Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do children have a 6th sense?

BellaLuna

Can children see and sense more than adults? I ask this because I have noticed things that my son has said to me since he was about 5 yrs. I do not and never have encouraged what he says he knows and sees. I am sort of a skeptic but willing to learn and understand.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fruitcakesanonymous

• gonzowalker

• Seraphina

• CASTOR

hmmm... I have heard many accounts of that. Here is one example: One of my bosses, who is quite the conservative & practical individual I might add, actually pondered that very thing you do. He told me how his young son has this "invisible" friend who is an indian. Now from what I understand invisible "friends" can be common... but his son provides him with intimate details of this particular indian culture to the point where it's impossible for the kid to know this information (my boss did some research on the subject)... Apparently it doesnt come from school nor anything he could catch on tv or anything in his environment... What could it be? A really in-depth imagination? A ghost? Past Life?

Children have such active imaginations. One never knows where they get ideas from. This is why I normally attribute anything I can't explain to coincidence. I am sure I am wrong for thinking this way. Hopefully no one here will be mad at me for saying that. whistling2.gif

Don't really know anything about this but I've heard before that babies,or little kids are much better with thier mind ability,I meant like esp because they could concentrate much better than adults,well because we do lots of thinking (bla blas)everyday while they don't do that too much so basically thier concentration is much easier to achieve than us trying to do it.

Children, the younger they are the more they can see and pick up on, babies for instance seem to be able to 'see' ghosts and other things around them that adults can not, just as babies are all synaesthesiasts, which means they can see sounds and hear colours.

The chances are that as babies we have a 6th sense that we grow out of as we grow older, as we learn to talk and learn other things and ways to communicate. Only a very small percentage of people keep this 6th sense and they turn out to be mediums and psychics.

i dont know about children, but i think animals have a sense. im sure this has been talked about, but we had a cat that i think could see things. my mom said it just had a good imagination, but the things it did were a little crazy for it to be all in the cats head. it would lay in our dining room and swat at something, then take off across the floor and then spin back around like it was going to break its back, and jump and slam into stuff. it was crazy. i loved to watch it. but then it would follow whatever it was with its eyes and all of the sudden it would be looking above my head, that creaped me out. then all around in front of me and stuff. i would try to follow where it was looking, but i never saw anything. maybe the cat was crazy, OR MAYBE IT WASNT ohmy.gifohmy.gif

CASTOR

it would lay in our dining room and swat at something, then take off across the floor and then spin back around like it was going to break its back, and jump and slam into stuff. it was crazy. i loved to watch it. but then it would follow whatever it was with its eyes and all of the sudden it would be looking above my head, that creaped me out. then all around in front of me and stuff. i would try to follow where it was looking, but i never saw anything. maybe the cat was crazy, OR MAYBE IT WASNT ohmy.gifohmy.gif

CASTOR

hehe... thats how my cat would react if it was sitting too close to us while we "puffed". whistling2.gifcat.gif

My Mom said that when I was very young I would ask her questions like, What happened to my wife, or where was I when I was dead. They could have just been questions that I came up with from hearing people talking about different things. Maybe around the time of my Grandmother's funeral.

I don't remember being married or a past life now, but as a child who knows.

This might not make much sense. I can't really explain it, but...

Remember that feeling you get when you start something long over again? When I was little, I remember always getting that feeling.

How do birds know to fly south, how do salmon know to swim back to where they used to live, or turtles know to lay their eggs in the sand instead of having them at sea? Instinct, just as a baby has the instinct to suckle and to move and to learn how to talk, to watch and mimic. Instinct is passed on from generation to generation, memories from a previous generation, of what is learned. So if your ancestor was attacked by a dog, or stung by a bee then that will be passed on to you. This is all those so called past lives are, people tapping into the memories of some dead ancestor, same with the invisible friends.

How do birds know to fly south, how do salmon know to swim back to where they used to live, or turtles know to lay their eggs in the sand instead of having them at sea? Instinct, just as a baby has the instinct to suckle and to move and to learn how to talk, to watch and mimic. Instinct is passed on from generation to generation, memories from a previous generation, of what is learned. So if your ancestor was attacked by a dog, or stung by a bee then that will be passed on to you. This is all those so called past lives are, people tapping into the memories of some dead ancestor, same with the invisible friends.

I don't know if I really believe that memories can be "inherited", if that is what you mean. Instinct is more along the lines of the need to survive. But I guess instinct could me made up of tiny bits of memory, so you may be right.

Someone smarter than me needs to come and explain the difference between memories and instinct.

Memories - an actual event that occured, and that you experienced, that you can recall.

Instinct - a conditioned responce to a set of circumstances or conditions. These are usually natural responces, based on how our brain is wired. They have nothing to do with memory...memory induces a thought out responce to a situation based on experience, instinct is subconscious.

Seraphina, you hit the nail right on the head. Instinct can also be called, reflexs in some cases. i am in Learning psychology right now and we are teaching rats to bar press, and i tell you what, it is harder than i thought. well, i guess not harder, but more time consuming. we have to know everything about cognition, Pavlov, Descartes, Darwin,..... almost everyone that did anything to do with the learning process. its fun though.

CASTOR

Actually....I think you'll find reflexes and instincts are pretty different tongue.gif

A reflex is a sudden, and involentary responce to protect the body from danger and damage...such as blinking when looking into a bright light, grabbing your hand back from something hot, or jumping away from a sudden unexpected movement. It's a muscle reaction, and has absolutely nothing to do with the brain, skipping out thought processes completely.

Instinct is usually a very long responce to a situation, that covers far greater scope than a reflex...you couln't exactly call a bird flying to warmer climates in winter a 'reflex' action. The brain actually has to consider the actions to be taken on a subconscious level, rather than the instant reaction of a reflex, where the time taken to think what to do might endanger the organism.

It's a muscle reaction, and has absolutely nothing to do with the brain, skipping out thought processes completely.

I thought all muscle reactions were controlled by the brain? Even in a reflex test, doesn't electrical impulses from the brain tell the knee to kick, or is it just bypassing the brain altogether? I'm not a doctor, so I don't really know.

You explained everything very well though! Keep it up, it's good stuff.

a reflex comes from the spinal cord. the stimulus travels to the spinal cord and then the reaction traves back to the muscle for a response. the spinal cord transmits the info to the brain as it gets the stimulus. so the reaction is occuring before or about the same time the brain finds out about it. its really crazy, but i love to study stuff like this.

CASTOR

Memories - an actual event that occured, and that you experienced, that you can recall.

Instinct - a conditioned responce to a set of circumstances or conditions. These are usually natural responces, based on how our brain is wired. They have nothing to do with memory...memory induces a thought out responce to a situation based on experience, instinct is subconscious.

Memory: the part on your computer that stores information. To remember something such as where did we go when it got cold and other conditioned responses

Instinct: information that is passed on from generation to generation

Instinct - a conditioned responce to a set of circumstances or conditions.

Do you not understand what the word conditoned means?

So where exactly do your animals get their instinct from, if they are not passed on? They just all decide to fly south for the winter because it seems like a good idea? How do they know not to eat cane toads? Of course information is passed on from generation to generation. You can believe in spooks and all the other nonsense, but anything that is based on rational ideas and you cant cope. Reality is far more interesting than chasing rainbows.

...*blinks*...are you actually trying to attack a biology student, who probably knows more about this than you do? Or perhaps you simply think I can't cope with 'rational ideas', because you lack the patience and understanding to actually read what I posted properly...I see this requires putting things even closer to ground level, so allow me to simplify it even more, just for you wink2.gif

Yes, instinct is information that is passed on in a sense...however, it is not passed on through memory, but rather certain gene sequences that cause an animal to behave in a certain manner.

The reason they exist in every generation without need of an organism actually experiencing an event beforehand is they inherit the genes that cause them to react in this way from their parents, who in turn inherited it from their parents, and so on and so forth...

As with all natural selection, the ancestors of modern creatures that did not have these genes did not survive to reproduce, and so only these 'good genes' were passed on.

I never once disputed that instinct was not a passed on trait...I said it was about how an organisms brain was genetically wired to a undergo a certain responce. I said memory was not passed on, since memory is stored in a certain area of the brain, not in the chromosomes, it is impossible for it to be passed on from parent to child.

Since we're on the subject of reality, the next time you decide to start insulting me over trying to answer the question of another member using an established, scientific explanation, perhaps you should think a little harder before you do. I don't enjoy having to break down my answer into a boring, step-by-step process for the benefit of people who refuse to accept it the first time.

You can believe in spooks and all the other nonsense, but anything that is based on rational ideas and you cant cope. Reality is far more interesting than chasing rainbows.

There is nothing I hate more people that make snap judgements on others. This person just assumed that because Seraphina was posting on a forum called "Unexplained Mysteries" that her arguement would be ridiculous and based solely on "spooks and other nonsense". This person is so negative that all he wanted to do was argue his point that there is no such things as paranormal happenings that he didn't even bother to read her posts. I understood everything that she said, and I don't think that that is because I, too, am a biology student. Think before you attack.

this topic reminded me of a 3 year old my mum had taken care of a few years back...

her name was Raven, and she would always scare the bejeezuz out of me, because of the things she would say...

she always spoke about a "mean lady" or "bad lady" and she also mentioned a "nice one" named "Michael"...whenever anyone would ask who they were she would whisper, "shhh, the mean lady might hear..." Thinking she was just playing a game everyone would play along.

One day my mum saw her under the dining room table, and she asked her, "what are you doing, Raven?" and she replied, "Michael told me to hide from the bad lady." My mum began to get apprehensive because she clearly saw that Raven was upset, so she then asked her, "where is the bad lady?"

My mum said Raven pointed to the doorway of the basement and said, "she went down there..." Because she had to get some laundry done anyways, my mother decided to go down to the basement with Raven and show her that noone was down there. As they went down the basement, my mother said Raven was talking to "Michael" all the way down the stairs. Apparently she was telling "Michael" to watch out for the "mean lady" and let her know when she comes back. Upon hearing this, my mum got freaked out, but when about loading the washer and dryer. However, my mum's task was cut short because she became aware of a terrible smell of rotten eggs and dead animals(this is how she described the smell to me) All of a sudden Raven says to my mother, "Uh oh, she's here, but dont worry, Michael is here too." Then a few seconds later, Raven replies, "Oh she's gone, its okay..." It was right then that my mother noticed the smell was gone...

My mother was too freaked out to gather her wits, so she just ran up the stairs with Raven in her arms...

This event might not seem very odd, but a few days later I was doing a project on Saint Joan of Arc and so I had various books scattered about the table. Raven grabbed one and started flipping the pages and said, "Look its Michael!" I got up and looked at the picture she was showing me and saw before me a painting of Saint Michael the Archangel...

this was enough to freak me out

If I offended you Seraphina, I didn't mean to. Was just asking a question about something I didn't know. You can probably tell I'm not a Biologist, I'm a Sheetrocker. grin2.gif

20 years ago the world was told we need to wear sunscreen. Now 20 years later, we are told that the sunscreen doesnt block out the UV rays that do the damage. So please dont insult my intelligence by quoting from books as if they are the gospel truth. Half the world of science belives in black holes, the other half doesnt, some believe that a meteor killed the dinosaurs while others dont, some belive in big bangs while others believe in string or cosmic dust. So whatever you are or think you are is irrelevant, I wouldnt care if you were a professor or the reincarnation of Einstein.

There were no insults, so if you felt offended then it is most likely a bruised ego. It was your interpretaion of what I had said that was wrong, and that comes down to your desire to see one point of view over another, i.e you are biased so you misinterpret. Memory is stored in every cell in your body, even though the primary place we acknowledge as the centre for memory storage is the brain. Science is a very slow, clumsy and primitive medium, relying on picking things to peices and expecting the evidence to supply the answer rather than using a logical thinking process.

Any one can say what something isnt. It isnt a UFO, its a weather balloon, its a an aircraft. This doesnt mean it cant be true because all you have done is show alternatives, i.e opinion. The only way to know for sure is to try to prove it correct, if you are not doing that then you are just chasing rainbows, searching for what you want to believe and avoiding the possibility that your belief is the wrong one.

You confused memory with memories. So instead of wasting your time quoting from a book, try thinking outside the square and think for yourself.

The reason they exist in every generation without need of an organism actually experiencing an event beforehand is they inherit the genes that cause them to react in this way from their parents, who in turn inherited it from their parents, and so on and so forth...

Certainly genes are passed on, however the information contained in genes are learned responses. An animal learns not to eat cane toads because it gets sick and then that information is passed on, it isnt just born with a natural knowledge not to eat cane toads. Therefore it is stored onformation, therefore it is memory.

The only way to know for sure is to try to prove it correct, if you are not doing that then you are just chasing rainbows, searching for what you want to believe and avoiding the possibility that your belief is the wrong one.

You confused memory with memories. So instead of wasting your time quoting from a book, try thinking outside the square and think for yourself.

And I think you're confusing logic for getting flustered and angry, trying to argue your case in a manner that's about as fluent as a drunk trying to make sense of Das Kapital.

You're arguing against the theories I quote by saying "they're not proven! Now I'll huff, and I'll puff..." While your theories are little more than a mixture of hot air, and frustration at being treated like an idiot in my previous post. What, exactly has proven your theories? Given that what I'm saying has been researched, investigated, and refined over the course of years...yours has sprung up out of your own head, has about as much weight behind it as a thrown feather, and you seem to think it's true, just because you said so tongue.gif

Perhaps, if you actually do what you're preaching, and "go out and prove" your theories, I might actually hold them in greater regard...however until you stop doing nothing but blowing hot air, kindly don't waste my time, and go out and get an education. You'll likely find that these 'books' you seem to despise are written by people who are significantly more intelligent than you are.

And so are the people that read them...

If you're going to actually argue that memory can be passed on to a child, let's go ahead and argue that other things that have absolutely nothing to do with genes can be passed on..."Hey, I lost a leg in a car crash! Oh dear god! What if this injury is stored in my cells, and passed on to my children! Shock! Horror!"[/

So what colour is the sky in your world?

gonzowalker - no offence at all, happy to help original.gif