Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Huge ice island breaks from Greenland glacier

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,614 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

An ice island four times the size of Manhattan has broken off from one of Greenland's two main glaciers in the biggest such event in the Arctic in nearly 50 years.

The new ice island, which broke off on Thursday, will enter a remote place called the Nares Strait, about 620 miles south of the North Pole between Greenland and Canada.

The ice island has an area of 100 square miles and a thickness of up to half the height of the Empire State Building, said Andreas Muenchow, professor of ocean science and engineering at the University of Delaware.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

Do we still have any Global warming skeptics left, or has the recent floods in Pakistan, the massive heat wave in Russia and this humongous Iceberg calving put paid to all that nonsense.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,902 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 07 August 2010 - 01:30 PM, said:

Do we still have any Global warming skeptics left, or has the recent floods in Pakistan, the massive heat wave in Russia and this humongous Iceberg calving put paid to all that nonsense.

Br Cornelius
Just as many incidents involving cooler temperatures(cold snaps and snow in regions that hadn't seen any in living memory) have happened in the last few years as well.  Even the article claims that the ice break-off is nothing new, it was expected to happen for reasons much more solid than irrationally claiming "It's global warming's fault!".

Mr Muenchow said he had expected an ice chunk to break off from the Petermann Glacier, one of the two largest remaining ones in Greenland, because it had been growing in size for seven or eight years.

How could ice have possibly been growing if the world is going to die from unprecedented heat?

He said it was hard to judge whether the event occurred due to global warming  because records on the seawater around the glacier have only been kept since 2003.

So there you have it, a glacier broke off when it got too big and we don't have enough data to blame the natural occurrence on AGW.

There's no denying the phenomena of natural global warming exists, but there's nothing that links AGW to this event.

#4    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

View PostWickian, on 07 August 2010 - 07:12 PM, said:

Just as many incidents involving cooler temperatures(cold snaps and snow in regions that hadn't seen any in living memory) have happened in the last few years as well.  Even the article claims that the ice break-off is nothing new, it was expected to happen for reasons much more solid than irrationally claiming "It's global warming's fault!".

Wickian-the reason some places got more snow last year is that lakes that normally froze over in the past didn't.  So there was more moisture in the air because water didn't stop evaporating.  So there was more precipitation.  Is this ignorance of balances in the ecosystem for real or is it some sort of political affectation?  You really don't see how global warming could result in more snow?

Edited by Siara, 07 August 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#5    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

I honestly wonder whether the refusal to see global warming is sort of like the people looking straight at Obama's Hawaiian birth certificate, listening to the Republican governor of Hawaii testify that she's seen the certificate, and then saying the certificate doesn't exist. Some people are simply unable to observe the external world.

I was watching a biography on Galileo this morning and they mentioned that when Galileo invented the telescope and discovered the moons of Jupiter people from the Catholic Church (ie- the Inquisition) could look directly at the moons through his telescope and literally couldn't see them.  They were literally blinded by their ideology.  When regular people described what they saw through the telescope, they described the spheres of the moons.  Uneducated, objective people could see them.  People from the church literally couldn't see them.

I'm starting to think global warming might be like that.  Some people are so wedded to their ideology they can look right at it and not see it.  It's a frightening ability-- the ability not to see-- but it's historically it's been in evidence again and again.

Edited by Siara, 08 August 2010 - 12:14 AM.

#6    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

giant glacier breaks off... during summer  :mellow:

oh, no.. weather of any type, causing effects of any kind... it must be man made global warming or man made climate change.

#7    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

View Postexpandmymind, on 08 August 2010 - 02:32 AM, said:

oh, no.. weather of any type, causing effects of any kind... it must be man made global warming or man made climate change.

When  does a series of exceptional climatic events stop been just coincidence. When do record setting temperature stop been just unusual. When does 3million Pakistani's been flooded out of their homes as predicted by scientists stop been just a freak accident. When does a long term shift in local weather stop been just normal.
The calving of huge ice sheets is just another tiny clue among many and that is what my original post was referencing.

When Climate change is the underlying cause is the answer to all these questions.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#8    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

The main arguments against climate change are always given with the specific use of the words 'global warming', which hasn't been scientifically accurate for a decade. Well, in a sense it's still accurate, but not the sense that naysayers always refer it it. It does not mean a warming of the temperatures globally. Anyone who knows a few specifics about temperature, such as how strongly it is affected by ocean currents, would know global temperature warming is ridiculous.
The climate is changing because that is what happens to the Earth, constantly. The Earth evolves, changes, just like everything else. And just like everything else it generally happens too slowly for human perception, which is why it's so easy to dismiss.
A lot of the temperature change is due to the warming of specific ocean currents, which have been in a perfect balance with our specific temperatures for a long time, and the changing of those currents (and carrying different temperatures to different parts of the globe) could have a potentially disastrous effect on the delicate ecosystems of various parts of our planet.

What is in debate is just how much of an affect constant human pollution is having on the balances.
The media isn't reporting on just how much observation of these occurrences there have been very much, for due reason. But these events are happening at a frequency never expected. A similar iceberg broke from Antarctica last year and was still significantly large when it was sighted off the coast of Australia a while later.
http://www.telegraph...-Australia.html

It's rather ignorant to simply assume we are not having an affect on our planet by pumping toxic pollutants into the air, ocean and land with increasing ferocity, almost like saying our physical waste is not having an affect on the land when it's dumped unceremoniously in large quantities over what we consider 'wastelands'.
Even if we weren't, does that simply give us the right to continue dumping toxic rubbish everywhere without trying to change ourselves for the better? Why is the general argument always "We're not having an impact, so we don't have to stop polluting"?
We are such a selfish species.

The latest article in my blog is about pretty much this same discussion, with a few added digs at consumerism and the oil spill issues, if anyone is interested.

#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

One point of correction. Average mean temperature of the planetary system is increasing (by about 1 degree centigrade) as more energy is trapped within the system. Hence the term Global warming is accurate on a global scale. The effects are exactly as you describe, with changes in energy flow within the system. These energy flow changes cause the climate to change locally as you describe, and with the effect of more dramatic climatic events on a increasingly regular basis. My local climate is radically different from it pattern of just 10 years ago, which indicates the speed of change happening.

br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 08 August 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

My local climate is radically different from it pattern of just 10 years ago, which indicates the speed of change happening.

I think very few people who can remember back 40 years would say the climate hasn't changed.

#11    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 08 August 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

One point of correction. Average mean temperature of the planetary system is increasing (by about 1 degree centigrade) as more energy is trapped within the system.

Quite right of course friend. :) However, the point I was trying to get at is the conclusion of these warming/changing events shall not necessarily be a hotter planet, as much of the doubters seem to believe. More like a concerning shift in the temperatures of specific areas of the globe. Snow in South Africa (http://www.canada.co...a5eb908&k=18493), hot dry deserts in Canada.

The Greenhouse Effect was the term I remember originally being used to discuss the topic of overall temperatures rising due to human pollution. More warmth from the sun entering the Earth and being trapped by the smog. Is that the same debate, or a different area of warming?

#12    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

View PostBurnSide, on 08 August 2010 - 07:44 PM, said:

Quite right of course friend. :) However, the point I was trying to get at is the conclusion of these warming/changing events shall not necessarily be a hotter planet, as much of the doubters seem to believe. More like a concerning shift in the temperatures of specific areas of the globe. Snow in South Africa (http://www.canada.co...a5eb908&k=18493), hot dry deserts in Canada.

The Greenhouse Effect was the term I remember originally being used to discuss the topic of overall temperatures rising due to human pollution. More warmth from the sun entering the Earth and being trapped by the smog. Is that the same debate, or a different area of warming?

Essentially the CO2 increases the effective insulating potential of the air which means that the point at which the incoming energy equals the outgoing rises in the atmosphere. This equates to more overall energy in the system.

The property of CO2 which is critical is that it is transparent to incoming UV and Visible light so allows it to reach the surface. When it reaches the surface it is absorbed by the earth which then re-radiates the energy at longer wavelengths of Infra Red which CO2 absorbs. Half of the energy is re-radiated back down to earth and so the energy spends longer in the atmosphere. rather than escaping back to space.

This is the mechanism which drives global warming, but how it actually pans out to specific energy flows within the system, and hence the climate changes it produces, is almost impossible to accurately model. Hence the uncertainties in the prediction s which are been made.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 08 August 2010 - 08:39 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#13    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Exactly as I thought. For all we know because of the effects of Global Warming (I still prefer Climate Change, it's less general) we could infact he heading for a number of potential conclusions, including a new Ice Age.

#14    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,772 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 08 August 2010 - 02:32 AM, said:

exactly. We Humans don't like change, but sadly for us we live on a ever changing planet, am just glad the lad from the Planet of the Apes is living now and not 200 million years in the future when the next supercontinent Pangaea Ultima will probably form. he's so worried over what can be considered in the grand scheme of things minute fluctuating of the climate, he'd go Ape over trying to control - continental drift.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,654 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 08 August 2010 - 09:24 PM, said:

exactly. We Humans don't like change, but sadly for us we live on a ever changing planet, am just glad the lad from the Planet of the Apes is living now and not 200 million years in the future when the next supercontinent Pangaea Ultima will probably form. he's so worried over what can be considered in the grand scheme of things minute fluctuating of the climate, he'd go Ape over trying to control - continental drift.

If your refering to me the iam not amused.
Change is fine if you allow time to adapt, and the process of forming a super continent would take millions of years, plenty of adaption time there then.
Man made climate change is something altogether more dramtic and sudden. Good luck on your adaption stratergy :lol: :lol:

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users