Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The cardboard bicycle

Still Waters

A bicycle made of cardboard may seem an unlikely form of transport - but one inventor claims to have developed one that costs just £10 to make.

By folding over sheets to double their strength, he claims the machine is durable, waterproof and costs very little to produce.

Everything apart from the brakes and chain is cardboard - including the seat.

http://www.dailymail...-ride-rain.html

It looks very uncomfortable to ride..

To be honest I don't like the concept..

Whatever happened to making things to last?

Sure it's mostly recycled materal, but that's no good if after 1-2 years it ends up in the trash.

A layer of resin doesn't mean it will last, it only means it will look good until a drop of water breaks through and ruins it.

$10 to make is absolute rubbish , the water proof coating would cost more than that let alone the chain & brakes , by the looks of it there would a fair few man hours spent making them also .

TiP.

$10 to make is absolute rubbish , the water proof coating would cost more than that let alone the chain & brakes , by the looks of it there would a fair few man hours spent making them also .

TiP.

That's because it is £10 to produce... that's $16.24 to you. ;)

The bike is not in production yet so this cost is probably a projection of an expected production cost. It will be tight though, they will have to come with some low quality parts and be mass produced to keep within the estimates.

I still want one.

Edited by Junior Chubb

That's because it is £10 to produce... that's $16.24 to you. ;)

The bike is not in production yet so this cost is probably a projection of an expected production cost. It will be tight though, they will have to come with some low quality parts and be mass produced to keep within the estimates.

I still want one.

I still stick by the fact that $16.24 is still not enough to buy the water proofing let alone the chemicals that the cardboard would need to pass through in the process .

Wohhaa back up.... I was presuming he was making them in the UK , hell if we get them made in China they will throw in a helmet, 10 pairs of bike pants and a real cheap puncture repair kit and you will still get change out of $10 :tu:

tiP.

Edited by tipotep
  • Like 1