Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Our Galaxy is Destined for Head-on Collision

milky way andromeda galaxy collision hubble galaxies

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

THIS IS A REAL DOOMSDAY PREDICTION! lucky for us its 4,000,000,000 years away. we actually have EVIDENCE this time. not like the other doomsday predictions no offense howard camping :P

#17    esperwolf

esperwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

• A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Amazing, Oh if only I could be alive to see this. It isn't doomsday but the rebirth of a solar system. Imagine this the first ever galaxy with two suns. An Earth with a oval rotation instead of rounded. Days would last a lot longer with only a few hours of darkness. We may even obtain another moon in our orbit. We would not have another ice age but a Desert Age of sands...sounds like a Sci-Fi flick...never mind me I'm just rambling.

#18    Pyridium

Pyridium

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

The real news here is that we have now been able to measure the direction and speed with absolute accuracy.  4 years ago we could see that both galaxies were moving toward each other, but now the proof is in...a direct collision.  This is also proof that gravity has been attracting each other for a very long time, to the point where a direct collision is unavoidable.  Gotta luv mother nature.

Any gravitational pull strong enough to pull our sun will result in the total disruption of our solar system.

#19    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postcsspwns, on 02 June 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

THIS IS A REAL DOOMSDAY PREDICTION! lucky for us its 4,000,000,000 years away. we actually have EVIDENCE this time. not like the other doomsday predictions no offense howard camping :P
No. This will probably not have any noticeable impact on the Earth.

View Postesperwolf, on 02 June 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

Amazing, Oh if only I could be alive to see this. It isn't doomsday but the rebirth of a solar system. Imagine this the first ever galaxy with two suns. An Earth with a oval rotation instead of rounded. Days would last a lot longer with only a few hours of darkness. We may even obtain another moon in our orbit. We would not have another ice age but a Desert Age of sands...sounds like a Sci-Fi flick...never mind me I'm just rambling.
No. The Earth's orbit is unlikely to be affected. The new merged galaxy might have two galactic cores for a while, but that is about it. We will not get a new moon. It is incredibly unlikely that we will get another star.

View PostPyridium, on 02 June 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Any gravitational pull strong enough to pull our sun will result in the total disruption of our solar system.
No. The net gravitational pull from Andromeda, while vast, will change gradually enough that it will almost certainly not disrupt our Solar system. It will just ``slide'' our Solar system smoothly and slowly to a new location within the merged galaxy.

#20    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

To add to what Sepulchrave said, the stars of both galaxies are so far apart, it is likely that most solar systems will be unaffected. Would be a nice sight in the sky though. Our sun may be a red giant around this period.

Edited by Mentalcase, 02 June 2012 - 10:42 PM.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#21    WeaselsRippedMyFlesh

WeaselsRippedMyFlesh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

• From the Earth up through the trees, I can hear her calling me.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

People are worrying about this now,but who knows, the human race might become extinct way before. The bigger concern is us not killing ourselves by nuclear missiles.

#22    meankitty

meankitty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• Yes, I CAN read your mind.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Would somebody please fix the title of the article? "Andromedia" offended my eyeballs.

#23    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

I was worried we'd all die, but in 4 billion years I can't even imagine where humanity will be.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#24    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,830 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

View Postsepulchrave, on 02 June 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

No. This will probably not have any noticeable impact on the Earth.

No. The Earth's orbit is unlikely to be affected. The new merged galaxy might have two galactic cores for a while, but that is about it. We will not get a new moon. It is incredibly unlikely that we will get another star.

No. The net gravitational pull from Andromeda, while vast, will change gradually enough that it will almost certainly not disrupt our Solar system. It will just ``slide'' our Solar system smoothly and slowly to a new location within the merged galaxy.

I thought that the likelihood is that our system will end up near the edge of an arm giving us quite a spectacular view of the new Galaxy? Although water will be boiled of the earth around this time wont it? I thought what happens in the merge was still a little up in the air to be honest, but it gives us something other than the Sun burning out to think about I guess!

I actually had no idea this was not confirmed earlier. I thought it was some time ago. I have mentioned the event in the ET section of the forum many times, our new Milkomeda Galaxy :D when people talk about the sun burning up. The Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy (a globular cluster with type II stars) is currently colliding with the Milky Way about 70,000 light years away from earth, and should hit the center of the galaxy in about 100,000 years. But if I had a choice, I'd like to be here in about 11 million years when Phobos will either smash into Mars of become a new ring around it.

Edited by psyche101, 14 June 2012 - 06:57 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#25    Unknownguy

Unknownguy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Imagine a planet's, stars, ect ect passing our skies, now that'll be a sight

#26    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

It makes me sad that Earth won't be around for very long. If we as a species become space born, we could loose our place of birth and feel disconnected if it gets lost in history. All historical landmarks or information about the past would be burned up in the red giant if it engulfs Earth. There is two possibilities, Earth would move out of range of Red Giant but be stripped of atmosphere or be engulfed by the red giant. By the time the merger between two galaxies happen, Earth would either be gone or inhabitable.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 19 June 2012 - 05:34 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users