Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ancient City Found

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    gnalaj

gnalaj

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:11 AM

I'm not sure this isn't a hoax.  I found a website that raised the following questions:
The source, World Island Review, "does not seem to exist".
The historian Kisari Mohan Ganguli mentioned is probably long dead.  If you Google his name you'll find he published his translation The Mahabharata in 1883-1896.
It also doubts the existence of archeologist Francis Taylor.
Here's the sight I was looking at.  I'm not sure how reliable it is.  Link (see "Radioactive Ash in Rajasthan", India)

Also, I think Antares might have been right in questioning the lingering levels of high radiation.  Although I don't think it would be from uranium.  I think neutron radiation from the blast makes other substances in fallout radioactive, but for a shorter time than uranium or plutonium.  I could be wrong.
But aren't Hiroshima and Nagasaki lived in today?  The article said, "One researcher estimates that the nuclear bomb used was about the size of the ones dropped on Japan in 1945".  So, shouldn't the radiation problems be worse in Hiroshima and Nagasaki since those were more recent?

Edited by gnalaj, 17 April 2004 - 03:19 AM.

#17    Gazz

Gazz

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

• "Love like this, least
    once before we die"

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:52 AM

Are there any objects in space such as
asteroids that could be radioactive enough
to have exploded on entry and caused this?

Gazz

PS nice find! .. I have never heard of this.

Amazing thread! grin2.gif  

#18    gnalaj

gnalaj

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (Kellalor @ Apr 16 2004, 02:30 AM)

Here's a passage he is refering to:

Gurkha,
flying a swift and powerful vimana....
....soldiers threw themselves in streams
To wash themselves and their equipment.

--Mahabharata

I'm sorry to say, but I also doubt that this excerpt of the Mahabharata is genuine.  I think someone made it up and now it circulates only on websites interested in the unusual.  When I do searches for where this posted text comes from, it doesn't lead to any mainstream text of the Mahabharata.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. sad.gif  

#19    NightMoon

NightMoon

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 02:54 PM

I find this subject very interesting  thumbsup.gif

#20    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (gnalaj @ Apr 17 2004, 11:19 PM)

I'm sorry to say, but I also doubt that this excerpt of the Mahabharata is genuine.  I think someone made it up and now it circulates only on websites interested in the unusual.  When I do searches for where this posted text comes from, it doesn't lead to any mainstream text of the Mahabharata.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. sad.gif

The quote is from Protap Chandra Roy's 1889 translation.

Here is another very good site about ancient aircraft :

A Tribute to Hinduism - Vimanas

Edited by Kellalor, 18 April 2004 - 03:47 PM.

#21    gnalaj

gnalaj

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Kellalor @ Apr 18 2004, 04:39 PM)
The quote is from Protap Chandra Roy's 1889 translation.

Kellalor, where is the quoted text located in the Mahabharata?  I can't find the specific section and lines.

#22    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (gnalaj @ Apr 18 2004, 11:34 AM)

Kellalor, where is the quoted text located in the Mahabharata?  I can't find the specific section and lines.

You are right about the mainstream text of the Mahabharata not containing that quote, the actual quote is -

'Day by day strong winds blow and many were the evil omens that arose, awful and foreboding the destruction of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas. The streets swarmed with rats and mice. Earthen pots showed cracks or broken (sic) from no apparent cause. At night, the rats ad mice ate away the hair and nails of slumbering men. --- many birds appeared, impelled by death, that were pale of complexion but that had legs red of hue --- the Vrishni's, committing sinful acts, were not seen to feel any shame --- they insulted and humiliated their preceptors and seniors --- wives deceived their husbands and husbands their wives --- the sun, whether when rising or setting over the city, seemed to be surrounded by headless trunks of human form. In cook rooms, upon food that was clean and well boiled were seen, when it was served out for eating, innumerable worms of diverse kinds,'

You might be right about someone making it up.  sad.gif

Oh well.

#23    gnalaj

gnalaj

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:46 PM

I did some more searching.  Apparently, the text quoted comes from the book The Bermuda Triangle by Charles Berlitz.  (He did reference Protap Chandra Roy's translation.)  The validity is misleading at best.  He took various snippets from scattered places in the Mahabharata, manipulated them, and put them together into something new.  As your last post suggests, the originally lines that can be found in the Mahabharata  are much less suggestive.
For more and greater detail see this   Link.  (Scroll down two-thirds of the page to the paragraph beginning with "In my opinion, the nadir of deceptive misrepresentation....")

Edited by gnalaj, 18 April 2004 - 05:51 PM.

#24    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (gnalaj @ Apr 18 2004, 12:46 PM)
Link.  (Scroll down two-thirds of the page to the paragraph beginning with "In my opinion, the nadir of deceptive misrepresentation....")

Ah, okay...  dontgetit.gif

Thanks.  thumbsup.gif  

#25    gnalaj

gnalaj

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Kellalor @ Apr 19 2004, 02:02 AM)
QUOTE (gnalaj @ Apr 18 2004, 12:46 PM)
Link.  (Scroll down two-thirds of the page to the paragraph beginning with "In my opinion, the nadir of deceptive misrepresentation....")

Ah, okay...  dontgetit.gif

Sorry, Kellalor.  I didn't realize that it was the same source you had been to.

You're a good sport.

#26    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (gnalaj @ Apr 19 2004, 04:35 PM)

You're a good sport.

Hey, I'll admit when I'm wrong!  grin2.gif  

#27    shirini

shirini

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:15 PM

It's Hoax. clap.gif  clap.gif

#28    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (shirini @ Apr 19 2004, 05:15 PM)
It's Hoax.

Not necesarially all of it.  grin2.gif

#29    ScreaminEagle

ScreaminEagle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:34 AM

I remember reading somewhere about vimanas. It was said that many in Asia and surrounding areas still have theses aircraft and keep them very secretive for good reason.  

I have also seen heiroglyphs of aircraft from the pyramids in Egypt resembling modern craft.

"I wouldn't recommend sex,drugs, or insanity for everyone but they've always worked for me." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

#30    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 01:27 PM

Here we go -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users