Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

The Great Big User Name Thread

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,528 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 16 July 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Its a good one, taken from a 'No Smoking' sign.

As youngster I remember being told this was because he couldn't read to well, is there any truth to this?

I don't think this is where Watson took the name from; I've found reference to the illiteracy story on some religious websites but not in relation to this performer. Interested to hear if anyone else turns something up though!

#62    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,237 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostStardrive, on 16 July 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

I first discovered this site back in 2003. Came here everyday for a couple of years to read the articles, never even looked at the forums. When I decided to join in 2005 (to access the members only galleries),  the Sci-Fi channel was airing the series Farscape. Pilot (one of the characters in the show) used the term "stardrive" for his faster than light mode of travel. So as I tried different names, all of which were taken, I thought of "stardrive" and it was available. And the rest is history......

edit:spelling
excellent show.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#63    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 17 July 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

I don't think this is where Watson took the name from; I've found reference to the illiteracy story on some religious websites but not in relation to this performer. Interested to hear if anyone else turns something up though!

I was pretty sure about the 'No Smoking' was right, but unsure about the illiteracy thing. Lets hope a web sleuth on here will get to the bottom of it.

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#64    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

i figured the ladies are tired of the knight in the shining armor and let's face it they digs this name  :D

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#65    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 18 July 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

i figured the ladies are tired of the knight in the shining armor and let's face it they digs this name  :D

The trouble is KoS, your character and morality are exactly the reverse of what is expected of a Knight!

Posted Image

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#66    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Postealdwita, on 18 July 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

The trouble is KoS, your character and morality are exactly the reverse of what is expected of a Knight!

Posted Image
exactly because every one expect knight in shining armor :P not a shadows knight !

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#67    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,528 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 18 July 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

I was pretty sure about the 'No Smoking' was right, but unsure about the illiteracy thing. Lets hope a web sleuth on here will get to the bottom of it.

Sorry, my last post was really half a post! You're absolutely right about the "No Smoking" sign, it's just the illiteracy bit that's apocryphal.

Edited by schizoidwoman, 18 July 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#68    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,078 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

View Post747400, on 17 July 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

excellent show.
Yeah it was fun to watch. Don't you dare change your name 7's. I'll, I'll, take away your birthday if you do...  :lol:

Posted Image

#69    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Mine is no where near as clever as some of the users on this forum but anyway...

My surname is Dickson

My nickname is Dicko

One day my mate bought an old Mortal Kombat arcade machine. We played it for ages but it was second hand and already had high-scores that we couldn't beat or reset. Then one magical day I actually beat a few of the high-scores, but you could only put a three digit name for the score. Considering most of my mates call me Dicko instead of my real name, I put my high-score as DKO instead of my real initials.

DKO was meant to be a shorter version of Dicko...

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#70    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostDKO, on 20 July 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

Mine is no where near as clever as some of the users on this forum but anyway...

My surname is Dickson

My nickname is Dicko

One day my mate bought an old Mortal Kombat arcade machine. We played it for ages but it was second hand and already had high-scores that we couldn't beat or reset. Then one magical day I actually beat a few of the high-scores, but you could only put a three digit name for the score. Considering most of my mates call me Dicko instead of my real name, I put my high-score as DKO instead of my real initials.

DKO was meant to be a shorter version of Dicko...

I like the Mortal Combat story. The fatality finishing moves in that game could give your handle another meaning though....

DKO = Death Knock Out  :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb, 21 July 2012 - 01:10 AM.

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#71    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 21 July 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

I like the Mortal Combat story. The fatality finishing moves in that game could give your handle another meaning though....

DKO = Death Knock Out  :tu:

Haha that's funny. That can be my fatality move, "Finish Him!" - up, up, left, right, blue button - 'Death Knock Out'.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#72    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,508 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

Dear Moderator,

I'm just curious as to why this topic was moved from the 'Community Lounge' forum to 'General Off-Topic Discussion'.

In the community lounge forum, one of the pinned/permanent topics is 'Pets Gallery'. I ask, how is a photo of my fido more pertinent to the community than asking a fellow member of this community, "Where does your name come from?"

Respectfully,
Likely Guy

#73    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,508 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

Dear Moderator,

On second thought, this thread will probably do better down here.

Thx just the same.

- Likely Guy

#74    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,764 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

My name is a shortened version of out of the box skeptic. Genealogically speaking I'm mostly German. It should have read aus der Braun box skeptisch. But I had to shorten it. It didn't feel right. So I took out Braun or of.  Save on carpel tunnel for you all and myself. LOL
Later found out the translate program was slightly flawed as it should read aus der box skeptika. Due to the usage of skeptic as a proper noun. To which i simply wasnt aware of proper sentence structure in german. but I like it all the same. I can't change it now this is me.
And call me Aus. Or I suppose ADBS ... just don't trouble yourself with the whole spelling.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch, 24 July 2012 - 06:29 AM.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#75    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,508 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

Aus,

That is the most complicated explanation that I've heard thusfar.

Nice to meet you finally (in an 'internet era' sorta way).

- LG

Edited by Likely Guy, 25 July 2012 - 03:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users