Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria

Hasina

The storm clouds in Earth's atmosphere are filled with microbial life, according to a new study.

The research, published today (Jan. 23) in the journal PLoS One, revealed that hailstones drawn from storm clouds harbor several species of bacteria that tend to reside on plants, as well as thousands of organic compounds normally found in soil. Some of the bacterial species can seed the tiny ice crystals that lead to rain, suggesting they play a role in causing rain.

"Those storm clouds are quite violent phenomena," said study co-author Tina Santl Temkiv, an environmental chemist at Aarhus University in Denmark. "They are sucking huge amounts of air from under the clouds, and that's how the bacteria probably got into the cloud."

Source: http://www.livescien...orm-clouds.html

Hasina you just TOTALLY FREAKED OUT everyone with a germ phobia...the sky is fallin' the sky is fallin' :w00t:

• Like 4

The storm clouds in Earth's atmosphere are filled with microbial life, according to a new study.

The research, published today (Jan. 23) in the journal PLoS One, revealed that hailstones drawn from storm clouds harbor several species of bacteria that tend to reside on plants, as well as thousands of organic compounds normally found in soil. Some of the bacterial species can seed the tiny ice crystals that lead to rain, suggesting they play a role in causing rain.

"Those storm clouds are quite violent phenomena," said study co-author Tina Santl Temkiv, an environmental chemist at Aarhus University in Denmark. "They are sucking huge amounts of air from under the clouds, and that's how the bacteria probably got into the cloud."

Source: http://www.livescien...orm-clouds.html

...and all this time we thought rain was 'clean'.

• Like 1

Hasina you just TOTALLY FREAKED OUT everyone with a germ phobia...the sky is fallin' the sky is fallin' :w00t:

That's my job, brief rush of a panic with a catchy headline, followed by soothing facts.

The soothing facts? I guess they're harmless. :3

I need to show this to one of my friends,one of the biggest purell addicts alive hahaha!

I'm so disappointed with LiveScience, they have made it look like its a hole new discovery.

First of all its been known for years there's microbial life in clouds. Its been common knowledge since the 1970's in atmospheric science.

Second of all this is actually one of my professors who did this study. She is about 6 months late with this "new" discovery. A team from (I think) the University of Colorado actually made the discovery that microbial life could produce rain.

• Like 1

I collect rain water cor magickal purposes ,and its always filthy .

There's lots of stuff in the sky on the way down . I would assume though ,given the height of the clouds and the cold ,not much could lice up there.

I would think the bacteria was dead ,and was possibly just sucked up there via things like evaporation etc .

I'm so disappointed with LiveScience, they have made it look like its a hole new discovery.

First of all its been known for years there's microbial life in clouds. Its been common knowledge since the 1970's in atmospheric science.

Second of all this is actually one of my professors who did this study. She is about 6 months late with this "new" discovery. A team from (I think) the University of Colorado actually made the discovery that microbial life could produce rain.

You mean this:

http://news.mongabay.com/2012/0904-amazon-rainfall.html

Nice! Now I can market a rain water purifyer. :w00t:

• Like 1

Phew... How lucky we discovered this after all these thousands of years of living in oblivion. But fear not, now we can live in the comfort of knowing. That was close... We almost didn't know for another 5000 years. Just think of the possible consequences...

• Like 1

Someone's been reading readers Digest, this story was in their mag a few months ago, but it's interesting none the less even though it's only half the story.

Someone's been reading readers Digest, this story was in their mag a few months ago, but it's interesting none the less even though it's only half the story.

Uh, what's the other half? Hopefully "good news"

Has anyone considered bacteria is not the worst thing in our rain clouds aka acid rain.

Phew... How lucky we discovered this after all these thousands of years of living in oblivion. But fear not, now we can live in the comfort of knowing. That was close... We almost didn't know for another 5000 years. Just think of the possible consequences...

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Maybe these microbacterial life grows up to be the sky serpents rarely seen in the sky! :D

Maybe these microbacterial life grows up to be the sky serpents rarely seen in the sky! :D

You just gave ammunition to sky serpent theorists. Shame on you. :w00t:

• Like 1

Score one for the Boys Back Home.

Let's go home.

I guess that would be you! Who reads Readers Digest anymore? I would...except they ruined the whole thing when they changed their format several years ago.

Yeah, my wife gets RD and occassionaly I do glance through it.

I usually dont read the articles, so I would be curious as to the "other half" of the story.