Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SETI search shows no signs of intell. life

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

The exoplanets of greatest interest show no sign of intelligent civilisations–so far.

The discovery of an ever-growing number of potentially habitable exoplanets brings an extra spiciness to the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. For the first time, astronomers can direct the search towards these likely planets rather than aiming in hope towards the stars.
Today, Jill Tarter, from the SETI Institute and of Contact fame, along with a group of buddies, reveal the results of their first directed search, carried out between February and April 2011.
These guys pointed the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia at 86 stars hosting exoplanets discovered by the Kepler space telescope. They chose their targets because they had exoplanets in the Goldilocks zone, had five or more exoplanets or had super Earths with relatively long orbits.

http://www.technolog...or-jill-tarter/

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,054 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

only 86 stars?? thats alot but theres thousands and maybe more Stars waiting to be found :su

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,380 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

There may be life,but not as we know it,but supposing you were on an Alien planet able to recieve radio signals,would you reply instantly or wait to see what the other guys were up to.One day we shall get a signal back, then what happens ?.Peace in their language might mean total elimination.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,100 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

so many stars to check.. it could also be.. the planets we are looking could have advance tech that no longer uses radio waves..

the signals we are looking for could have already passed us during our very early years.. who knows., still it is interesting :)

#5    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,372 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

SETI search shows no signs of intell. life

I could've told you that.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#6    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Hermit

• 1,537 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

86 down and only roughly 1 septillion to go!

#7    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 11 February 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

I could've told you that.

Maybe we should just all sit on our butts, and wait for ET to come to us (like the woo woos do) and tell us that nukes are bad toys. Take care of the planet.

KOMBA YA YA  KOMBA YAAAA

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#8    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 11 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

86 down and only roughly 1 septillion to go!
Yeah I agree

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

The equipment we are using could be so dated to them, they may not be able to receive it. I know my mobile phone will not ring if someone tried to send it smoke signals.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

And 86 out of how many millions?
They may well be pointed at the wrong part of the haystack.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Hermit

• 1,537 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

And 86 out of how many millions?
They may well be pointed at the wrong part of the haystack.

a fewww more than a million ;)

#12    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

The equipment we are using could be so dated to them, they may not be able to receive it. I know my mobile phone will not ring if someone tried to send it smoke signals.

Then what do you think we should use.... Quantum entanglement..... Subspace communication!!?

We can only use what we know and have.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#13    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostDBunker, on 11 February 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

Then what do you think we should use.... Quantum entanglement..... Subspace communication!!?

We can only use what we know and have.
How would I know? I was only pointing out that it may be dated, it may even be too advanced for them....or they do not use the same kind of communication systems as us, so it would be useless.....there may just be plants, or insects on  there, or fish or dinosaurs, apes or dogs, anything but human.....hence until we keep trying with other forms of communications we may just be wasting an awful lot of billions.
The system we are using is man made, so unless they have the same mindset as us, its useless.
The only way we will really know is by landing on one of them,,,,but that is still a long way off.

#14    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  If there's intelligent life out there, then it's so scarce that the possibility of detecting a signal is next to none.

Given Drake's equation, SETI should have gotten a "hit" the very first time they fired up.  Sure, they wouldn't all be using "primitive" radio signals to communicate.  But let's say only .001 percent of the possible civilizations out there use exactly what we use.  There are literally trillions upon trillions upon trillions of stars in the universe.  The majority likely have planets.

The entire dial should have been lit up as soon as SETI turned on.

Dr. Phil says that marriage is hard work.

I say....if marriage is hard work, you're doing it wrong.  Love is not work.  Love is eternal.

http://www.reverbnat...om/tjflickinger

#15    MedicTJ

MedicTJ

Psychic Spy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Let me put it a better way.  Only about once every 500 years or so do we witness a supernova event in our galaxy......but scientists study the phenomenon every single day.  Several times.

That should give you a hint.

Dr. Phil says that marriage is hard work.

I say....if marriage is hard work, you're doing it wrong.  Love is not work.  Love is eternal.

http://www.reverbnat...om/tjflickinger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users