Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

Aesthetic

I'm sure Sleep Paralysis is posted all over this site, but I'm just curious about how many members have actually experienced it. I know a lot of research is going into the cause of sleep paralysis, but the underlying cause has yet to be discovered. If you have experienced SP please share your story...I'll be brief with mine:

It was the summer of 2004 and I was on vacation in Auckland, NZ. I was 22 years old at the time and was sharing a hotel room with my sister. We went to sleep on seperate beds. It was sometime in the middle of the night when I felt myself wake. I awoke without opening my eyes, which was kind of odd (like when you are aroused out of sleep by a noise or feeling). It's kind of hard to recall now, but I remember feeling a very strong almost malevolent presence(which is common with SP) inside the room. The strong presence attributed to my paralysis considering that I didn't want to move because I was so utterly frightened. I still kept my eyes shut with the feeling of dread for approximately 20 seconds, which felt much longer. I remember trying to yell to my sister to turn the bedlight on. I tried several times to speak, but I could not voice the words. I am not sure if I was too frightened to speak or I physically couldn't. At this time, I am now trying to move as well as yell to my sister. Of course, my body is completely paralyzed and I rember that I was fighting so hard to actually move my body and voice the words. Finally, I was able to scream - (yes my final voice came out in a scream) to my sister to turn on the light. This scream obviously freaked her out and she jumped out of bed to turn on the light. The whole episode probably lasted around 30-40 seconds.

Anyway, the only other time I have experienced this was for a very brief duration at my current home. Appriximately 2-3 seconds. It is a very odd experience, and although I don't dread it happening again, it is not something that I tastefully enjoyed. I would like to hear other's experiences if possible as I am sure there are many.

-AESTHETIC

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldTimeRadio

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• coldethyl

• Enuf3

Sleep Paralysis is when your astral body is exiting your physical body. It is also called astral catalypsy. Everyone does it 2-3 times a week, they just don't remember, thianks to our conscious minds!!

I've always heard SP is when ghosts try to rape you. So when I experienced it, I was like...crap. But I finally just snapped out of it. Never saw anything strange or scary.

I never said it was true. Just what I heard. And I think SP may also be that fact that your brain may not be totally awake.

Your body is asleep along with your conscious mind. Your subconscious is part of your astral body. And I'm glad you are not gullible enough to think a ghost can rape someone. :tu:

well i tell you i have ben having SP allot over the years i think it happens like once every three months or so the first time was the worst because when i was struggling to regain control of my body i stopped breathing and i started to suffocate! after that when i would have SP i would just try to go back to sleep because there was not any thing i could do about it. it always seemed to get me at the most inconvenient times when i would be in a uncofertable position or some thing. there was this one time i fell asleep with my leg right beside my space heater when i woke up from the pain i couldn't move and it burned like hell! then i was really struggling to move my leg GOD it was hard it just would not move and it was burning like hell all this time! i finely managed to move it after a long struggle it was probably only about a minute but it felt like an hour :wacko: ya so as you can see people SP really really sucks <_<

Edited by Ravinar

It happened to me a few years ago. I was sleeping and suddenly I was fully awake and my whole body was vibrating. I couldn't move and I was scared to death. I tried with all my willpower to lift my arms. I was really struggling and it was exhausting to get controll of it and whenever I gave up the vibration came back in slowly. Eventually I got out of it when I was finally able to lift my arm.

My girlfriend, laying next to me for a while, watching a movie, dozed off, and i just decided to let her sleep for a bit, she was quite stressed from exams and term papers coming due. An hour or so later, i heard her making kinda soft mewing sounds, and moving a bit. i went to comfort her, and in doing so woke her up. she described this incredibly horrifying experience she had gone through. regardless of how real it was, the dream itself of a gnarled demon painting her eyes and face seems to me to be something akin to the most terrifying movie i've ever seen or at least heard. but no, i can't say i've had any sp to speak of.

I think I was 12 or 13 at the time. Don't care to experience it again.

Same here. :no:

i had it once, it was odd because i had to use all my energy to try to move my arms but they wouldnt move! it sucks

Hi All. I have had Sleep Paralysis once, and fought my way through it.

I remember I was sleeping, and I dreamt that id keep waking up in different parts of our house. But of coarse i was still sleeping. At some point during the dream I thought i had enough of this crap and wanted out. But I remember i wasnt able to wake up. Scary sh***. I wasnt scared until that point. For some reason, during my sleep, i thought the only way i can wake up is if I reach up for the light switch, that was above my bed head.

So I struggled in my sleep to reach the light switch. I remember i had to fight very hard to get there. Eventually in my dream, I made the light switch and turned it on. Straight away I woke up and found myself kneeling on my bed with my hand on the light switch.

So the way that I fought Sleep Paralysis was, focus on a point, and struggle to get to it. Put all ur energy into it till u get there.

I have never had it since then. I hope that may help some of you get out of Sleep Paralysis

I had a dream that i confronted a demon (disguised as an old poor lady in a street), I tried talking to her, then it turned around towards me and told me that Jesus was the father of lies, with red eyes. As soon as that happened I woke up from that dream and found myself in my bed again, with my eyes wide open, but my arms were being held down and I couldnt make any noise or scream or anything. I remember an evil presence in the room, then after that I called on Jesus to help me, I remember a peaceful good presence entered and when i could finally say the name Jesus it all stopped. I totally believe SP is an evil thing. Although everybody has their own opinions on it, thats fine.

Hello all.

I've had this, christmas day. I went to sleep and woke up and i couldn't move, i didn't feel threatened in anyway, i didn't have a bad dream, i didn't sense a presence. After abit i got feeling in my arm and then my body, rushed down stairs to tell my mum and she said it's a normal thing that happens to the family.

I had a hag dream once, it felt like I was awake and I couldn't move. A hideous woman at the foot of the bed was staring at me. She crawled across the bed really quickly and dug her nails into my forearm. She got in my face and started babbling at me. (Something about Mary Magdalene). It was really freaky and I was awake for several hours after that. Hag stories are part of my heritage, I suppose that's why the experience took that form.

A good research point is Kanashibara sleep.

I just wanted to add to the other posts here. A few years ago I believe I experienced this phenomemnon....

I awoke(?) in a start. I had a feeling of dread and I thought I saw a dark shadowy figure in the room near the bed (this was like seeing something out of the corner of your eye). I felt I was awake, in nearly total darkness, I felt OVERWHELMING TERROR, I could not move my arms, or anything else, the eyes maybe? This is the most helpless I have ever felt in my life.

Eventually I think I just closed my eyes(?) and waited it out...not a great feeling I assure you.

Edited by Acolyte

I was a sophmore in high school, and i remember waking up and the light was on (i had left it on and passed out) and i had a strange vibration all over my body & the feeling of an ominous presence over me. Heh, i remember the vibrations got really hardcore and i felt all these explosions on my back like energy just exploding (in or out idk) it did this for awhile then it stopped, it felt like forever. I was utterly terrified, i tried to move my body like mad and i tried to scream but only pathetic little noises would come out, like a panzy attempt to scream. finally i managed to scream (or a half ass scream) then it just rapidly diminished, starting from my mouth/vocals, and then i could move again, i remember i stayed awake all night and went to school the next day and told my friends, they just shruged it off.

I had another experience (before or after i cant remember) was very similar to this but no "explosions" on my back... and ive had a mild case of SP recently but i knew what was going on even though i was like 90% asleep i tried to move my hand, like i was in a trance then i realized it wasnt gonna move for me and i just said F*k it and fell back asleep.

first two times i was on my back with my hands to my sides, when i was asleep, and the most recent i was sleeping in some obscure manner. im sure ive had other accounts that i just forgot, or didnt much care about.

I get it alot. usually, im in an uncomfortable position, and im stuck there for 10-20 seconds

All it is basicly your body, all your muscles and whatnot are asleep, but your brain is awake, it takes that extra time for your whole body to get up

I think I did I remember when I was young having a scary experience in bed and started sleeping on my front in a belief it would stop. I'm not sure if this actually happened but I did read sleep paralysis only happens when you sleep on your back.

Hi All. I have had Sleep Paralysis once, and fought my way through it.

I remember I was sleeping, and I dreamt that id keep waking up in different parts of our house. But of coarse i was still sleeping. At some point during the dream I thought i had enough of this crap and wanted out. But I remember i wasnt able to wake up. Scary sh***. I wasnt scared until that point. For some reason, during my sleep, i thought the only way i can wake up is if I reach up for the light switch, that was above my bed head.

So I struggled in my sleep to reach the light switch. I remember i had to fight very hard to get there. Eventually in my dream, I made the light switch and turned it on. Straight away I woke up and found myself kneeling on my bed with my hand on the light switch.

So the way that I fought Sleep Paralysis was, focus on a point, and struggle to get to it. Put all ur energy into it till u get there.

I have never had it since then. I hope that may help some of you get out of Sleep Paralysis

That doesn't sound like SP. Sounds like a dream you can't wake up from (how many can just wake up at will, anyway?) and a little bit of sleep walkin.

SP is when you CANNOT move, but are partially awake.

I don't know if it qualifies for SP, but I have had times in my life where I will have a bad dream and wake up feeling like I just worked out for a long time. My muscles all feel so tense I have to be careful when I start moving. Anyone think it's SP?

Sleep Paralysis... was your body paralyzed upon wakin up?

Then no, it's not SP, but something you should be careful about.

i remember going through SP (at least i think its SP) twice,

the first time i remember something was trying to get into my room, every time it failed trying to braking the door down, it would make this creapy screach/scream, the screach/scream sounded like a cross between those aliens from the alien movies, and those bug monster from the movie "the mimic." i was scared as hell when this happen, so i like anyone else tryied to yell for help because i couldnt move, but i could not make a sound, no matter how hard i tryied to yell for help or move i just couldnt.

the second time was like the first exept the thing managed to get an arm through, i tryied to yell but like the first time no sound, so to calm myself i started chanting the "juggalo chant" (Sig) dont ask why i just did...

I think that I have had it in the past, rarely though but it still happens, usually when I am very relaxed to the point of going to sleep, but mine are usually accompanied by a very painful pressure in my head. I feel like I am screaming but no sound comes out and I try to move but my body barely responds for what feels like several minutes, bu it might be only several seconds. Anyone know why I get a painful pressure in my head?

Edited by Wolfssd