Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Help me identify this thing

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#1    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:15 AM

I swore off UM, but now I'm back, because I've asked a million different people and none of us can figure out what this thing is.

I won't post pictures here, they're fairly disturbing, I'll email them to whoever wants to have a look. The pictures are after it has died, but while it was living I did get a good look at it, so while the pictures are not entirely good representations (given decomposition has begun), I do remember.

When I saw it first, yesterday, before I saw the paws, I assumed it was a rabid fox. It was breathing deeply and coughing, and couldn't stand.
Then I thought it was a fox that someone had spray painted, because its fur was matted and sticky and left a black residue on the ground.
We finally deducted that it got into a vehicle and got into some oil, and was possibly injured in the same vehicle or on the road.

It is *not* a fox, raccoon, skunk, opposum, cat, dog, or other native species to my area (south central Kentucky) that I can find via books and online catalogs -- UNLESS it is a deformed individual. I assume that it is young. What I did get to see of one eye it was lightly colored, possibly blue or a light green.

It is just smaller than a cat, probably a foot and a half from nose to flank. Tail is small, six inches, furry but not "bushy".
Head is small but has incredibly large, pointed, fox-like ears. Muzzle is somewhat short but also pointed, small canine teeth, extremely long whiskers.
Has monkey-like hands with short claws. Five toes on each limb, no pads. Fur stops above the wrist on the forelimb and above the knee on the hindlimb.
It's fur was entirely black (whether from the oil or not, we can't be for certain). The fur was also not very long, even being slicked down, the fur was shorter than a medium-furred cat.

Besides the paws, it had the exact body and head shape of a fox: There wasn't a lot of fur on the face, not a lot of cheek fluff like you'd see on a raccoon. The ears, I must really emphasize, were extremely large in relation to the head and pointed. The paws were like a raccoon's paws but completely void of fur.

Like I said, I'll email pictures, but I don't really want to post them here because they are kind of... gross.

We're taking pictures to a vet sometime this week and hope that they might be able to help. I buried the body so if a tissue sample was ever needed it's easily accessible.

Updated to include picture links:

http://i38.tinypic.com/143mdy0.jpg

Forelegs: http://i33.tinypic.com/330zll2.jpg

Hindlegs: http://i34.tinypic.com/2rc63ns.jpg

Edited by Saru, 26 August 2010 - 06:35 PM.
Added picture links

#2    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

email me.

#3    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:25 AM

lezodiackiller@hotmail.com

#4    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:53 AM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 26 August 2010 - 01:25 AM, said:

lezodiackiller@hotmail.com

Sent.

Just let me know if you would like more.

#5    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:54 AM

Email me via form or PM. I'm teaching summer camp now and I do have a wildlife biologist at my fingertips. Swede might know too.

Lapiche

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#6    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:57 AM

Hi Crow, thanks for the pics....hell i don't know what it is....looks like a dog or a wolf...man, i don't know....hopefully one of the crypto expert will answer to your very interesting topic. thanks again, if you have more send me more, why not.

#7    UltraThunderMan

UltraThunderMan

The Ultra One

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

It's the Wematanye.

#8    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

Sent to you also Piney, I hope that if you can't figure it out then you can get them to the biologist! If those don't do then I'll see if I've got anything else that might help.

#9    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,661 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

Send to me too please

#10    KRS-One

KRS-One

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

• This Machine Kills Fascists

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

Don't send it to me, because I'll offer you a logical explanation.  You don't want to hear about that though, otherwise you would have posted the pictures publicly for scrutiny.

#11    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

??? I didn't post them here because I don't want to offend anyone. Some of the pictures truly are disturbing; the face has fallen off and maggots are eating away at the eyes. If I were coming to a topic I wouldn't want that to be the first thing I saw just after breakfast. I've sent them to the three people that've posted -- if you don't want to offer an explanation, that's fine. But, if I didn't want a logical answer, then I certainly wouldn't have sent them to Piney. I have gotten a satisfactory answer from him, but I would like correlating answers to make the conclusion definitive. No need to be rude.

Edited by ebonycrow, 26 August 2010 - 11:41 AM.

#12    TinkyBlink

TinkyBlink

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

• "I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud."

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

KRS don't be rude. If you don't want the pictures don't post, you just want attention. Have you ever heard the saying 'if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say anything at all? Absolutely no need it being like that, reminds me of a little kid being a pain.
Could you send them to me please, I'll have a bash, doubt I'll be much good though, but I'll try!

#13    SCARLET1

SCARLET1

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

• Looking for my sanity....in the basement...

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hi ebonycrow! *waves*

Send them to me, too, please. I'm not exactly an "expert", but my fam and friends all come to me with questions about wildlife, so I might be able to help...Also, gross stuff doesn't squick me out very much...

Here's my email addy: scarletraven1000@gmail.com

#14    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Sent! Hope you guys can figure something out rofl.

#15    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

EC!!!!!!!!!!

*huge hugs*

Glad to see you!

I'll have hubby take a look.  

:)  Missed you!

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users