Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

• Please log in to reply
5475 replies to this topic

#2326    Apol

Apol

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 23 January 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

Apol,

You say there are not many islands at the east coast of England, but there was a large and important one (and not an island anymore now) :

http://en.wikipedia..../Isle_of_Thanet

Posted Image
That is in fact an interesting map - especially because you find a Herne Bay at the upper left.

Puz's comment about the Lindisfaras should incite to a study of their history - what is the criteria of an Anglian settlement, for instance. According to the OLB there were a lot of banned Frisians in Britannja, and it says that a 'tribe' named Angelara - supporting themseles on fish - came from the area between Denmark and Belgium. The Anglo-Saxons are regarded as being descended from a Germanic tribe that migrated from mainland Europe to Britain - to be sure, though, in the 5th century AD.

The Wikipedia says that the Lindisfaras established the kingom of Lindsey (Lindesege) in North Lincolnshire in the 6th century AD.
'Lindesege' means 'Linde's Island'. It is said the word Linde is derived from Proto-Brythonic *linn, which means 'pool', like also in the name Lincoln - why then 'Linde.s.ege' and not "Linns-ey"?

#2327    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,363 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 January 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Nef Teunis entered the "MIddle Sea" and then his men settled Tyre.

If that 'Middle Sea' was not the Mediterranean, what was it? The North Sea?
Also to NO-ID-EA, it also says they came across the Phoenician coast when mentioning landing at what they called Tyre, so even though it's not a bad idea, I'd ask how one could also collaborate Phoenician coast with Britain.

Unless Britain had some kind of Phoenician coast, an area they had a colony or something but, it just doesn't really work as anywhere else imo in the context it gives.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#2328    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostApol, on 23 January 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Regarding Kälta - have you never wondered where Kälta's burgh KÄLTA.S BURCH - later renamed KÊREN.ÄK and KÊREN.HERNE was situated? The OLB says it was in BERCH.LAND, which most authors agree is in the area of Scotland, though still even Alewyn points to CARNAC in Brittany...

And not only does it say "berchland", but "northlika berchland" or northern land of mountains. Then there are the "Carnonacae" as Knul already hinted at.

Carnac in Brittany doesn't fit the picture as descirbed in the OLB, but it's what many will immediately think of when reading the name KÊREN.ÄK.

#2329    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostApol, on 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

That is in fact an interesting map - especially because you find a Herne Bay at the upper left.

Puz's comment about the Lindisfaras should incite to a study of their history - what is the criteria of an Anglian settlement, for instance. According to the OLB there were a lot of banned Frisians in Britannja, and it says that a 'tribe' named Angelara - supporting themseles on fish - came from the area between Denmark and Belgium. The Anglo-Saxons are regarded as being descended from a Germanic tribe that migrated from mainland Europe to Britain - to be sure, though, in the 5th century AD.

The Wikipedia says that the Lindisfaras established the kingom of Lindsey (Lindesege) in North Lincolnshire in the 6th century AD.
'Lindesege' means 'Linde's Island'. It is said the word Linde is derived from Proto-Brythonic *linn, which means 'pool', like also in the name Lincoln - why then 'Linde.s.ege' and not "Linns-ey"?

There are certainly strong indications Frisians (or related tribes) were present in Britain (and Ireland) even during Roman times:

http://www.unexplain...=227240&st=1095

http://oeralinda.blo...ainly-knew.html

Edited by Abramelin, 25 January 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#2330    NO-ID-EA

NO-ID-EA

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 January 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Nef Teunis entered the "MIddle Sea" and then his men settled Tyre.

If that 'Middle Sea' was not the Mediterranean, what was it? The North Sea?

Yes.. point taken......i was confusing Teunis and Inka as the ones that came through the Red Sea passage with Nearchus , and was thinking they could have gone East or West , but have since re-read that section, and agree remembered it wrong .

#2331    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostNO-ID-EA, on 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Yes.. point taken......i was confusing Teunis and Inka as the ones that came through the Red Sea passage with Nearchus , and was thinking they could have gone East or West , but have since re-read that section, and agree remembered it wrong .

OK, it's just that I thought you had read this post:

http://www.unexplain...15#entry4219174

(Post 10522, "Mittelsee")

#2332    Apol

Apol

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 25 January 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

And not only does it say "berchland", but "northlika berchland" or northern land of mountains. Then there are the "Carnonacae" as Knul already hinted at.

Carnac in Brittany doesn't fit the picture as descirbed in the OLB, but it's what many will immediately think of when reading the name KÊREN.ÄK.
That's right. The word berch.land can mean two things - it may be a proper name, or it may simply mean 'mountain land' or 'mountainous land'.
And 'et norðlika Berch.land can mean two things as well - the northern part of that mountainous land (or of Berchland, if a name), or the northern lying mountain land/Berchland.

#2333    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostApol, on 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

That's right. The word berch.land can mean two things - it may be a proper name, or it may simply mean 'mountain land' or 'mountainous land'.
And 'et norðlika Berch.land can mean two things as well - the northern part of that mountainous land (or of Berchland, if a name), or the northern lying mountain land/Berchland.

And from the context that mountainous land must be Scotland.

Btw, I've translated another part of the OLB, just to compare with Sandbach's translation (and I hope you'll notice the difference):

It's about what the Romans did to the Phoenicians (and it's near the end of the MS)

OLB:
Thaet forma haevon hja tha Fphonysjar Mis-selja ofnomen, dânâ alle landa, thêr sûdward, westward aend northward lidsa, âk et sûdardêl fon Britanja, aend allerwêikes haevon hja tha Fonysjar prestera, that hêth tha Gola vrjâgeth, dânâ sind thusanda Gola nêi north Brittanja brit.

Sandbach:
First they took from the Phœnicians Marseilles—then all the countries lying to the south, the west, and the north, as well as the southern part of Britain—and they have always driven away the Phœnician priests, that is the Gauls, of whom thousands have sought refuge in North Britain.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/

My Dutch translation:
Dan vooreerst hebben zij de Fonisjar Mis-selja af(ge)nomen, daarna alle landen die zuidwaards, westwaards ende noordwaarts ligden, ook 't zuiderdeel van Britanja, en allerweges ***(overal) hebben zij de Fonysjar priesters, dat heet 'de Gola', verjaagt; daarna zijn duizenden Gola na noord Brittanja (ge-)bracht.

My English translation:

Then first they took from the Phœnicians Marseilles, then all the countries to the south, west and east. also the southern part of Britain, and everywhere they drove away the Phoenician priests, that's the Gola; after that thousands of Gola were brought to North Britain.

*** al-l-er-weik-es 3, all-er-a weg-a elk-es*, afries., Präp.: nhd. allerwegen; ne.
everywhere; Q.: S, W; E.: s. al-l, wei (1); W.: nfries. allerweagen; L.: Hh 2b, 126a,
135a, 151a, Rh 600a

http://www.koeblerge...ch/afries-A.pdf

Edited by Abramelin, 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#2334    NO-ID-EA

NO-ID-EA

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostApol, on 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

Here is a little coincidence for you Apol...........i was born in Herne Bay , and often visit my mother who still lives there .

#2335    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Correction:

I translated the final word from my quote from the OLB as "brought", but it should be "moved to" :

Look under "Brida" in the Altfriesisches Wörterbuch by Karl Otto Johannes Theresius Richthofen [Freiherr von]

One translation (in German) voor 'brit' is 'gezogen', or 'moved to' (in this case), so the correct translation will be:

Then first they took from the Phœnicians Marseilles, then all the countries to the south, west and east. also the southern part of Britain, and everywhere they drove away the Phoenician priests, that's the Gola; after that thousands of Gola moved to North Britain.

Correction 2 (..sigh..) :

Even better: 'spread to'.

I wondered about this 'brit' for a while, and in Dutch it would be something like ver-breidt or in English 'spread', or 'spread out to' (DU: 'verspreiden') :

Then first they took from the Phœnicians Marseilles, then all the countries to the south, west and east. also the southern part of Britain, and everywhere they drove away the Phoenician priests, that's the Gola; after that thousands of Gola spread out to North Britain.

Edited by Abramelin, 25 January 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#2336    NO-ID-EA

NO-ID-EA

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 25 January 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Correction:

I translated the final word from my quote from the OLB as "brought", but it should be "moved to" :

Look under "Brida" in the Altfriesisches Wörterbuch by Karl Otto Johannes Theresius Richthofen [Freiherr von]

One translation (in German) voor 'brit' is 'gezogen', or 'moved to' (in this case), so the correct translation will be:

Then first they took from the Phœnicians Marseilles, then all the countries to the south, west and east. also the southern part of Britain, and everywhere they drove away the Phoenician priests, that's the Gola; after that thousands of Gola moved to North Britain.

Correction 2 (..sigh..) :

Even better: 'spread to'.

I wondered about this 'brit' for a while, and in Dutch it would be something like ver-breidt or in English 'spread', or 'spread out to' (DU: 'verspreiden') :

Then first they took from the Phœnicians Marseilles, then all the countries to the south, west and east. also the southern part of Britain, and everywhere they drove away the Phoenician priests, that's the Gola; after that thousands of Gola spread out to North Britain.

You could of course be right , but Brit being refuge makes sense also , it being part of the word Brittanja , and Brittanja sounds like it was a place where anyone convicted of something could take refuge , instead of being killed ......... it sound like one of the towns the jews had where you could flee to escape reprisals

#2337    Apol

Apol

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 25 January 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

And from the context that mountainous land must be Scotland.

Btw, I've translated another part of the OLB, just to compare with Sandbach's translation (and I hope you'll notice the difference):

It's about what the Romans did to the Phoenicians (and it's near the end of the MS)

OLB:
Thaet forma haevon hja tha Fphonysjar Mis-selja ofnomen, dânâ alle landa, thęr sűdward, westward aend northward lidsa, âk et sűdardęl fon Britanja, aend allerwęikes haevon hja tha Fonysjar prestera, that hęth tha Gola vrjâgeth, dânâ sind thusanda Gola nęi north Brittanja brit.

Sandbach:
First they took from the Ph˝nicians Marseilles—then all the countries lying to the south, the west, and the north, as well as the southern part of Britain—and they have always driven away the Ph˝nician priests, that is the Gauls, of whom thousands have sought refuge in North Britain.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/

My Dutch translation:
Dan vooreerst hebben zij de Fonisjar Mis-selja af(ge)nomen, daarna alle landen die zuidwaards, westwaards ende noordwaarts ligden, ook 't zuiderdeel van Britanja, en allerweges ***(overal) hebben zij de Fonysjar priesters, dat heet 'de Gola', verjaagt; daarna zijn duizenden Gola na noord Brittanja (ge-)bracht.

My English translation:

Then first they took from the Ph˝nicians Marseilles, then all the countries to the south, west and east. also the southern part of Britain, and everywhere they drove away the Phoenician priests, that's the Gola; after that thousands of Gola were brought to North Britain.

*** al-l-er-weik-es 3, all-er-a weg-a elk-es*, afries., Präp.: nhd. allerwegen; ne.
everywhere; Q.: S, W; E.: s. al-l, wei (1); W.: nfries. allerweagen; L.: Hh 2b, 126a,
135a, 151a, Rh 600a

http://www.koeblerge...ch/afries-A.pdf
Wow! That's incredible....
Sorry! I pushed a wrong button... I meant that what is incredible, is that Puz was born in Herne Bay!

Edited by Apol, 25 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#2338    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,363 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostApol, on 25 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Wow! That's incredible....
Sorry! I pushed a wrong button... I meant that what is incredible, is that Puz was born in Herne Bay!
NO-ID-EA was born in Herne Bay, I'm in Australia - but I agree, quite a co-incidence indeed!

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#2339    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostNO-ID-EA, on 25 January 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

You could of course be right , but Brit being refuge makes sense also , it being part of the word Brittanja , and Brittanja sounds like it was a place where anyone convicted of something could take refuge , instead of being killed ......... it sound like one of the towns the jews had where you could flee to escape reprisals

It makes sense, but I prefer a translation that is as close to the original as possible. Sandbach regularly changed sentences, added stuff or completely left out pieces of sentences. He also made a lot of mistakes, but I have understood he was married with a Dutch wife who helped with the translation from Ottema's translation into English.

And there is also quite a difference between Sandbach's "always" and the correct "everywhere".

Btw, "brit" can't be the name of a town or else the sentence would be mangled.

#2340    NO-ID-EA

NO-ID-EA

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

It makes sense, but I prefer a translation that is as close to the original as possible. Sandbach regularly changed sentences, added stuff or completely left out pieces of sentences. He also made a lot of mistakes, but I have understood he was married with a Dutch wife who helped with the translation from Ottema's translation into English.

And there is also quite a difference between Sandbach's "always" and the correct "everywhere".

Btw, "brit" can't be the name of a town or else the sentence would be mangled.

No i dont mean the actual name of a town , i mean the jews had safe towns , or refuge towns where you could escape to if the kin of someone you harmed were after you . read the other day that the name scot meant criminal.......wonder if that is where the saying "getting off scot free " comes from.....escaping the death penalty. ??

Edited by NO-ID-EA, 25 January 2013 - 09:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users