Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

The real witch hunters

matthew hopkins john stearne elizabeth clarke witch hunters witchcraft

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters is the latest film to appeal to an audience fascination with the macabre. But witch hunters are not mere figments of Hollywood's imagination. They have their place in our own history, just a few hundred years ago.

On the night of 24 March 1645, Matthew Hopkins and John Stearne visited the home of Elizabeth Clarke in the small Essex town of Manningtree.

The 80-year-old woman, poor and with a missing leg, had the misfortune to be accused of witchcraft at a time when bizarre but damning evidence was easy for a zealous witch hunter to find.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tory/0/21548716

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,889 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

We used to have a cat named Pyewackett (after one of 'Mother' Elizabeth's imps). *peers fearfully through curtains at the sound of horses' hooves!*

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

View Postealdwita, on 19 March 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

We used to have a cat named Pyewackett (after one of 'Mother' Elizabeth's imps). *peers fearfully through curtains at the sound of horses' hooves!*

Pyewackett was also the name of the cat (familiar) in the Jimmy Stewart movie "Bell, Book and Candle"...

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,453 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

Sometimes the hunter needs to be the hunted.

If all it takes is to have a mole to be accused then half the people on the planet must be witches.

#5    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

People always talk about the Salem witch trials which only lasted one year with 33 people convicted. They totally disregard the thousands of people that were burned at the stake, over hundreds of years, as witches in Europe.

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,113 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

I find it interesting that one of the descriptors for which women were typically accused of witchcraft was a papist.

Michelle, to be honest, I hardly know anything about the Salem Witch trials.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#7    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,889 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostTaun, on 19 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Pyewackett was also the name of the cat (familiar) in the Jimmy Stewart movie "Bell, Book and Candle"...

Kim Novak....Yummy!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 19 March 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I find it interesting that one of the descriptors for which women were typically accused of witchcraft was a papist.

It's right up there with slavery as one of the great atrocities the US has commited. :rolleyes:

#9    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

As a witch myself I am extremely glad that witch hunts are a thing of the past (at least in most countries).  Thousands of women (not just witches) were killed by people just pointing the finger and accusing.

#10    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 19 March 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

As a witch myself I am extremely glad that witch hunts are a thing of the past (at least in most countries).  Thousands of women (not just witches) were killed by people just pointing the finger and accusing.
  In a village in Northern England (where I am from) they still have a "Ducking Pond", where old ladies accused of witchcraft were taken.Legend has is that they were submerged in the water and if they survived 5 minutes under they were set free.Of course if the time keeper was paid £2.00 in silver,(a fortune thosedays) by relatives of the old lady, the time was considerably shortened,and they survived to be banned from the village forever.The records of these events(written by the local Vicar) is now in a museum in Durham.

Edited by spud the mackem, 19 March 2013 - 05:07 PM.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#11    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,494 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Sounds fair to me.  (only joking)

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,889 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

This may be of interest then, Kasey.... http://www.localhist....org/salem.html

#13    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 19 March 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

In a village in Northern England (where I am from) they still have a "Ducking Pond", where old ladies accused of witchcraft were taken.Legend has is that they were submerged in the water and if they survived 5 minutes under they were set free.Of course if the time keeper was paid £2.00 in silver,(a fortune thosedays) by relatives of the old lady, the time was considerably shortened,and they survived to be banned from the village forever.The records of these events(written by the local Vicar) is now in a museum in Durham.

Where abouts is this ducking pond?  I'm from Leeds :)

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,580 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 19 March 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

Where abouts is this ducking pond?  I'm from Leeds :)
  A small village North of Sunderland, but its 30 years since I was there so its probably under a new housing estate.A lot of village ponds were used as "Ducking" ponds,in the middle ages,as the people were uneducated and superstitious,and the areas were run by ruthless Lords/Earls,with their minions controlling the ordinary folk.My area was controlled by a Lord Lambton, and Lambton Castle is now a National Trust property,but the family still lives there.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 2,964 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

They were all fearful folk that couldn't see past the zealous beliefs they were taught and brainwashed with since birth. The so-called witches were unfortunate victims, but a lot is unfortunate when you're dealing with an overly mislead "flock"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users