Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Televised/Commercial Psychics

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,298 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostLibGeek, on 11 August 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Do you trust the popular, more famous psychics and mediums?

I am skeptical, but not cynical, regarding 'psychic abilities' - although I do draw the line at claims of being able to affect physical objects with the mind. Saying that, I am cynical with respect "commercial psychics", purely on the basis that money (and fame, etc) corrupts. The accuracy of these entertainers is only proclaimed in their own promotional material, and not through any research into the predictions they have made. Likewise, it is largely the entertainers retinue of 'hangers-on' (who often are material beneficiaries) who promote that entertainers 'abilities' via anecdote - rather than evidence or serious study.

For me, true evidence of anyone's psychic ability would lie not in a broad or generalised personality analysis, or even in non-specific, vague, or overly broad predictions (a la Nostradamus) which may be subject to post-event validation only via 'interpretation'. The only true validation of a person's psychic ability would be sepcific, clear predictions with an accuracy significantly above that of chance success, or being able to relate to me knowledge that only I possess and could not possibly (by it's specific, clear and accurate nature) be guessed.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#17    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,128 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have never seen any evidence that any psychic phenomena are real. As far as those who advertise for me to call in for a reading I always wondered, if they were psychic why didn't they call me?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users