Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Real Abyss

bouncer

Yep, the man who wrote the film is now the man going to see it for real. Rather him than me frankly

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Earth's lost frontier is about to be explored firsthand after more than half a century. It's a mission to the deepest part of the ocean, so deep that the pressure is the equivalent of three SUVs sitting on your toe.

And it's being launched by the rich and famous.

In the next several days, James Cameron, the director of "Titanic," ''Avatar" and "The Abyss," plans to dive nearly seven miles down in a one-man lime green submarine that he helped design. The location is the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific.

http://news.yahoo.com/james-cameron-others-explore-real-abyss-143050929.html

Hope he gets back up nice and safe

Edited by bouncer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bouncer

• spud the mackem

• SewerRat

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

I hope he's successful and gets back safe. I get claustrophobic just thinking about it.

I hope he's successful and gets back safe. I get claustrophobic just thinking about it.

Me too, and this bit didnt give me much commfort either

"McLean said the 16,500 pounds-per-square inch pressure isn't bone-crushing, "it's obliterating." Cameron said if there were a leak, the pressure would crush him so fast he couldn't even cry out".

No, I couldn't do it, Id rather be a live coward - than a dead hero... and all that...

As someone with a horrible phobia of the ocean allow me to be the first to say :

DUDE'S GONNA GET EATEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

I wonder what he might find there.

hopefully the insight into another cracking film!

But who knows? Odd looking critters for sure... scary stuff too...

or maybe..

an alien base!!!!!

James Cameron is the man for this, but it's pretty terrifying to think about. I think this is even more dangerous than space travel. Still tho, I could die a happy man if the director of "Aliens" and "The Abyss" were to film a sea monster in real life. :w00t:

Me too, and this bit didnt give me much commfort either

"McLean said the 16,500 pounds-per-square inch pressure isn't bone-crushing, "it's obliterating." Cameron said if there were a leak, the pressure would crush him so fast he couldn't even cry out".

No, I couldn't do it, Id rather be a live coward - than a dead hero... and all that...

I guess some people really do thrive under pressure :w00t: . Personally, it would remind me too much of that old "buried alive" sensation, a single man sub at that depth? Just sitting patiently to decompress on the way up would have me clawing at the walls.

The lengths some men have to go to to get some peace and quiet are quite remarkable.

He's a brave guy that's all i can say...

He's a brave guy that's all i can say...

Or crazy.

Both types make the world go 'round.

Or crazy.

Both types make the world go 'round.

Yeh but either way, lets hope he gets back up ok, coz then Branson wants to do it too!

I guess when you have all that money, trivial experiences just dont cut it!

A colony of Hyraxes...

Edited by BrianPotter

Makes me shudder... Never know what's going to bump into your craft down there :unsure:

Makes me shudder... Never know what's going to bump into your craft down there :unsure:

me too, I was gonna say no-one can hear you scream down there either, but doubtless he will have comms!....Besides even with comms he will still sound like a chipmunk on helium with the gas he will be breathing! But no-one can help him if it all goes tits-up..

see funny vid:

I still tease myself he may come across something truly mind blowing tho

Edited by bouncer

What a tremendous role model; this is the essence of humanity. To go to the extreme, explore, and survive as a species. And, perhaps why NASA has failed by so diminishing the notion that it's about moving us, as humans, to the forefront of the adventure, not the robots.

Yes indeed He`s a very important leader in our world today,We need to demand all our children try and grow up with such dreams and curiosity !

NASA can re-gain its lead in exploration . Remember One more penny towards there budget and we would be on Mars in Five years !

A colony of Hyraxes...

Oh heck no, you did not just say that :w00t:

Yes indeed He`s a very important leader in our world today,We need to demand all our children try and grow up with such dreams and curiosity !

NASA can re-gain its lead in exploration . Remember One more penny towards there budget and we would be on Mars in Five years !

I have a whole bunch of pennies, let's do this! :tu:

Oh heck no, you did not just say that :w00t:

hehehe, yeh but if the pressure down there can crush a leaky sub and the driver with all that incredible force, then what 'really' can be living right down there?

snip( McLean said the 16,500 pounds-per-square inch pressure isn't bone-crushing, "it's obliterating." Cameron said if there were a leak, the pressure would crush him so fast he couldn't even cry out").

'Some thingys' no doubt could live down there, but lets wait and see! I personally dont expect many critters, Im just hoping they find some other WOW stuff!

Edited by bouncer

@Bouncer He won't be breathing helium. He wil be in a very strong submarine shell. His air will be the same as ours and hopefully remain at the same presssure as ours. If the hull splits there will be a 'waterclap' and the 16 tons per square inch outside pressure will flatten him like a kipper tie. Helium is of no use to him whatsoever.

@Bouncer He won't be breathing helium. He wil be in a very strong submarine shell. His air will be the same as ours and hopefully remain at the same presssure as ours. If the hull splits there will be a 'waterclap' and the 16 tons per square inch outside pressure will flatten him like a kipper tie. Helium is of no use to him whatsoever.

Thanks for pointing that out. Im no expert on the subject!

I hope he succeeds & gains lots of knowledge & photos for the world, good luck James.