Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flyboard Air: New hoverboard can actually fly

Still Waters

A man claims to have created a real hoverboard, perhaps the first working one ever made.

The new equipment appears to use a jet turbine engine to fly around. It doesn't seem to need to be attached to anything else, and has a claimed maximum height of 10,000 feet and can fly at nearly 100 miles per hour.

http://www.independe...r-a6978931.html

• Like 1

"......has a claimed maximum height of 10,000 feet and can fly at nearly 100 miles per hour." I hope some of our "celebrities" buy them all up.

There should be flying carpets by now. Me and my pal the cat would love that.

• Like 1

A man claims to have created a real hoverboard, perhaps the first working one ever made.

The new equipment appears to use a jet turbine engine to fly around. It doesn't seem to need to be attached to anything else, and has a claimed maximum height of 10,000 feet and can fly at nearly 100 miles per hour.

http://www.independe...r-a6978931.html

I am extremely skeptical of the device and the claims surrounding it. Having a single vector of thrust, and with the majority of the mass of the person/device combination being perpendicular to that vector, it would be incredibly unstable without additional means of stabilising the flight (such as rotors, etc).

In the video, especially in the "looking down" segment, I do not see the amount of disturbance on the surface of the water that would seem necessary for the device to stay airborne. Also, because the device relies solely on thrust to achieve flight (as opposed to an airfoil which uses thrust and lift), the claim of being able to achieve an altitude of 10,000 feet seems exaggerated, as does the claim of achieving lateral flight at any speed greater than walking.

I suspect the video is a prelude to the "inventor" requesting funding, and will turn out to be largely a clever "concept" video done using cgi.

• Like 3

Some sites are speculating whether the hoverboard is real or a hoax.

Like this for example -

Zapata hasn't released many details about the Flyboard Air, other than its alleged capabilities, which is adding to the argument that the video is a fake - nothing more than a marketing campaign to promote the company's other products.

As a way of offering more proof that the device is real, Zapata Racing released another clip (below) showing the Flyboard Air in action. This video isn't a professionally made one like the first, and it does look pretty genuine, but many are still skeptical that it's the real deal.

http://www.techspot....al-or-fake.html

Who knows.....either way the video has picked up a lot of attention in the media. You can also see a 2nd video in the link I just posted.

• Like 1

Something is odd about the video, in the early part the vid shows water displacement as it should as the board flies over the water yet later when this "board" is over the water again all you see is mist yet the water is not being moved at all save for normal small waves from the wind. I do know enough physics to know that if you hover over the water using a turbine powered craft then water will be displaced in all directions and when you move the water will be moved, making patterns much like a wake boat makes as it travels.

Hovering/flying a few feet is one thing and seems plausible and the devices seem to be able to handle that but to maintain a height of 10,000 feet is a pretty goofy claim and impossible using current technology.

I don't know...it would be nice if, for once, it was legit but just because it is on a screen doesn't mean it is real.

flying humanoids on monster quest

• Like 1

just what the military wanted in the 50s even better. it can get out of range. don't worry about bird strikes anymore, now we can have human strikes. now we can have idiots falling off their boards at 10,000 feet. watch out below.

IF, I say, IF just for the sake of the conversation, IF this is real. It should be outlawed and perhaps only employed by security/military personnel IE paratroopers.

That just seems fake. IF..If it actually worked, what fuel could they use for that?

• Like 1

Yeah, just think if you run out of fuel or it just stalls at a thousand feet, let alone ten thousand, you're gonna drop like a rock it's not gonna glide back to a safe landing.

• Like 1

this isn't a hover board its a jet pack, without the jet pack. we craft that hover the don't leave the ground except for a few inches.

• Like 1

It looks to me like a Harrier type jet. It also looks like the idiot is wearing the propellant on his back.

Without too much digging around, I could see this as a real invention with the real trick being how they stabilized it, but some of the footage does look suspicious. (where is the takeoff footage?)

I would say it's a little company looking to fund a half-ass idea.

this isn't a hover board its a jet pack, without the jet pack. we craft that hover the don't leave the ground except for a few inches.

I...think I understood.

Impressive. Hope the tech continues.

Impressive. Hope the tech continues.

Hydrogen peroxide jets like a jet pack? If it really has a 10 minute capacity at that output I can see recreational skydivers going nuts for these.

I do not see anything here that we did not have the technology for, say, 10 years ago, or even 20. What recent invention does it use that justifies the delay of these things? Surely in the age of crowd funding money can't be an issue, especially not with a hoverboard that will pay off all test and production costs in seconds after release. So what is it then?

"......has a claimed maximum height of 10,000 feet and can fly at nearly 100 miles per hour." I hope some of our "celebrities" buy them all up.

There should be flying carpets by now. Me and my pal the cat would love that.

Then crash and burn? Maybe Charlie Sheen will buy a few.

A lot of things don't add up. Just watching him keep balanced does not look right. I'm calling French BS.

that is what i noticed, balancing it with only 1 vector of thrust is a big challenge,

I do not see anything here that we did not have the technology for, say, 10 years ago, or even 20.

gyros, and control modules cheap and small enough to use in such crafts

• Like 1

just what the military wanted in the 50s even better.

they got hiller platform in 50s, but after initial trials they canned the project, and never went back to the idea.

Edited by aztek

• 1 year later...

For anyone thinking this was CGI, look at this vid...