Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama 'backs assault weapons ban'

Still Waters

US President Barack Obama wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban in the wake of the mass killings in Newtown, Connecticut, his spokesman says.

Jay Carney said the president was "actively supportive" of a Democratic senator's plan to introduce a bill on the first day of the next Congress.

Mr Obama would also consider curbs on high-capacity ammunition and loopholes, Mr Carney said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20776784

• Like 2

US President Barack Obama wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban in the wake of the mass killings in Newtown, Connecticut, his spokesman says.

the shooting where assult rifles were not used.

• Like 6

So it's going to be a retro 90's assault weapons ban, again. Gotta love those politicians, they're great at BS'ing the people.

On Monday, the White House spokesman said that tighter gun control laws were only part of the answer to violence in the US, and that "no single action will fully address the problem".

Hmmm interesting, now why would they think that?

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 2

The Five-Seven holds 20 bullets in it's clip. If you reload it would be 40 shots.. What if the guy holds two Five-Sevens and has extended clips? Then there's automatic pistols with extended clips. It's easier for the Government and Police to stop. It won't matter to much for the people at school during the time. A lot of these guys can build bombs learning on the internet, television and school.

Edited by kampz
  • Like 2

So it's going to be a retro 90's assault weapons ban, again. Gotta love those politicians, they're great at BS'ing the people.

Hmmm interesting, now why would they think that?

It's just chatter.

And who said he didn't use an assault rifle . He did ,on the kids . He shot himself with the gun .

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57559416/semi-assault-rifle-used-during-sandy-hook-massacre/

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 2

I have a solution for all the world but nobody wants to listen to me.

OK, shoot.
  • Like 2

I have read that there was no demonstrable improvement in killings with such weapons or with number of shots fired in mass attacks after the ten year ban. If those numbers are correct then the net effect of this will be to make an 800 dollar rifle become a 2000 dollar rifle nearly overnight. In fact if I had a couple thousand to invest I'd buy 2 today. In 6 months I could probably triple or even quadruple the investment. Banning high capacity magazines will have the same effect BUT in the long run their ban might actually help matters. Making a shooter reload makes him a bit more vulnerable.

• Like 1

The AW was in the trunk of the car. How did he shoot it ?

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 2

damn media, now they changed the story

Yeah, they've reported alot of differing stories with this one.
  • Like 1

I don't think banning AW will help. More attention to mental illness would. This guys mom warned his babysitter not to turn his back on him even for a minute but yet she did. If you have someone in you family that has mental illness maybe you should lock up you guns and seek help for them even if it means locking them up in a mental institution.

• Like 6

I would give it acouple weeks before the full story is out. the news channels all scramble to be the FIRST with the story so they all normally say random made up facts.

• Like 2

I how politicans are just useing this to push their agenda... Them wanting gun control isent new.

Reminds me of a compulsive liar how they tell so many lies they start to believe there true until they cant remember which lie they told last.

• Like 1

Does not bloody matter

If a man using a pistol killed more people in a school shooting, such as in VT, why aren't they banning pistols?

Nearly 170 children died in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. Hands were used to set off the bombs.

Should we ban hands as well? If you drink too much water, that can be harmful to you. Should we ban water, as well?

If a man using a pistol killed more people in a school shooting, such as in VT, why aren't they banning pistols?

Nearly 170 children died in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. Hands were used to set off the bombs.

Should we ban hands as well? If you drink too much water, that can be harmful to you. Should we ban water, as well?

That's not a good argument to 'keep' the pistols. Maybe they should have been banned. Because they were not banned does not necessarily mean they are safe or not the cause.

And just to clarify, of the 170 people in the Oklahoma City Bombing, 19 were children.

• Like 1

That's not a good argument to 'keep' the pistols. Maybe they should have been banned. Because they were not banned does not necessarily mean they are safe or not the cause.

And just to clarify, of the 170 people in the Oklahoma City Bombing, 19 were children.

Pistols have saved many lives; that's one reason they aren't banned.

That, and millions of Americans would be royally p***ed off.

Thank you for the clarification.

I have read that there was no demonstrable improvement in killings with such weapons or with number of shots fired in mass attacks after the ten year ban. If those numbers are correct then the net effect of this will be to make an 800 dollar rifle become a 2000 dollar rifle nearly overnight. In fact if I had a couple thousand to invest I'd buy 2 today. In 6 months I could probably triple or even quadruple the investment. Banning high capacity magazines will have the same effect BUT in the long run their ban might actually help matters. Making a shooter reload makes him a bit more vulnerable.

Everyone is out now,stock piling them . Some stores took them off the shelves.

The guy who owns the gun shop in Newtown CT,closed .

I think he's the only one that did it for the altruistic reasons .

• Like 1

Kool Aid wasnt banned

• Like 1

Which is going to cause more damage? a pistol or rifles and machine guns?

• Like 1

Some of the arguments here are interesting... But let's be realistic. If the guy is in a classroom full of people with no one there to stop him, he will be able to kill them all regardless of what kind of a weapon he has or how many times he has to reload. The only real difference the type of weapon and ammo capacity would make is in a firefight with police officers.

• Like 3

This is nonsense. It's more of the democrats' attempts to pander to the media and public outcry by doing pretty much nothing about the overall problem. Banning types of guns is pointless. What needs to be addressed is the fact that guns are so readily accessible to almost anyone over a certain age in the U.S.. What needs to be addressed is the fact that there is a massive problem in that country with mental illness.

This plan of Obama's is like putting a band-aid on a decapitated man's neck.

• Like 1