Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Horsemeat found in beef

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

It's a good thing burgers are off my diet...
I've come to an executive decision about home brands in general.
I'm not getting them anymore despite how flashy and persuasive the packaging is.
If it means relying on the off-license more often then so be it.
I'm actually snookered here because my nearest supermarket is actually Tesco.
I'm expecting the home brand razor blades to be coated with ricin and the milk spiked with paint thinner.
But I've always wanted to know what happens to the thoroughbreds who don't make it to stud duties.
There's your answer for what it's worth.
Horses should be running about in fields instead of being prepared for human consumption.

Edited by Medium Brown, 16 January 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#17    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 12,064 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

The problem in Ireland was that in the time of the Celtic Tiger the stock of horses for rich people to own and ride was small so many farmers divested of productive stock and piled into the lucrative horse trade. At one point the humble donkey was fetching €1000 as a companion to the riding horse.
It got to the stage around our way that you saw almost as many horses in the fields as cows. The inevitable market economics kicked in and the market for luxury horses became oversupplied and crashed. All those unbroken horses roaming around the fields were now worth absolutely nothing as there were no buyers. A well breed horse which has been handled since birth (such that it can be rode at point of sale) still fetches reasonable money. All the rest are been sent away to France for butchery. Beef is currently at a premium and rising, and horse meat is cheap. I will place money on the fact that in this situation there is a healthy trade in illegal horse butchery with many ending up in the premium beef market. Heads will role.

I put it down to the stupidity of farmers who couldn't see this coming. Then again its exactly the same mentality which ended in the largest property bust in history - so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#18    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Certainly agree that this is a crime of deliberate deception for purposes of $$$. Yet sometimes I think British are too sentimental about animals. Oh well, now to finish my fried kitten and dolphin stew :P

#19    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,510 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

it would be wrong to blame the Food Sellers. They have contracts with suppliers that state the permitted ingredients.

As to the actual ingredients, I see nothing wrong with horsemeat (if you like Salami, or other cured meats, then you almost certainly will have had some in your life without realising it), or Pork and don't really give a Fig's about outraged Religious Groups.

Another thought springs to mind - aren't Religious Pork Abstainers supposed only to eat Halaal, or Kosher meats that have been ritually murdered?? What are they doing buying Iceland or Tesco Beefburgers?

Edited by keithisco, 16 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#20    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I thought the term - I am so hungry, I could eat a horse...was just a catch phrase ??!!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#21    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 16 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Its not the meat in question, it may have bugs or diseases that humans might catch. You wouldn't eat cow penis now would you?

Never eated a bull penis, but i eat criadillas, its testicles. It was tasty. Heck, i have eaten tongue, brain, eyes. Tehre is a lot of parts in the cows/pigs/horses/meat in general that the general populace do not eat based on ignorance.

I´m an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#22    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,636 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

it would be wrong to blame the Food Sellers. They have contracts with suppliers that state the permitted ingredients.

As to the actual ingredients, I see nothing wrong with horsemeat (if you like Salami, or other cured meats, then you almost certainly will have had some in your life without realising it), or Pork and don't really give a Fig's about outraged Religious Groups.

Another thought springs to mind - aren't Religious Pork Abstainers supposed only to eat Halaal, or Kosher meats that have been ritually murdered?? What are they doing buying Iceland or Tesco Beefburgers?
this is what riles me, there are some complaining about horse meat and some complaining that about pigs meat in their beef, but halal and kosher are ok?!!! NOT IN MY EYES!
tescos sell halal meat, when i saw that, I boycotted them. people moaning about their religion and yet do not give a to** about the animals and if they are slaughtered!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#23    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,094 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

"Shrugs" I ate horse in france, it was kinda yummy.

#24    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostWyrdlight, on 16 January 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

"Shrugs" I ate horse in france, it was kinda yummy.
But would you have it in a burger?

Despite it contadicting  the trades and descriptions act.

Edited by Medium Brown, 16 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#25    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,094 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 16 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

But would you have it in a burger?

Despite it contadicting  the trades and descriptions act.

I agree that the product should contain the meat its stated as containing, but yeah id eat it no worries, as long as said meat was prepared to proper standards.  To be honest id eat pretty much anything apart from dog.

#26    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I have said this a lot lately, i am sure i am on PETAs shoot to kill list because of it  but i will say it again.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with horse meat,  It tastes good, it is lower in cholesterol than beef is, granted it can be tougher but it is actually a better meat source than beef.
I ate horse off and on for years as a  kid  until  a bunch of squeemish americans  decided that horses are pets exclusively  not meat animals and made it illegal to slaughter horses for meat.
And so Most horse meat goes into dogfood or cat food  or some other animal food as meat byproducts, or to a glue factory, or a leather factory, or into a dumpster out back for later transport to the local landfill where it feeds the rats, while somewhere in the world humans complain about being forced to eat it.

#27    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

yes i would eat it as a hamburger, as a steak, as a roast,   and as horse jerky

#28    trish1997

trish1997

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 15 January 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

absolutely, they should declare it.
personally I do not eat horse meat, but I know people do, my concern is not the fact that people do it eat, its the fact that we are being lied to and those lying to us I doubt are taking care of the animals while alive.

Me too exactly.............

#29    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 15 January 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

As for the religious bit: is this really what people care about!!! If they are not vegetarians and only care because of religious reasons and not for the animals wellfare, then I have absolutely no sympathy at all.

Check out Tescos Facebook page.. They have an apology note up..--> http://www.facebook....ook.com/tesco   .... Despite their recent news, Tescos says their burger sales remain stable !!

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#30    Dragan

Dragan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Better than the snout hoof and chopped rectum they usually serve up.

"It is to Scotland that we look for our idea of civilization." -- Voltaire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users