Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Survival of the Cutest' Proves Darwin Right

Still Waters

Domestic dogs have followed their own evolutionary path, twisting Darwin's directive 'survival of the fittest' to their own needs -- and have proved him right in the process, according to a new study by biologists Chris Klingenberg, of The University of Manchester and Abby Drake, of the College of the Holy Cross in the US.

The study, published in The American Naturalist on January 20, 2010, compared the skull shapes of domestic dogs with those of different species across the order Carnivora, to which dogs belong along with cats, bears, weasels, civets and even seals and walruses.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cetacea

• Queen in the North

• Still Waters

• cluey

Top Posters In This Topic

is this survival of the fittest or cutest??????????? :unsure2:

If 'cute' makes a dog more 'fit' to survive among humans then it most surely applies. BTW, if a dog type is bred by humans then it goes a bit beyond just natural evolution IMO.

Not much need to prove Darwin right though, pretty sure that happened years ago.

is this survival of the fittest or cutest??????????? :unsure2:

In this case secondly the cutest and not the fittest, see link below.

If 'cute' makes a dog more 'fit' to survive among humans then it most surely applies. BTW, if a dog type is bred by humans then it goes a bit beyond just natural evolution IMO.

Very true, it's not natural selection anymore, we replace natural selection by our own criteria,it's artificial selection, natural selection is mainly out of the picture here. Dog no longer need to be 'fit', dogs no longer need to be fit, they don't even need to be able mate without assistance anymore, it's all about aesthetics...

In this case secondly the cutest and not the fittest, see link below.

Very true, it's not natural selection anymore, we replace natural selection by our own criteria,it's artificial selection, natural selection is mainly out of the picture here. Dog no longer need to be 'fit', dogs no longer need to be fit, they don't even need to be able mate without assistance anymore, it's all about aesthetics...

Yes, it's all about aesthetics, but I wish it was more about the dogs being healthy.

Surely a 'good' looking dog is a fit, healthy one, rather than one which meets the breed standard and is possibly in discomfort or even crippled because of it. *cough* Bulldogs *cough*

</mini rant>

I'm all for survival of the cutest. I'm not very tough but apparently it looks as if I have chance! Nice...

Yes, it's all about aesthetics, but I wish it was more about the dogs being healthy.

Surely a 'good' looking dog is a fit, healthy one, rather than one which meets the breed standard and is possibly in discomfort or even crippled because of it. *cough* Bulldogs *cough*

</mini rant>

Yeah but who would want a healthy dog that looks virtually the samewhen you can have an inbred animal that's going to suffer from a variety of genetical defects. Health defects is what makes kennel club accepted dogs so special after all! :rolleyes:

Yeah but who would want a healthy dog that looks virtually the samewhen you can have an inbred animal that's going to suffer from a variety of genetical defects. Health defects is what makes kennel club accepted dogs so special after all! :rolleyes:

Of course. Rule one. No inbreeding, no admittance. :rolleyes:

The lady from your article has it right:

'New dalmatian' supporter Julie Evans spoke of her anger at 'stupid breeders' in the Sunday Telegraph.

She said: 'I am very concerned about the health of the breed. It is heartbreaking to see these dogs suffer and the problems can lead to a terribly painful death.

'There are some stupid breeders out there who think it is all about breed purity. It is not. It is about the dog's health.