. :o

There is something wrong in your post.. how can you be chased by the unseen. You haven't seen it so how do you know that it is chasing you? Maybe you heard or smelled something, but....::) Get my point?

Odin Supreme 8)

;D

There is nothing wrong in my post.

It is perfectly possible to be chased by something unseen if the thing that is unseen is making rather loud footsteps...

;)

• 7 months later...

I have just come accross another story of this:

On the desolate heights of the Cairngorms, especially around a cairn on Ben MacDhui, a hugh man in grey sometimes walks and terrifien climbers and ramblers who meet him, He is said to be nine or ten feet tall, to wear a high hat, and to have been seen in present century.

[blue]

Thanks Althalus. It's another corroborative piece which adds to the mystery, but who is this person/ghost?

If I was out hiking and saw somone grey and nine feet tall, I'd probably have a heart attack.

Yikes.

[/blue] :se

:s2 true I would be running the other way  :sj

• 2 years later...

i liv 10 miles away frm Ben McDhui and the Cairngorms an iv been up 2 the cairn emmm... 3 times an i ain't seen anythin

thers a place in Germany near the Black Forest wher the same thing happens - it turned out to be the shadow of yourself on the mist

I read a story a few years ago and wondered if anyone has any more information on it.

Go to the search engine and look for my thread on 'Scottish Yeti attack' from last month and Sera's on it from about a year back, there are also some others scattered around.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the top of 'Big Ben" four separate times. Once, I was there with a famous 'psychic' whom I cannot mention. This person felt a sense of extreme sorrow andl loss, followed by anger. We saw nothing, but my friend requested that we leave with much haste. On our flight out, we passed over MacDhui again. He felt the same sensation and became physically ill. He later told me that the sensation left him feeling like the 'presence' there was not one, but many. The spirits of ancient Highlanders????.............