Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

V-Tech Massacre Game

Shalott

This guy must have no conscience

Massacre game creator unrepentant

The Australian creator of a Virginia Tech massacre computer game says he won't take the game off the internet or apologise, even if he receives a US$3000 ($3600) ransom.

Western Sydney resident Ryan Lambourn, 21, posted the bloody online game, called V-Tech Rampage, on website newgrounds.com and his own homepage, googumproduce.com.

He has since posted a message on the websites, saying he will remove the game from the internet if he receives donations of US$2000, and will apologise for US$3000.

But Mr Lambourn told ninemsn that he had received no donations so far, and wouldn't be taking the game down anyway.

"(I have received) absolutely none. That's exactly why I put it there, because it would p*** everyone off," he said.

V-Tech Rampage lets the player simulate the path taken by Cho Seung-hui the morning he killed 32 people at Virginia Tech.

Victims can be heard screaming as they flee the gun-toting character past key shooting landmarks such as Norris Hall and the campus's postal office.

Mr Lambourn said he created the game because making people angry was "funny".

"They could be angry about a lot of things, but they choose to get angry about this," he said.

"I've done really controversial things before that didn't become very popular. These things are done every day. This one just took off."

When asked how he would feel if he upset the relatives and friends of those killed in the massacre, he said he "didn't want to touch" the subject.

"There are people who have already replied saying I'm related to such and such victim. I don't know how many of those are really real," he said.

The game's message boards have been flooded with notes of outrage, but a surprising number of people also expressed admiration for the game.

"This isn't about free speech and censorship or the political backlash over games like this (sic) . . . These people are angry about the complete lack of respect you have shown for those who are grieving," said one.

But another wrote: "Dude! Super cool. I love it how people are crying all over this game."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267689

Edited by n_a_t_a_l_i_e

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• my_psychosis

• coldethyl

• Bunny Munro

• R3LOAD

But what has he done wrong? There are thousands of violent games people play and buy all the time, and no one is up in arms about THOSE!!!

Oh he has every right to put up a game like that if he chooses to, I just wouldn't be able to do something like that so soon after the incident, not while people are still mourning their dead loved ones. These aren't imaginary characters you're shooting in a game, these are based on real people who died horrifically and painfully.

Looks like my the plans for my new major motion picture could be in trouble

linked-image

The reality is, if something receives the media attention that the Virginia Tech Shootings do they become subject to public commentary. The victims and families of victims need to stop being so self centered and thin skinned.

Edited by Affliction

Out of curiousity, you wouldn't care about something like this if a victim was a member of your family? Jokes and such are unavoidable, I've seen and heard plenty of them following major events such as this, but I don't think it's asking too much of people to be empathetic towards others directly involved in such an event. I accept that things like that game are out there, but it doesn't mean I have to act indifferent to them. I actually feel a bit sorry for people who do, but such is the world today :hmm:

Out of curiousity, you wouldn't care about something like this if a victim was a member of your family? Jokes and such are unavoidable, I've seen and heard plenty of them following major events such as this, but I don't think it's asking too much of people to be empathetic towards others directly involved in such an event. I accept that things like that game are out there, but it doesn't mean I have to act indifferent to them. I actually feel a bit sorry for people who do, but such is the world today :hmm:

Well, it may sadden and offend some people but the reality is, there are a lot of people such as myself who just plain don't care.

If it happened to one of my relatives I probably wouldn't be thrilled about it, but I certainly wouldn't whine and try and sew anyone. Once something has entered the realm of public opinion there is always going to be a side to which you disagree with and the only reasonable option is to accept that it's just the way some people feel about the event and their as entitled to their own feelings on the issue as anyone else is.

I doubt I would play this game myself, but I'll be damned if I'll support taking away people's right to play it just because some people have their trousers in a twist.

Edited by Affliction

i have to disagree with this game, mostly because it was based around a real life event, people are going to get offended by it, if you want to play a game similar, just get gta sa and be done with it if your that despret, also you can fly helicopters and planes it it:)

Well, it may sadden and offend some people but the reality is, there are a lot of people such as myself who just plain don't care.

If it happened to one of my relatives I probably wouldn't be thrilled about it, but I certainly wouldn't whine and try and sew anyone. Once something has entered the realm of public opinion there is always going to be a side to which you disagree with and the only reasonable option is to accept that it's just the way some people feel about the event and their as entitled to their own feelings on the issue as anyone else is.

I doubt I would play this game myself, but I'll be damned if I'll support taking away people's right to play it just because some people have their trousers in a twist.

And that's fair enough. Obviously there are people who see this game as humorous, some who just don't care, and some who see it as offensive. I'm just one of the latter, I think it's disrespectful. It's douchebags like the kid who said "Super cool. I love it how people are crying all over this game" that get to me the most though, I just can't comprehend how someone can find humor in another person's anguish. But it's just the way I am, obviously I don't expect people to see things the way I do.

Just out of interest, don't you think that it's better that people like the person you just mentioned have mediums where they can indulge in their blood lust without harming anyone? As it could be argued, that if you continually repress these urges, this person may end up doing something very similar to Seung-Hui Cho.

Edited by Affliction

i couldt help it,,,i played the game,,and the entire time i said man this is so wrong....but i did it anyway..in the article they left out the part where there is a music mix with some of the killers rant and raves mixed in with a techno beat,,,and if you go on a killing spree they cant go cho,,,the game is in poor taste,,but it is what it is

Just out of interest, don't you think that it's better that people like the person you just mentioned have mediums where they can indulge in their blood lust without harming anyone? As it could be argued, that if you continually repress these urges, this person may end up doing something very similar to Seung-Hui Cho.

That's a good point. I don't think that violent video games/music/movies intice people to do violent things (that's another issue all together that I don't wanna get into), I think violent games attract people with these violent urges, I've heard it argued before that they might see these games as 'practice'. And I don't mean everyone of course, I myself own the Silent Hill games which can be considered violent, and yeah I enjoy taking out the monsters. I'd rather people use games like that to get something out of their system instead of shooting characters based on actual people, one of whom actually used to chat in a fan forum I'm a member of. It just makes me feel uneasy, I can't help it.

I tell you something. If it was my child that had died in that shooting, I'd find the creator of that video game and kick his backside with a hammer and maybe a bat.

Then I'd make it into a video game.

It's sick and if you don't realize that, then you're sick too and that's all there is to it. If you don't care, there is something wrong with you. That is plain and simple. You don't try and profit off the misery of others.

Karma will get this guy in the end. I believe that.

I tell you something. If it was my child that had died in that shooting, I'd find the creator of that video game and kick his backside with a hammer and maybe a bat.

It's sick and if you don't realize that, then you're sick too and that's all there is to it. If you don't care, there is something wrong with you. That is plain and simple. You don't try and profit off the misery of others.

Definitely very sick...

I agree with freedom of speech, but when you use that freedom just to hurt others, then that freedom is not truly appreciated.

EDIT: I just went over to newground to see what it was all about, the game is not that good anyways. I am surprised it hasn't been blammed off newground yet though.

Edited by MR_MOE

I agree with freedom of speech, but when you use that freedom just to hurt others, then that freedom is not truly appreciated.

EDIT: I just went over to newground to see what it was all about, the game is not that good anyways. I am surprised it hasn't been blammed off newground yet though.

think about all the traffic that's probably coming to their site because of it... ($_$)

Edited by crtbud420

think about all the traffic that's probably coming to their site because of it... ($_$)

Nah, I go there daily anyways.

Nah, I go there daily anyways.

you don't think there are a lot of people who don't and heard about that game through some kind of media, then went to the site to see what this 'evil game' looks like? i might check it out due to curiousity, but probably not. i don't really care to give him the attention he's seeking. he even mentioned in the article how he has done stuff like this before to see people get angry and didn't really stir up any commotion.

just looking for his 15 minutes of fame and some people dumb enough to give him $3,000 instead of ignore him, imo.

Edited by crtbud420

you don't think there are a lot of people who don't and heard about that game through some kind of media, then went to the site to see what this 'evil game' looks like? i might check it out due to curiousity, but probably not. i don't really care to give him the attention he's seeking. he even mentioned in the article how he has done stuff like this before to see people get angry and didn't really stir up any commotion.

just looking for his 15 minutes of fame and some people dumb enough to give him $3,000 instead of ignore him, imo.

Your right, he gets a new hate comment every few seconds.

But what has he done wrong? There are thousands of violent games people play and buy all the time, and no one is up in arms about THOSE!!!

What has he done wrong? Are you kidding? Yes there are plenty of violent games out there but how many are based on a true horrific event?

And that's fair enough. Obviously there are people who see this game as humorous, some who just don't care, and some who see it as offensive. I'm just one of the latter, I think it's disrespectful. It's douchebags like the kid who said "Super cool. I love it how people are crying all over this game" that get to me the most though, I just can't comprehend how someone can find humor in another person's anguish. But it's just the way I am, obviously I don't expect people to see things the way I do.

I see it the way you do Natalie. I also can't comprehend how someone can find humor in this. :angry2:

Yes. It is sick and wrong on SO many levels. :angry2:

lol this is seriously funny n sad. you guys dont realize that many many more people get killed in iraq DAILY and they are making international blockbuster video games about that and no one minds? pitifull

What has he done wrong? Are you kidding? Yes there are plenty of violent games out there but how many are based on a true horrific event?

Well to be honest there are lots of WW2 games around and stuff.. landing on Omaha beach etc.. where you run around killing the Germans... and sometimes I wonder how they feel about that now. It's not quite the same of course but still. Anyway I played it last night just because I heard about it on the news and had to see what all the fuss was over.

And yeah good point about Iraq.. I see so many almost propaganda style games around now hey... they all came out in a hurry when that war started.

lol this is seriously funny n sad. you guys dont realize that many many more people get killed in iraq DAILY and they are making international blockbuster video games about that and no one minds? pitifull

Who says we dont realize this. I realize it. But they are not using actual people from Iraq now are they. Ive read alot of your post's and you are almost always rude and argumenitive. Why is that?

Well to be honest there are lots of WW2 games around and stuff.. landing on Omaha beach etc.. where you run around killing the Germans... and sometimes I wonder how they feel about that now. It's not quite the same of course but still.

I agree but like you said It's not the same thing.

Yeah actually my husband is active duty but he volunteered to do it. Big difference. Now, lets go on about the war because some people here actually have loved ones fighting in it.

Edited by coldethyl