Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How to get fresh water out of thin air

thin air rainfall fresh water fog water

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 41,351 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

In some of this planet’s driest regions, where rainfall is rare or even nonexistent, a few specialized plants and insects have devised ingenious strategies to provide themselves with the water necessary for life: They pull it right out of the air, from fog that drifts in from warm oceans nearby.

Now researchers at MIT, working in collaboration with colleagues in Chile, are seeking to mimic that trick on a much larger scale, potentially supplying significant quantities of clean, potable water in places where there are few alternatives.

Posted Image

#2    Q-C

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Very clever! (those bugs, and people too) I remember watching this little guy on a science show: Namib desert beetle
http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-20465982  apparently it inspired a water bottle design too

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool. Just leave enough for the plants and animals, please...

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#4    cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

Mealworms, common feeders found in many animal hobbies are in the same family as those Namib desert beetles.  The family is found all kinds of desert and desert like settings, I wonder if any other species have the trick coating?

There are desert roaches in the USA (genus Arenivaga) and in other parts of the world (genus Polyphagia) that have organ things in their mouth that let them extract and drink water from the air.  I caught a local species (maybe Arenivaga investigata, i never did ID it) and was rehydrating it (in very dry times it dramatically increases captives survival rate to keep them in a little box with a moist paper towel for a couple days after you catch them).  Well, it appears they can't turn their water extractors off... when I checked on it after a couple days the poor thing was dead and looked like a full water balloon.  Shame, too, it was the only mature female I ever found.

#5    ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 4,367 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

All I need is a sponge to wipe my car (poor thing has to sleep outdoors) over each morning, for about a litre - humid climate, cold metal and glass...

My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - ChrLzs

The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - ChrLzs

#6    seeder

Nut Cracker

• 12,203 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

similar thread again in Peru, free water from the air

http://www.unexplain...ert water&st=0

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users