Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guillermo del Toro’s At The Mountains Of Mad

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostUrisk, on 20 January 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Another personal fave that one :) I think that would make a really good film.

Stuart Gordon used large parts of this story for his adaptation of Dagon though. It is one of the better adaptations of Lovecraft out there. :tu:

View PostInsanity, on 20 January 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

A reading of The Shadow Over Innsmouth I do not have, will need to fix it.

:tu: Another youtube HPL reader on has an awesome voice though lacking the dramatic music and sound fx.

http://www.youtube.c...C40C1AEF79BB850

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#47    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

There are some readings of Lovecraft on librivox as well.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#48    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 20 January 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Stuart Gordon used large parts of this story for his adaptation of Dagon though. It is one of the better adaptations of Lovecraft out there. :tu:

So I've heard. Wasn't sure how good it would be. I mean, Reannimator... yeah it's great but it's ridiculous,and I've not seen From Beyond. Must check out Dagon. Isn't it in Spanish?

On another note, does anyone else find Clark Ashton Smith frustrating to the point of almost throwing the book out the window?

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#49    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostUrisk, on 29 January 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

So I've heard. Wasn't sure how good it would be. I mean, Reannimator... yeah it's great but it's ridiculous,and I've not seen From Beyond. Must check out Dagon. Isn't it in Spanish?

On another note, does anyone else find Clark Ashton Smith frustrating to the point of almost throwing the book out the window?

It is a Spanish production with three language tracks, English, Spanish, and Gallegan. I actually probably prefer Dagon above both Re-Animator and From Beyond in all honesty. It is the HP Lovecraft film that has the most Lovecraftian authenticity. The short posted in this thread earlier of From Beyond is way better than the movie and more terrifying.

Though I haven't read much of CAS but I do know what you mean.

CAS can be very frustrating because of his lack of descriptive economy and his non-linear lack of straightforward prose towards description and introspectives. His sentence structure is often times feels backwards or mixed-up and sentences should be written  with simply half the words he uses. Plus, his writing comes across to me personally as though the narrator or narrative has a voice of dramatic gusto as though I should be reading these stories in quick excited whispers.

Otherwise, he does come highly recommended to HPL fans.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#50    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 29 January 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Though I haven't read much of CAS but I do know what you mean.

CAS can be very frustrating because of his lack of descriptive economy and his non-linear lack of straightforward prose towards description and introspectives. His sentence structure is often times feels backwards or mixed-up and sentences should be written  with simply half the words he uses. Plus, his writing comes across to me personally as though the narrator or narrative has a voice of dramatic gusto as though I should be reading these stories in quick excited whispers.

Otherwise, he does come highly recommended to HPL fans.

Well there is that. But to me it's the fact his endings (or at least the ones I've read) are the worst I've read and make you wonder what was the actual point in reading the story. The Seven geases being the best example of this. I think I did throw the book in a fit of rage and scream "GRUAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" . Treader of the Dust was exactly the same... all this suspence building up and then... "???" and that was it. Perhaps I should read more of his stuff and give him a proper chance though.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#51    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostUrisk, on 30 January 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Well there is that. But to me it's the fact his endings (or at least the ones I've read) are the worst I've read and make you wonder what was the actual point in reading the story. The Seven geases being the best example of this. I think I did throw the book in a fit of rage and scream "GRUAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" . Treader of the Dust was exactly the same... all this suspence building up and then... "???" and that was it. Perhaps I should read more of his stuff and give him a proper chance though.

Oh yes, I forgot,  that there is no true resolution to CAS stories along with his purple prose. I definitely plan to read more of CAS just not anytime in the near future.

#52    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

RARE LOVECRAFT PHOTOS!

#53    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 04 February 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

WOW those are interesting

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users