Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NBA's Jason Collins comes out as gay

nba

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,855 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

At the chance of making an unpopular statement, why does he feel the need to interject his sexuality into the mix?  What does this have to do with basketball for crying out loud?  I have heard rumors that there were homosexuals in the NBA and the NFL since the 70's and could care less.  I seriously doubt that once you're at the level of being paid millions to win for your team that your sex life is an issue with you team mates, coaches, referees, or the league.

Attention whore or ground breaking civil rights model?  You make the call.  Just BS IMO.

Edit to add, I've got a slight case of the flu and it's making me grouchy, can you tell?

Edited by OverSword, 01 May 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#17    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 5,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Good for him and it took courage.  

Doesn't it really take courage to be a gay, 7' tall black mans' boyfriend?    :cry:    That's gotta hurt.

#18    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

First it was tolerance.

Then it was acceptance.

Now it's praise.

Is participation next?

#19    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 01 May 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

First it was tolerance.

Then it was acceptance.

Now it's praise.

Is participation next?

Yep... Better watch out or you'll get the cooties.

If it makes you feel better, most learned that blueprint from the christians.  Too bad ancient Romans didn't keep with their original convictions, huh?

I can relate to your conviction quote, as I have absolutely no tolerance for intolerant individuals.

#20    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,855 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

I too don't see the need to praise your innate sexual attractions.

Congratulations! Your sexual attractions are in the minority! This is a momentous moment!

Edit. Imagine if you had a car fetish, latex fetish or both, where you can only get off while in a car covered in latex. Would you be as comfortable with others "coming out" about that particular sexual attraction? Would there be a need to "come out"?

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 01 May 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#21    dmurdock36

dmurdock36

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

I think he just did it to get a job, he averages 1.1 points per game and only played in 7 games last year, this year if he hadnt come out he would have been out of a job, but since he came out and the media is hyping this thing up he is sure to get a job somewhere just so the NBA can say they arent anti gay.

Edited by dmurdock36, 01 May 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#22    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• 2,049 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 01 May 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

First it was tolerance.

Then it was acceptance.

Now it's praise.

Is participation next?

I think you got this a little backwards. I agree with others here that it shouldn't be a big deal. But the fact that it is shows that we might be getting better at the 'tolerance' part, but we've a way to go with the 'acceptance'. When, as a society, we manage this then people wouldn't feel the need to 'praise' this individual - it just wouldn't be a big deal. But, we're not there, yet.

#23    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,576 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

All over the TV I see people talking about how young black kids need quality black role models so they can identify with them, and jewish, or handicapped or anything. Something a kid can relate to so they can more easily look up to the person I guess. Why can't gay kids have the same attitude about role models for them?

Who cares if he's gay? I don't. But maybe some young kid struggling with his sexuality does. Maybe he can look up to this tall, athletic, manly guy and realize there's someone out there like him.

What the heck's wrong with that?

Edited by Purplos, 01 May 2013 - 10:59 PM.

Embrace the impossible.

#24    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,052 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 01 May 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I too don't see the need to praise your innate sexual attractions.

Congratulations! Your sexual attractions are in the minority! This is a momentous moment!

Edit. Imagine if you had a car fetish, latex fetish or both, where you can only get off while in a car covered in latex. Would you be as comfortable with others "coming out" about that particular sexual attraction? Would there be a need to "come out"?

I personally wouldn't care one way or the other.  It's also not the same thing, as homosexuals are attracted to other humans, and it's human equality I'm sticking up for.  If you want to have some sexual relationship with your car, lamp, house, etc, more power to you.  If you're trying to parlay that attraction to an inanimate object into the object having the same treatment as a human, then you'll have a valid comparison. If that were to happen, you and I will be on the same side.

Bottom line for any issue to all:  If something someone does 'bothers' you, and they aren't doing anything to you, then that's your issue, not theirs.  If this guy coming out bothers you, that's your problem.  If the dude in your neighborhood has sexual relations with his latex covered car and announces it to the world, if that bothers you, that's your problem.

#25    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,855 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 01 May 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

I personally wouldn't care one way or the other.  It's also not the same thing, as homosexuals are attracted to other humans, and it's human equality I'm sticking up for.  If you want to have some sexual relationship with your car, lamp, house, etc, more power to you.  If you're trying to parlay that attraction to an inanimate object into the object having the same treatment as a human, then you'll have a valid comparison. If that were to happen, you and I will be on the same side.

Bottom line for any issue to all:  If something someone does 'bothers' you, and they aren't doing anything to you, then that's your issue, not theirs.  If this guy coming out bothers you, that's your problem.  If the dude in your neighborhood has sexual relations with his latex covered car and announces it to the world, if that bothers you, that's your problem.

It doesn't bother me at all.

I was just pointing out that there are many other sexual attractions that involve consenting adults and/or inanimate objects. Shouldn't a young person with that type of sexual attraction have a strong role model too?

All i am saying is that it is your personal sex life, why make it public?

Edit. That goes for straights too

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 01 May 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#26    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

My personal opinion - this is simply a ploy to guarantee that he gets picked up by another team for next season.

You've got an end of career guy who has bounced around between 6 teams over the last 12 years.  Chances are he wasn't going to get picked up next year.  But now, he publicly comes out and suddenly if he's not picked up, it's because the league is homophobic - the NBA can't have that, now can they.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#27    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,500 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 30 April 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Yeah saw this on the TV,why is this such a big deal in the USA.

Is North America Homophobic ?

Not really, but masculine activities (like sports, for instance) are still having a tough time dealing with the subject.

#28    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,052 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 01 May 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

It doesn't bother me at all.

I was just pointing out that there are many other sexual attractions that involve consenting adults and/or inanimate objects. Shouldn't a young person with that type of sexual attraction have a strong role model too?

All i am saying is that it is your personal sex life, why make it public?

Edit. That goes for straights too

PB, I agree with your sentiment.  Arbenol a couple posts back sums it up pretty well;  it shouldn't matter.

With that said, this particular group of people have been oppressed recently and still are in areas around the world.  Even here in the U.S., there is still a lot of oppression, so whenever someone in the limelight comes out, it reinforces the fact that it's not some forbidden practice, or a demonizing practice.  To you and where you live, this may be common sense.  Pay attention to some American posters on here, you'll see what I mean.

I mean, look up the origin of the word '******'.  Why did Elton John stay in the closet so long, he's clearly gay?

Edit:  Didn't know the word that's derogatory towards gay males was censored on the site.

Edited by green_dude777, 01 May 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#29    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 01 May 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

He's a good baller.

average at best, especially for a 7 footer, do your research

View PostMyles, on 01 May 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Good for him and it took courage.  

Doesn't it really take courage to be a gay, 7' tall black mans' boyfriend? :cry: That's gotta hurt.

LOL

#30    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,823 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postg00dfella, on 02 May 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

average at best, especially for a 7 footer, do your research

Posted Image

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users